Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:32 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,433,075 times

Advertisements

This is for low carb people. If you don't believe in low carb dieting, that's OK but no bashing please. It is also useful for diabetics on low carb. It is a hypothesis but makes sense (to me anyways).

Why Low Carb Is High in Fat – Not Protein
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:55 AM

134 posts, read 189,724 times
It doesn't work long term and can be quite dangerous. A mostly raw vegan diet is better

Old 09-20-2016, 11:36 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,891,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This is for low carb people. If you don't believe in low carb dieting, that's OK but no bashing please. It is also useful for diabetics on low carb. It is a hypothesis but makes sense (to me anyways).

What makes sense to me is to look at the dietary practices in areas of the world that have the highest longevity rates and lowest chronic disease rates (Here Are the Secrets to a Long and Healthy Life), compare that to the diets that have the highest chronic disease and early death rates (https://myheartsisters.org/2010/07/1...ase-countries/ , Which Countries Have the Highest and Lowest Cancer Rates? – Insight) and make dietary decisions based on that.

Based on this, the healthiest diets are plant-based with very little animal products and little or no processed foods and the unhealthiest are those that contain high levels of saturated fat, animal products and processed foods.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:16 PM

The idea behind the article (if you actually read it) is to state that a low carb/high fat (LCHF) diet is superior in many ways to just a low carb diet. It is desirable to consume less protein and more fat when doing low carb. Eating more protein especially animal protein, increases insulin in the body which keeps you fat. IMO, the fat itself should come from plant and some animal sources. I am not and will never become a vegetarian. Now that is not sustainable for me and it's not for many others. So let's be realistic here. Yes I eat the skin on the chicken, some of the fat from my steak, dairy, fatty fish like salmon, avocado, vinaigrettes made with olive oil, coconut oil for cooking, almonds etc. Oh and BTW, some of these fats I mention are saturated and are natural plant based fats. So saturated by itself does not make it a bad thing. It is actually a good thing. I personally do NOT do vegetable or industrial seed oils like Canola.

Top 8 Reasons Not to Fear Saturated Fats

Quote:
If you overeat dietary protein, according to the Hormonal Obesity Theory, you can still develop obesity. This is the key insight behind the more recent LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat) movement rather than the pure Low Carb movements (Atkins and others) which do not restrict either fat or protein.

Last edited by gguerra; 09-20-2016 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 12:22 PM

It's all part of the same deal... the "nutrientization" of diet.

Any dietary plan that is concerned with specific nutrients such as fat, carb, or protein instead of focusing on real foods is a recipe for failure. We've seen that over and over and over again for years on end now.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,604,980 times
Quote:

In Asia, people eat a super high carb diet and remain thin. Diet high in rice, noodles, sauces, but lots of fish, shell fish products, and fermented foods. Which is completely opposite of the low carb dieting trend.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
The idea behind the article (if you actually read it) is to state that a low carb/high fat (LCHF) diet is superior in many ways to just a low carb diet. It is desirable to consume less protein and more fat when doing low carb. Eating more protein especially animal protein, increases insulin in the body which keeps you fat. IMO, the fat itself should come from plant and some animal sources. I am not and will never become a vegetarian. Now that is not sustainable for me and it's not for many others. So let's be realistic here. Yes I eat the skin on the chicken, some of the fat from my steak, dairy, fatty fish like salmon, avocado, vinaigrettes made with olive oil, coconut oil for cooking, almonds etc. Oh and BTW, some of these fats I mention are saturated and are natural plant based fats. So saturated by itself does not make it a bad thing. It is actually a good thing. I personally do NOT do vegetable or industrial seed oils like Canola.

Top 8 Reasons Not to Fear Saturated Fats

Most of the studies cited in that article do not support the conclusions he is making.

Speaking of sustainable or not, are you making sure all of you animal products come from sources that are grass/pasture fed? Because that's what he is claiming you have to do in order for those products to be healthy.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:52 PM

You're missing the entire point of the article. It's not about animal vs non-animal or grass fed vs non grass fed. It's about high protein vs high fat. That is why I posted it and I did it mainly for people that are already on low carb diets and believe in low carb diets. That is all.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
You're missing the entire point of the article. It's not about animal vs non-animal or grass fed vs non grass fed. It's about high protein vs high fat. That is why I posted it and I did it mainly for people that are already on low carb diets and believe in low carb diets. That is all.
High protein, high fat, low carb, whatever... doesn't matter. When it comes to healthy diets that promote healthy weight, the basic premise is flawed and doesn't work over the long run.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:19 AM

It does work and it has for a LOT of people including ME. My weight loss and lab work proves it and has for almost two years now and I don't plan on going back to my old way of eating ever, simple as that. So I don't know what you call the long run. There goes your theory. This a lifestyle change for me, NOT a diet.

You must know something nobody else does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss