Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:34 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times

Advertisements

I have made two "Ketogenic" peanut butter pies over the last month for a couple gatherings and possibly another one tomorrow due to the success, they have been DEVOURED by non-dieters. Stevia in place of sugar and coconut flour pie crust.

I have a problem passing up home-made garlic bread and mashed white potatoes (both are family staples at gatherings) but so long as I keep it [mostly] paleo/keto, I feel fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 07:18 PM

343 posts, read 316,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't even attempt to "eat clean" for holidays. It is what it is. I do continue to exercise, though. Not to stave off holiday pounds but to keep my body in gear. In fact, I've reduced my "cheat days" from two per week to one to accommodate holiday weight gain.
Makes sense to me, good post. I'm tending to do the same thing myself since starting my health journey, and it is a start. Eating healthy during the winter actually seems counterproductive to me since we are still biologically animals, and thus have a tendency to gain weight more in the winter. Gotta gain fat to protect ourselves from the harshness of the winter cold

Old 12-12-2016, 07:47 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I try a little bit but that's one of the treats of the holidays, having something you don't usually have. The trick is making sure you return to normal eating habits after it's all over.

We'll be at my cousin's house. She always makes non dairy scalloped potatoes (due to my dairy allergy), roast turkey, butternut squash, a salad, some home made rolls, coffee, tea.

I'm the horrible one who brings dessert. Last year dh and I made mini mince tarts. This year I'm making one of my mother's recipes from days gone by: chocolate chip meringues. We'll probably all have a few glasses of wine by the roaring fire afterwards.

At this very moment I am practicing making the meringues. Yes, we will eat them all...and by this time tomorrow they will be gone. But we're pretty good the rest of the time, no one is overweight or watching carbs and I think it's great to splurge a little bit at holiday time. Oh--none of what we'll be eating is fake, processed junk food and that makes a difference. Even the cookies are real food (well, except for the chocolate chips.)

It's when you have to go to a party and you stand around eating stuff--that's where I have no self control. That's almost as bad as eating the leftover Halloween candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss