Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:17 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times

Advertisements

A couple of years ago I went off sweets and went on a keto diet where I lost 40 lbs. Now I eat a normal diet but minus the sweets and I try to eat whole foods as much as possible and that includes wheat. In fact, my favorite food group is bread! But what I have noticed is that when I eat bread and pasta, it's really easy to binge on these so I have to go easy. That goes for the whole grain items, which is the only thing I would eat anyway. Also, I make bread but that's dangerous b/c I could inhale a whole loaf of fresh hot bread lol (with butter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,092,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Does she drink? Even more than sugar, alcohol tends to go directly to belly fat
It can also lead to an enlarged liver which pushes the fat "out" making for a more prominent abdominal area.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:37 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,092,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
A couple of years ago I went off sweets and went on a keto diet where I lost 40 lbs. Now I eat a normal diet but minus the sweets and I try to eat whole foods as much as possible and that includes wheat. In fact, my favorite food group is bread! But what I have noticed is that when I eat bread and pasta, it's really easy to binge on these so I have to go easy. That goes for the whole grain items, which is the only thing I would eat anyway. Also, I make bread but that's dangerous b/c I could inhale a whole loaf of fresh hot bread lol (with butter).
I could eat nothing but bread & pasta for the rest of my life & be happy. Veggies? Meh... Meat? Meh... Dairy? Ok; I like my cheese but I prefer the goats milk cheeses like Feta.

I'm convinced that carbs are not as evil as they are made out to be...increase your activity & burn them off.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Carbs make people fat. Gluten contains carbs. Avoid gluten to avoid those empty carbs.
Excess calories make people fat, not carbs, per se.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Excess calories make people fat, not carbs, per se.

The dreaded carb argument will not die. Carbs do not make people fat. Sheesh.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:47 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

The dreaded carb argument will not die. Carbs do not make people fat. Sheesh.
Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant. Those that consume wheat frequently will generally consume more carbs.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant. Those that consume wheat frequently will generally consume more carbs.
Nope.

Should You Worry About Wheat? | Berkeley Wellness

"There’s no clinical evidence that differences between today’s wheat and older varieties have adverse effects on our health."

"Wheat is a staple in most parts of the world, and there’s little or no correlation between regional intakes (as a proportion of daily calories) and rates of obesity. Per capita wheat consumption in the U.S. has actually dropped since 2000, but there’s no sign that that is slowing the expansion of our waistlines. In fact, a century ago Americans ate much more wheat than we do today, and very few were obese..."

"Many studies have linked higher intakes of whole grains, including whole wheat, with a reduced risk of diabetes, heart disease and stroke, as well as improvements in blood cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar control. Other studies have found that whole wheat can help people control their weight and/or lose body fat..."

Old 08-17-2016, 03:38 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Crikey I've been doing it all wrong then.. I've dropped over 40 lbs since February and one of my daily staples is Franzs' 9 grain bread!

Total Carbohydrate 21g 9%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars 4g 9%
Added Sugars 4g 17%
Protein 5g 10%

I toast it, smear a tablespoon of peanut butter on it, add 1/8 cup fresh granola and top with 1/2 sliced banana. Glass of 2% milk and I've had breakfast!

Old 08-17-2016, 05:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
^^Yup. My husband has lost 20 pounds so far after [finally] listening to me by cutting down on fat and increasing carbs.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:39 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Nope.

Should You Worry About Wheat? | Berkeley Wellness

"There’s no clinical evidence that differences between today’s wheat and older varieties have adverse effects on our health."

"Wheat is a staple in most parts of the world, and there’s little or no correlation between regional intakes (as a proportion of daily calories) and rates of obesity. Per capita wheat consumption in the U.S. has actually dropped since 2000, but there’s no sign that that is slowing the expansion of our waistlines. In fact, a century ago Americans ate much more wheat than we do today, and very few were obese..."

"Many studies have linked higher intakes of whole grains, including whole wheat, with a reduced risk of diabetes, heart disease and stroke, as well as improvements in blood cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar control. Other studies have found that whole wheat can help people control their weight and/or lose body fat..."
I love how all the "counterpoints" have no actually basis for any factual studies that prove what these UC Berkeley people are saying. As usual, I would glean that money factors into opinions and how much corporate money is supporting the university via big agriculture.
HOWEVER, most people benefit from not consuming wheat as there are many other food options to choose from that are better quality with fewer negative health implications. Some of these posters that claim "success" in losing weight by adding wheat are an exception to the rule overall.
As mentioned previously, you can't completely explain away the extreme obesity epidemic and just point to processed foods alone- even though modern wheat certainly is found in many processed foods that are consumed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss