Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
I did read the link. My point is that now there will be people who say "Oh, I am fat because I am 'carbohydrate intolerant.'" It will be just like people who blame their "thyroid condition" or "big bones."

No, they are fat because they eat more than their body needs. That is always the reason. Always. If you are "carbohydrate intolerant" or have a "thyroid condition" or "big bones" you still must eat ONLY what your body needs. You must adjust your intake. If this means you learn to eat less and you learn to eat differently, then that is what you must do. Too many people don't. "I have a thyroid condition" and then they order dessert.

Not THAT much different. There is no reason for 2/3 of Americans to be overweight or obese other than that they eat too much.

Indeed.
Sounds like you don't understand how thyroid issues impact your metabolism. From personal experience it is really obnoxious. When my levels are out of whack, the same stuff causes different results. instead of 1+1=2 you have 1+1+x=y and x and y are moving targets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 12:41 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Sounds like you don't understand how thyroid issues impact your metabolism. From personal experience it is really obnoxious. When my levels are out of whack, the same stuff causes different results. instead of 1+1=2 you have 1+1+x=y and x and y are moving targets.
Have you been to an endocrinologist? I have Hashimotos and I have never had any problems with weight because I get my levels checked yearly, except once. I was taking an iron supplement and I noticed I was gaining weight and feeling tired. My doctor told me iron messes with the thyroid medication, basically canceling it out. Once I stopped the iron I went back to normal. Thyroid issues should not be a moving target.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
Quote:
I did read the link. My point is that now there will be people who say "Oh, I am fat because I am 'carbohydrate intolerant.'" It will be just like people who blame their "thyroid condition" or "big bones."

No, they are fat because they eat more than their body needs. That is always the reason. Always. If you are "carbohydrate intolerant" or have a "thyroid condition" or "big bones" you still must eat ONLY what your body needs. You must adjust your intake. If this means you learn to eat less and you learn to eat differently, then that is what you must do. Too many people don't. "I have a thyroid condition" and then they order dessert.
There will always be outliers who will latch into any excuse that comes down the pike. That doesn't mean it is pointless to explore the genetic variations that cause different people to have such different results from the same diet. Chalking it up to people secretly inhaling Twinkies and lying about helps no one.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Have you been to an endocrinologist? I have Hashimotos and I have never had any problems with weight because I get my levels checked yearly, except once. I was taking an iron supplement and I noticed I was gaining weight and feeling tired. My doctor told me iron messes with the thyroid medication, basically canceling it out. Once I stopped the iron I went back to normal. Thyroid issues should not be a moving target.
I have been going over the past 18 months. I have been getting checked every 6 months. I'll be feeling normal for a while, and then things get off. Seems to be seasonal for me. So I have to keep on experimenting. Gets annoying - in September my hormones and thyroid levels are a disaster, and it has all sorts of impacts (not just energy level) - and my test results on the same dose of medicine is different. It is definitely complicated for me. But it is not the same for everyone.

I know a few other people with Hashi's and their experiences are wildly different. Some have no problems. Another has a really specific diet and has tried everything and it doesn't help she has no energy, doesn't absorb vitamins and minerals well and can't keep weight on.

I have had good energy over the last 2 years, but struggle with weight changes. So yes, I still need to keep trying so I can actually have an entire year with steady levels. It hasn't happened to me yet in the 8 years since I was diagnosed. I am tested every 6 months. Have an endo appt scheduled soon. I might try to switch medicines next.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I have been going over the past 18 months. I have been getting checked every 6 months. I'll be feeling normal for a while, and then things get off. Seems to be seasonal for me. So I have to keep on experimenting. Gets annoying - in September my hormones and thyroid levels are a disaster, and it has all sorts of impacts (not just energy level) - and my test results on the same dose of medicine is different. It is definitely complicated for me. But it is not the same for everyone.

I know a few other people with Hashi's and their experiences are wildly different. Some have no problems. Another has a really specific diet and has tried everything and it doesn't help she has no energy, doesn't absorb vitamins and minerals well and can't keep weight on.

I have had good energy over the last 2 years, but struggle with weight changes. So yes, I still need to keep trying so I can actually have an entire year with steady levels. It hasn't happened to me yet in the 8 years since I was diagnosed. I am tested every 6 months. Have an endo appt scheduled soon. I might try to switch medicines next.
Wow, that really sucks. I hope you can get it resolved so you do not have so many fluctuations.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:21 PM

2,231 posts, read 2,401,631 times
I've never understood why so many people are fearful of carbs... I guess there's a small percentage that are intolerant to them though...Carbs do absolutely nothing to me...even white carbs. The only way I gain weight is if I eat more calories than I'm supposed to have.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,709,490 times
Quote:

I think the research will be helpful to people who can't figure out why they can't lose weight with the simple calories in/calories out, small portion/exercise advise. Sure, I guess people who don't want to get to a normal weight can use it as an excuse, but those who are trying to lose unsuccessfully can switch to less carbs and see if they have more success.

I don't really understand all the generalizations and the blanket statements that it's just about how much people eat. There is lots of research out there about weight loss - metabolism, insulin resistance, cortisol/stress, leptin, medication side effects, etc that have found differences in how people burn calories and store fat.

There is a documentary on HBO, sorry can't remember the name, where doctors found that once a person loses any weight, their metabolism becomes so efficient that they always need to eat 30% less calories than a person of the same size that never went through a weight loss.

I just think this is a good study, it fits me. I'm at a healthy weight now, I wasn't when I ate much smaller amounts on low calorie, low fat, higher carb meals.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,205 times
Quote:
I more than understand them. I have them. Hypothyroidism is not worth more than 15 pounds. Yet so many people will put on 50 or 60 pounds and blame it on their thyroid. This is NONSENSE.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:49 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
There will always be outliers who will latch into any excuse that comes down the pike. That doesn't mean it is pointless to explore the genetic variations that cause different people to have such different results from the same diet. Chalking it up to people secretly inhaling Twinkies and lying about helps no one.
Yet that is what so many do that I have no doubt "carbohydrate intolerance" will become the new excuse.

The first thing I tell people to do is write down every single bite they put into their mouths. It does not matter if it is 3 M&Ms or "just a handful" of trail mix. Write it down. If one is honest with oneself, chances are one is in for a big shock. "But I hardly eat!" Yes, Miss Jones, you "hardly ate" nearly 3,000 calories today, nearly 1,800 of them in one pasta dinner that because you did not read the label and measure your servings breaks down to 4 servings of pasta (800 calories not including sauce), with side salad with four tablespoons of bleu cheese dressing that was 300 calories just for the dressing because you just squirted it all over and did not measure it out, not to mention the two pieces of garlic bread that came to nearly 300 calories because of the butter, which is 100 calories for each pat that you put on there. That glass of wine was another 150 calories because you poured more than 5 ounces into your glass. Considering you ate meat sauce and you browned the meat in oil, so much for "hardly" eating. 1,800 calories for that meal is being lowball. Yes, you over there in the red ate 400 calories of chips and dip before you even got your "low-cal" appetizer at the Mexican restaurant. It's nice you didn't get the refried beans but the black beans are still about 300 calories on your plate because of the oil and the fact that there is a full cup of them. Between that and the chips you already ate a meal but then there was the rice, the meat, the margarita, and the four forkfuls of the shared dessert. Yes, you there in the blue ate 400 calories in two small handfuls of nuts when you first came home from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't really understand all the generalizations and the blanket statements that it's just about how much people eat. There is lots of research out there about weight loss - metabolism, insulin resistance, cortisol/stress, leptin, medication side effects, etc that have found differences in how people burn calories and store fat.
It is not a generalization. I have said repeatedly that obesity comes from eating more than YOUR body needs. If you have a thyroid condition, guess what? You cannot eat like other people. Menopause? Same thing. Just like people who cannot walk cannot expect to have the same calorie burn as people who do, so it is with any condition that affects metabolism.

If the USA got back to more normal portion sizes and away from all of these gimmicks and fad diets and instead just got up and got active, that would take care of 2/3 of the weight problem in this country. But people do not want to hear this. They want to say it is "genetic." MOST people do not have metabolic disorders. For now. Becoming overweight is a great way to GET one though!

Last edited by Seija; 01-13-2017 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Yet that is what so many do that I have no doubt "carbohydrate intolerance" will become the new excuse.

The first thing I tell people to do is write down every single bite they put into their mouths. It does not matter if it is 3 M&Ms or "just a handful" of trail mix. Write it down. If one is honest with oneself, chances are one is in for a big shock. "But I hardly eat!" Yes, Miss Jones, you "hardly ate" nearly 3,000 calories today, nearly 1,800 of them in one pasta dinner that because you did not read the label and measure your servings breaks down to 4 servings of pasta (800 calories not including sauce), with side salad with four tablespoons of bleu cheese dressing that was 300 calories just for the dressing because you just squirted it all over and did not measure it out, not to mention the two pieces of garlic bread that came to nearly 300 calories because of the butter, which is 100 calories for each pat that you put on there. That glass of wine was another 150 calories because you poured more than 5 ounces into your glass. Considering you ate meat sauce and you browned the meat in oil, so much for "hardly" eating. 1,800 calories for that meal is being lowball. Yes, you over there in the red ate 400 calories of chips and dip before you even got your "low-cal" appetizer at the Mexican restaurant. It's nice you didn't get the refried beans but the black beans are still about 300 calories on your plate because of the oil and the fact that there is a full cup of them. Yes, you there in the blue ate 400 calories in two small handfuls of nuts when you first came home from work.

It is not a generalization. I have said repeatedly that obesity comes from eating more than YOUR body needs. If you have a thyroid condition, guess what? You cannot eat like other people. Menopause? Same thing. Just like people who cannot walk cannot expect to have the same calorie burn as people who do, so it is with any condition that affects metabolism.

If the USA got back to more normal portion sizes and away from all of these gimmicks and fad diets and instead just got up and got active, that would take care of 2/3 of the weight problem in this country. But people do not want to hear this. They want to say it is "genetic."

And then they do not like the idea of eating less food so they gravitate towards the type of diets that promote a quick fix, or that they'll never feel hungry, or whatever the selling point is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss