Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,968 times

Advertisements

No, that title is not a typo.

One of the things that makes people not get the weight loss results that they want is that they may occassionally be starving their bodies.

There are two basic ways that this can happen. One is for it to be done inadvertently—like when you just get busy and forget to eat.

Another is when you purpose deprive your body of food to try and “speed up” your results.

Regardless of how it happens, either scenario in this case is equally damaging. Although you will decrease the calories that you take in which may lead to some short-term weight loss, the kicker here is that you will be slowing down your metabolism.

What this means is that after the starving is over, your body will hold onto the next meal you eat for dear life, expecting be be starved again.

If you allow starvation to become a habit, you will actually be contributing to your own weight gain in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 11:18 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Do you have any credentials?

Old 09-28-2016, 11:29 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izack123 View Post
No, that title is not a typo.

One of the things that makes people not get the weight loss results that they want is that they may occassionally be starving their bodies.

There are two basic ways that this can happen. One is for it to be done inadvertently—like when you just get busy and forget to eat.

Another is when you purpose deprive your body of food to try and “speed up” your results.

Regardless of how it happens, either scenario in this case is equally damaging. Although you will decrease the calories that you take in which may lead to some short-term weight loss, the kicker here is that you will be slowing down your metabolism.

What this means is that after the starving is over, your body will hold onto the next meal you eat for dear life, expecting be be starved again.

If you allow starvation to become a habit, you will actually be contributing to your own weight gain in the future.
Can you cite the specific studies that demonstrate this?

Old 09-28-2016, 01:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Really? So if I go on a hunger strike, I will gain weight? I'm kidding of course. Intermittent fasting has many proven health benefits. You will not gain weight, that is for sure. You may not lose weight because your metabolism slows down but that is why it's intermittent. You eventually eat. What type of starvation are you talking about?

Old 09-30-2016, 04:22 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
I started out about 235 lb and went down to about 180 pretty easily. After I while I stopped losing weight but maintained my weight. In the past 6 months I have put on about 10 pounds. I am not eating a huge quantity of food and I exercise 5 times a week (3 treadmill interval workouts, 2 resistance training workouts).

The doctor surprised me. She told me that she thought that although I eat a healthy, low carb diet I am not eating enough. She told me that when you restrict your calories and increase your activity your body thinks that there might be a deficit of calories and stores fat when you do eat.

She told me not to go below 1200 calories and that I should be eating around 16-1700 calories per day to lose a pound a week but that I should eat a little more than that for a while. I went back and calculated what I typically eat and I never ever come in above 1600 calories and some days I am under 1200. For instance, yesterday I ate what I thought was a huge amount of food (Cuban roast pork/veggies for lunch, chicken wings for dinner, a Manhattan) and it turned out to be only 1600 calories.

I am really afraid that I will gain weight if I keep eating the way I ate yesterday. Usually I eat much less (salad for lunch, grilled meat and veggies for dinner) and I managed to gain 10 lb.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:31 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,284 times
If you're not hungry, you're not loosing weight. It's a will power game. "Starving" is that point where you will literally steal food to eat. I seriously doubt most people are capable of actually "starving" when there is food readily eatable. Calorie in = calorie out. If you can go to bed a little hungry each day, you will loose weight. It's not rocket science and you don't need special pills, mail order meals, fad books, or radical diets. All you need is the will power to be mildly uncomfortable for a short amount of time. As for slowing the metabolism, just loose weight in spirts. Diet a couple months then take a month break. Then diet a couple more months, then take another break. During your break, eat normal healthy foods and don't binge. Use your mental strength. I've been doing it like this my whole life. Low carb, low fat, low calorie, 5:2, etc all work just fine. The secret to fat loss is just a mental game. Can't have your cake and eat it too. When you feel like you have to have a particular food, write it down on a list to eat it AFTER your diet or snap a pic of it on your camera phone. Also don't use a lot of exercise until you are nearest your goal weight. Excercise is a tool that you can only really use for a short period of time to loose weight. Lots of people make the mistake of going gung ho on exercise and diet only to crash prematurely.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:37 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I started out about 235 lb and went down to about 180 pretty easily. After I while I stopped losing weight but maintained my weight. In the past 6 months I have put on about 10 pounds. I am not eating a huge quantity of food and I exercise 5 times a week (3 treadmill interval workouts, 2 resistance training workouts).

The doctor surprised me. She told me that she thought that although I eat a healthy, low carb diet I am not eating enough. She told me that when you restrict your calories and increase your activity your body thinks that there might be a deficit of calories and stores fat when you do eat.

She told me not to go below 1200 calories and that I should be eating around 16-1700 calories per day to lose a pound a week but that I should eat a little more than that for a while. I went back and calculated what I typically eat and I never ever come in above 1600 calories and some days I am under 1200. For instance, yesterday I ate what I thought was a huge amount of food (Cuban roast pork/veggies for lunch, chicken wings for dinner, a Manhattan) and it turned out to be only 1600 calories.

I am really afraid that I will gain weight if I keep eating the way I ate yesterday. Usually I eat much less (salad for lunch, grilled meat and veggies for dinner) and I managed to gain 10 lb.
I kind of agree with the doctor some. Your metabolism may have crashed. Try slowing eating more calories each week and lay off the cardio some.

A lot of times you will start retaining water After stoping a long diet stint. 10 pounds is NOT uncommon and I've seen as high as 15 pounds of water retention when saturated from salty foods. Once you get your metabolism back to normal speed and begin the next diet phase, the water weight will go very fast.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:32 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that starving yourself slows down your metabolism and makes you regain all the weight you lost? Crash diets and starving yourself are what teenagers do to lose weight... Once you're an adult, you should realize that there are no quick fixes when it comes to weight loss...

Old 10-03-2016, 04:38 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

How do you manage to eat so little? Do you ever eat breakfast? I know I would be starving and irritable if that's all I ate...

Old 11-01-2016, 09:17 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viredblue View Post
If you starve your body of food and continuously drink water you will speed up your metabolism and therefore lose a phenomenal amount of weight. This topic is such a joke with a substantial lack of research.

If you stop eating and stop drinking water you will damage your body, you will most likely go into starvation mode in which you body slows down metabolism.

If you stop eating and continue drinking water (only water) your body will go into starvation mode and eat the fat that's already in your body. Your body is a fat storing machine, that's how UFC fighters engage in "extreme cutting" before fights.
Sorry, but you are not even close.

UFC fighters cut weight by restricting carb and water intake. The weight they lose is not fat, it is mostly water. That's why a few hours after weigh-ins they are up an additional 10 or 15 pounds again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss