Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You'd probably be better off to be eating high carb on a mostly vegetarian diet of whole foods.

Meal Planning for Vegetarian Diets: American Diabetes Association®

Vegetarian diet: Can it help me control my diabetes? - Mayo Clinic
Yes, if I have a death wish. I am a diabetic. There's no way I could do high carb anything. Carbs are my enemy now and should have been a long time ago. I am perfectly fine with my diet. I feel great, have plenty of energy and don't feel hungry, plus all my lab numbers are good as well.

As far as the ADA goes...
ADA’s Latest Low-Carb Stance Is Severely Flawed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM

Forgot to mention, Dr. Bernstein is a very trusted authority on how to treat diabetes with diet and now to normalize blood sugars to non-diabetic levels.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:44 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
I think people who have diabetes or celiac need to state their health before they tout their eating habits as the 'way' to eat.
One poster here is adamant about wheat, yet he has celiac. Well, duh? If you have diabetes and you are talking about low glycemic index foods, its good to mention right off the bat that you have diabetes.
My point is there are lots of different ways to eat, and not one way works for everyone. If you have a health issue and MUST eat a certain way, do not dictate to the rest of us that your way is the best way.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:35 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I think people who have diabetes or celiac need to state their health before they tout their eating habits as the 'way' to eat.
One poster here is adamant about wheat, yet he has celiac. Well, duh? If you have diabetes and you are talking about low glycemic index foods, its good to mention right off the bat that you have diabetes.
My point is there are lots of different ways to eat, and not one way works for everyone. If you have a health issue and MUST eat a certain way, do not dictate to the rest of us that your way is the best way.
OP mentioned in the first paragraph of the first post that he is diabetic.

Plenty of people who are not diabetic (at least, not diabetic yet) can benefit from eating low carb though. If someone has a family history of type 2 diabetes or has PCOS or even gains weight around the midsection rather than all over the body, they'll probably do better eating low carb than high carb, low fat. High carb, low fat is the diet trend that made many of us diabetic, by replacing the nutritious things in food that filled us up with sugar and telling us we were eating the right way to lose weight.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:49 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
OP mentioned in the first paragraph of the first post that he is diabetic.

Plenty of people who are not diabetic (at least, not diabetic yet) can benefit from eating low carb though. If someone has a family history of type 2 diabetes or has PCOS or even gains weight around the midsection rather than all over the body, they'll probably do better eating low carb than high carb, low fat. High carb, low fat is the diet trend that made many of us diabetic, by replacing the nutritious things in food that filled us up with sugar and telling us we were eating the right way to lose weight.
High carb, low fat is not what made you diabetic.

What made you fat was high processed, low fiber, low activity.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I never dictated anything. If you look at the title of the thread you will see that. This post is FYI, take it however you want to. I only listed those foods because they are the ones that a lot of people try to avoid. So if you go by carb content alone, rice which is at the bottom of the list would be the one which some people may want to eat without feeling so guilty. It is still an "empty" carb IMO or one that offers not much nutrition. I bet a lot of Chinese would disagree with that statement.

Last edited by gguerra; 07-28-2016 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I never dictated anything. If you look at the title of the thread you will see that. This post is FYI, take it however you want to. I only listed those foods because they are the ones that a lot of people try to avoid. So if you go by carb content alone, rice which is at the bottom of the list would be the one which some people may want to eat without feeling so guilty. It is still an "empty" carb IMO or one that offers not much nutrition. I bet a lot of Chinese would disagree with that statement.
There is a big difference between whole grain brown rice and processed white rice. Even white rice is not an empty carb, since it's nutrient content made up of a good portion of protein.

Asian cultures have been eating rice as a staple for centuries. Before the introduction of Western refined, high fat, and high animal product Western diets into those cultures, Type 2 diabetes was virtually unheard of.

What's so ironic about the low carb stupidity is that you can learn from the cultures from around the world that have the best health and the longest lives. They all have most of the same things in common and not one of those thing is eating low carb diets. Rather, it is actually the opposite.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 07-28-2016 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
There is a big difference between whole grain brown rice and processed white rice. Even white rice is not an empty carb, since it's nutrient content made up of a good portion of protein.

Asian cultures have been eating rice as a staple for centuries. Before the introduction of Western refined, high fat, and high animal product Western diets into those cultures, Type 2 diabetes was virtually unheard of.

What's so ironic about the low carb stupidity is that you can learn from the cultures from around the world that have the best health and the longest lives. They all have most of the same things in common and not one of those thing is eating low carb diets. Rather, it is actually the opposite.
Actually I was referring to white rice. I've never heard of Chinese consuming much brown rice. I could be wrong? So here is the nutrition for white rice. As you mentioned, it does have some protein but not much of anything else. Seems pretty empty to me. Looks like a small amount of B-6 and a trace amount of minerals.

Amount Per 1 cup (158 g)
Calories 206
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.4 g 0%
Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 2 mg 0%
Potassium 55 mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 45 g 15%
Dietary fiber 0.6 g 2%
Sugar 0.1 g
Protein 4.3 g 8%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 1%
Iron 1%
Vitamin D 0%
Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0%
Magnesium 4%

IMO T2 diabetes is mainly caused by excess consumption of carbohydrates and over processed foods such as flour and sugar. When we bombard our bodies with massive amounts of these foods our systems just break down. The pancreas is unable to keep up with the demand for insulin to stabilize blood sugar and eventually stops working the way it should. There are limits to everything. That is my theory. It's too late for me. I have no choice. It's not a stupid low carb thing. It's the choice between life and death, literally. I am not dictating that anyone should follow this diet and what you may think is stupid or just a fad has already past that point. It's down to science now.

It's a good point you made about learning from other cultures. Sure Asian people consume large amounts of rice. Why do they not suffer from the same problems we do? Because they actually get off their butt and are physically active. They don't spend hours and hours watching TV and playing video games.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:

IMO T2 diabetes is mainly caused by excess consumption of carbohydrates and over processed foods such as flour and sugar. When we bombard our bodies with massive amounts of these foods our systems just break down. The pancreas is unable to keep up with the demand for insulin to stabilize blood sugar and eventually breaks down. That is my theory. It's too late for me. I have no choice. It's not a stupid low carb thing. It's the choice between life and death, literally. I am not dictating that anyone should follow this diet and what you may think is stupid or just a fad has already past that point. It's down to science now.

It's not the carbs. It's the processed foods, high body fat, and sedentary lifestyle.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:56 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Quote:
Actually I was referring to white rice. I've never heard of Chinese consuming much brown rice. I could be wrong? So here is the nutrition for white rice. As you mentioned, it does have some protein but not much of anything else. Seems pretty empty to me. Looks like a small amount of B-6 and a trace amount of minerals.

Amount Per 1 cup (158 g)
Calories 206
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.4 g 0%
Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 2 mg 0%
Potassium 55 mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 45 g 15%
Dietary fiber 0.6 g 2%
Sugar 0.1 g
Protein 4.3 g 8%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 1%
Iron 1%
Vitamin D 0%
Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0%
Magnesium 4%

IMO T2 diabetes is mainly caused by excess consumption of carbohydrates and over processed foods such as flour and sugar. When we bombard our bodies with massive amounts of these foods our systems just break down. The pancreas is unable to keep up with the demand for insulin to stabilize blood sugar and eventually breaks down. That is my theory. It's too late for me. I have no choice. It's not a stupid low carb thing. It's the choice between life and death, literally. I am not dictating that anyone should follow this diet and what you may think is stupid or just a fad has already past that point. It's down to science now.
During times when food was less plentiful, people in China ate brown rice because processing it reduced the volume by about 20 percent and they couldn't spare that 20 percent. So apparently brown rice is associated with hunger and famine and white rice is preferred by many people in China.

To me T2 diabetes is the body's inability to process carbs the right way. My endocrinologist says it's hereditary...after I was diagnosed, she asked how many of my siblings had been diagnosed and told me I should urge them to get tested. Both found out they were prediabetic. When I was diagnosed, I had been taking a high dose of a steroid to control hemorrhage, and that's probably why my A1C was high enough to be considered diabetic, because it's never been higher than 5.2 since I stopped taking the steroid (which had warnings that it could cause diabetes, but I had no choice about taking it). The diagnosis was useful to me though, because it made me examine my diet and start tracking my food. I've figured out that only way that I can lose weight is to limit my carbs to 130g a day. That's not low carb by a long shot but it's lower than many people eat. If I go over that, it doesn't matter if the carbs come from fruit or from junk food. It doesn't matter how much I limit my total calories, if I eat more carbs than that, I can't lose weight. I've tracked my weight, exercise and food intake for a couple of years and it always comes back to the carbs for me. I tried to lose weight for years the way I had been taught when I was growing up...low fat, high carb, moderate exercise, and I never lost any weight until I learned to limit my carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss