Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 12:31 PM

524 posts, read 361,836 times

Advertisements

So, I'm going to start the fitness center at work tomorrow...im currently at 325....shooting for 225. Ill be hitting the gym at 5am, and have heard a couple different opinions from people I work with. Some say eat something before I go...others say have something after I'm finished. I'm thinking just some treadmill for about 45 minutes to 60 minutes to start.....open to opinions/thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 12:52 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
What you need to do is concentrate on what works for you, not one anyone else tells you, (even me!). At first you will need to adhere to baby steps. Go slow, see what you can do, try not to push yourself too hard at this point.
45 minutes of treadmill will be a bore fest. Try 20 minutes and then work your way up to 45 if that is something you feel like you can do. The last thing you want to do is give yourself absolutes. Its the quickest way to quit the gym.
If cardio is what your are comfortable with right now just stick to that. When you are comfortable add some resistance training - but again, baby steps to start.
You will need to figure out the eating thing on your own. I have to eat before I work out in the morning or I will become nauseas. Some people like to work out on an empty stomach. There is no right way to do it - just what works for you.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Good for you Gamebird! The first step is always the most difficult.

I also get nauseous if I don't have a little something first. The key word being little: maybe a hard boiled egg or some steel cut oatmeal.

Some gyms have treadmills with a TV screen. That makes the time go faster. If you have been inactive don't overdo your first week. Little by little add some weight training. Cut out sweets, junk food and sodas and you will see results.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
If you have a moderate workout-routine and you are eating appropriate calories....I don't think meal-timing should make that much of a difference.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:06 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,092 times
Do you expect a car to run on no gas? The body is not so different. Having breakfast is important. It "wakes" the pancreas up to start making insulin so your cells can take in and burn energy. The usual wisdom is to have a light breakfast and then within an hour after the workout, have some protein.

Also I do not mean to offend but do you have your doctor's okay to start exercising? It is great you want to exercise, but 325 is obese and it can be unsafe for the heart and joints to just jump into exercise like that if you are not used to it. A more reasonable, safer thing would be to just start going for walks for 15 or 20 minutes on your lunch break or after work. It will be very discouraging if you were to hurt your knee because of deconditioning. Start slowly and build up. That is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss