Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I will do that. I lost 126 lbs in 1990 and I have kept off 100 lbs of it. I guarantee that I know what I am doing.
If you know what you are doing, then why did you put on 126 pounds?

You knew how to "make better choices".
You knew how to "change your lifestyle".
You knew to "load up on veggies",
You knew "to cut out the starches".
You knew to "eat smaller portions".
You knew to "eat slowly".

And you still gained 126 pounds.

The conclusion is, even though you know what you are doing (I trust you do), unless you deprive yourself, unless you are uncomfortable, unless you deny doing what you want (what your genes are programming you to do - and that's eating and putting on weight), you most likely will put much of it back on.

Now, it is possible you had some sort of traumatic psychological (divorce, death of loved one, etc) or physical experience that explains 1 in 1000 severe weight gains, but those are rare exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
Oh boy...

I put on the extra 126 lbs over 25 years...5 or 10 lbs a year. I lost the weight when I decided to change my eating and exercise habits in 1990. I REgained 25 lbs when I had two major surgeries in 2008, stopped exercising and more or less gave in to temptation in 2008. Then I decided to get back into my fitness.

You may be right, I might put on weight again. I sincerely hope not...but I certainly will NOT put on the extra 100 lbs ever again. I was on here trying to be supportive. Best wishes to all who are fighting the good fight against overweight. You can do it!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Best wishes to all who are fighting the good fight against overweight. You can do it!
I echo this. Best wishes.....

"You can do it". It depends what "it" is. Anybody can lose weight. Virtually no one keeps it off.

Best wishes.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
It's not that I have NO willpower. I just fall into old habits. As soon as my clothes feel tight, I get serious again. Somehow I've managed to stay in my clothes by taking it seriously and not buying larger sizes. But it's so hard to drop old habits---the easy food that is readily available. For instance, I have to plan taking my food with me to work or I have a hard time resisting the bagles served in coffee shop in the lobby. Why can't there be healthier food available everywhere? It's always the carbs, salts and sugars that are convenient.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why can't there be healthier food available everywhere? It's always the carbs, salts and sugars that are convenient.
Because that's what "normal" people like.

Things you remember....

Sometimes on Fridays, someone would bring in those big pink boxes of donuts, from the donut shop. OK, If I had to pay for them I'll eat one, but if they are free, we're talking six. There was this one "normal" guy who would grab his donut, take a bite, put it down, walk away to talk to someone, come back to his desk, take another bite, make a phone call, take a bite.....20 minutes later he is done with one donut. The amount of time it takes me to eat one of those donuts is measure in milliseconds.

I had an ex-girlfriend who would take a bite of a Dorito - meaning, not eating the whole chip in one bite, or eating half a chip at a time. How can you take one bite of a Dorito? Either the whole thing or nothing.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Because that's what "normal" people like.
That doesn't explain why there isn't healthy convenient food readily available. Normal people eat more than sugar, salt and carbs.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:13 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Food scientists have found that our taste buds just love fat, salt and sugar so that's what's loaded into our snack foods--and over the past 12 years or so, everything's filled with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)--a really cheap sweetener that manufacturers love. It helps make cheap foods for us and more profits for them. A number of doctors and health professionals think HFCS is causing--or contributing to--our obesity epidemic and diabetes explosion--in kids and adults.

Rent the documentary King Corn through Netflix to find out more about corn and how it's used to fatten cattle before slaughter--and it seems, us, too. Very eye-opening.

When you look at the labels of your common foods, including breakfast cereals, sphagetti sauce, ketchup, baked goods and bread, ice cream, canned and bottled fruit juices, sodas and so many other things. When you start reading labels, it's shocking to see corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup everywhere.

These days, it's hard to find foods that don't have HFCS.

That's why I think it's tough to eat smart these days. You've got to read every label and be so vigilant. Many don't have the time.

Yes, we've got cheap food compared to many other places in the world, but much of it is food that's unhealthy. Sticking to whole grains and fruits and vegetables seems to be the only way to avoid eating all the junk that's in our foods these days.

The rest of the food? No wonder it's called 'junk food--that's exactly what it is.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
our taste buds just love fat, salt and sugar
Why do some people not like these things?

I met a guy who preferred to eat a bowl of fruit over a bowl of ice cream even if they were (hypothetically) nutritionally equivalent - meaning, he wasn't prejudiced against the unhealthful ice cream - he just preferred the taste of fruit.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:28 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
I dunno. Why do some prefer the color yellow over the color green? Personal preference, I suppose.

Me, I used to love ice cream but ever since they started adding lots of corp syrup to it and other junk, it seems to coat my throat with sliminess and make me cough...I wake up the next day with gunk in my throat that's nasty.

Now home-made, natural ice cream from real cream, fresh fruit and real sugar is a different story.

Since I find most commercial ice creams leave that unpleasant coating in my throat, I just don't like it anymore...give a bowl of fresh blueberries or strawberries. And on occasion, with a little topping of home-made whipped cream.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:31 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,186 times
Thanks for the Fitday.com site FlightAttendant. I like the way it calculates the your food intake. I just put in air popped popcorn and up pops a pie chart. Thanks for the info you have posted and congrats on your weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss