Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:07 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,764,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

What do you do for special occasions? Today is Valentine's Day. What about birthdays? No cake? Ever?

And what is wrong with being hungry?? Isn't that t a normal physiological response?

I guess I see food not as the enemy, but as one of the pleasures of life. Like anything, that pleasure can be abused. But it can also be enjoyed.
So don't eat that way, but do NOT disparage those who have found a successful way to lose weight. That is just cruel. And mean. Crabs in a bucket.

I celebrated Valentine's Day with friends. We feasted on steak, grilled asparagus, roasted cauliflower, and berries with real whipped cream. We had a blast.

Quote:

What do you do on birthdays? Do you attend other birthday parties where there will be cake present?
Of course I celebrate birthdays. I have discovered it IS POSSIBLE to celebrate all sorts of occasions without eating cake. Shock of shocks, I know! But it IS possible. People want to celebrate occasions, not necessarily by eating crappy cake.

I'd much rather celebrate by eating a steak, some roasted veggies with butter, etc.

For me, sugar is toxic. I feel like crap. I have no lasting energy from it. My skin breaks out. I feel bloated. When I eat keto, I feel like a million bucks. My energy is non-stop, my skin glows, and my stomach is flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 06:32 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
So don't eat that way, but do NOT disparage those who have found a successful way to lose weight. That is just cruel. And mean. Crabs in a bucket.

I celebrated Valentine's Day with friends. We feasted on steak, grilled asparagus, roasted cauliflower, and berries with real whipped cream. We had a blast.

Of course I celebrate birthdays. I have discovered it IS POSSIBLE to celebrate all sorts of occasions without eating cake. Shock of shocks, I know! But it IS possible. People want to celebrate occasions, not necessarily by eating crappy cake.

I'd much rather celebrate by eating a steak, some roasted veggies with butter, etc.

For me, sugar is toxic. I feel like crap. I have no lasting energy from it. My skin breaks out. I feel bloated. When I eat keto, I feel like a million bucks. My energy is non-stop, my skin glows, and my stomach is flat.
I did not disparage anyone here. I said that the diet itself was not appealing, and I have the right to my opinion.

It's amusing how you falsly accuse me of disparaging someone and then go on to accuse me of being a crab in a barrel.

Do you consider fruit toxic?

Old 02-26-2017, 07:54 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
I did not disparage anyone here. I said that the diet itself was not appealing, and I have the right to my opinion.

It's amusing how you falsly accuse me of disparaging someone and then go on to accuse me of being a crab in a barrel.
I'm sure she was referring to your two posts about eating cake.

Coming on a weight loss forum and posting twice about how the eating plan we're discussing isn't good because we should eat cake is no different than going on a drug and alcohol recovery forum and telling them they should drink on special occasions. It can be a trigger for some people who are struggling with staying on their plan.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Coming on a weight loss forum and posting twice about how the eating plan we're discussing isn't good because we should eat cake is no different than going on a drug and alcohol recovery forum and telling them they should drink on special occasions. It can be a trigger for some people who are struggling with staying on their plan.
Exactly...you get it!!

Tried to rep again but have to spread it around...

Old 02-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

LOL

If reading the word cake can cause someone to fall off of this plan, then this diet is not sustainable.

And I never said they should eat cake. I asked a relevant question .What do people on a restrictive diet do at social occasions hosted by other people . A birthday party was one example.

Save the drama please.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:29 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
And I never said they should eat cake. I asked a relevant question .What do people on a restrictive diet do at social occasions hosted by other people . A birthday party was one example.
I suppose they would just say no thank you when offered cake. I've refused sugar-laden sweets many times. Natural foods with sugar like grapefruit and strawberries I will eat whenever I want. Processed foods with sugar I do my best to avoid.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
LOL

If reading the word cake can cause someone to fall off of this plan, then this diet is not sustainable.

Save the drama please.
Wow. Drama much?

I've gone to many, many parties and celebrations since I chose to eat keto. If people offer me cake, cookies, pasta, bread, candy, etc., there are these magic words, delivered with a smile, called, "No, thank you!" that I use. It's really not hard. When I go to celebrations, I am there to see the people, not eat or drink sugar.

I hardly view my chosen way of eating as restrictive. I eat a widely varied diet. It just happens to not include sugar. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand...?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:08 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,778 times
Right now I'll take some homemade cheese crisps over a piece of cake!!
No one could possibly love cakes and sugar more than me...but honestly on my 2nd month and it's very easy to pass on the beloved cakes and sweets.

Took a bite of chocolate cake the other day. 1 bite was enough. It cured my craving and it just didn't taste the same anymore.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Right now I'll take some homemade cheese crisps over a piece of cake!!
No one could possibly love cakes and sugar more than me...but honestly on my 2nd month and it's very easy to pass on the beloved cakes and sweets.

Took a bite of chocolate cake the other day. 1 bite was enough. It cured my craving and it just didn't taste the same anymore.
Cheese crisps sound delicious. I found a recipe online where you literally just bale cheese at 350 for 5 - 10 minutes.

Sounds simple enough .

Old 02-26-2017, 06:55 PM

538 posts, read 731,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Where is it written that special occasions always have to be celebrated with (sweet) food of some kind?
We, as a culture, are too tied to food as reward. It permeates everything that we do.

One of things that I've had to teach myself since I was diagnosed with prediabetes is that reward and celebration does not have to equal the foods traditionally associated with such.

It doesn't have to equal food at all.
There are many other ways to enjoy the company of others that don't involve stuffing copious amounts of empty calories into our bodies.

Deprivation is what one chooses to make it.
Choosing a diet that makes one feel full and satiated is not deprivation.
It's freedom.
Great post, TigerLily! I SO agree with you! It's really silly when you think about it. Hey, we're celebrating so let's eat a whole bunch of stuff that is really bad for us. Makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss