U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:02 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
That's why I think it's tough to eat smart these days. You've got to read every label and be so vigilant. Many don't have the time.
It's not hard if you don't eat processed food. What's hard is the lack of whole foods in convenient places. It's getting better though. Some local convenience store chains are starting to offer fresh fruits and vegetables. The best thing that happened in our area was a grocery store chain buying a gas station chain. The offerings at the convenience store became more healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why do some people not like these things?

I met a guy who preferred to eat a bowl of fruit over a bowl of ice cream even if they were (hypothetically) nutritionally equivalent - meaning, he wasn't prejudiced against the unhealthful ice cream - he just preferred the taste of fruit.
That's me. I love the taste of fresh food. Give me a fresh vegetable salad or fresh fruit anytime!

Sugary food is too rich for me. One bite of cheese cake and that's enough. Fatty and greasy foods gross me out. My only slight weakness is salt, but it's not overwhelmingly difficult to resist.

Breads were my major weakness. I learned to find whole grains with the least number of ingredients. It doesn't take more time shopping once you find the right brands.

One thing I noticed is that it's cheaper to eat whole foods. People think it's expensive to buy fresh fruits and vegetables because they're still buying the processed stuff too. But fill your cart to the top with only whole foods and you'll be surprised at check out. It's far cheaper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 12:14 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,648,902 times
Its all about chocolate for me and Dr Pepper. I haven't had any soda of sweets of any kind of about 2 weeks now. I know I have lost 5 lbs because of a doctors visit at about 1 week after topping all sweets but I feel like I might have lost a few more becauses some shorts that were WAY too tight for me are now getting loose.

You have to understand that I was eating ALOT of sweets daily, it was like an addiction. I could go through alot of sweets in one sitting, one time I ate a chocolate creme pie in like two days. I can't imagine how much sugar was in that. With some things I can just limit how much I have but not with sweets, its all or nothing for me.

When I crave something sweet, I have been eating carrots.

Whenever I start to really crave something I can see that its tied to my anxiety, I want to self medicate with food. I send an email to a couple friends who are having weight problems as well and they write back some encouragement.

I have also been trying to make sure I eat protien. I was experiencing the issue where my blood sugar would shoot up and I liked that feeling but then it would bottom out and then I would grab for more sugar to keep that feeling going. It was like I wanted to keep the sugar circulating in my system at all times. With protein, I get a more stable energy.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:19 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Give me a fresh vegetable salad or fresh fruit anytime!

Sugary food is too rich for me. One bite of cheese cake and that's enough. Fatty and greasy foods gross me out.
A lot of people wish they were lucky like you.

Last edited by Charles; 05-17-2009 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 12:46 PM

7,860 posts, read 12,618,483 times
Chopped salads are my favorite meal.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:58 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,503,645 times
Oh me, too, salads! Love 'em!!

Just had one for lunch-- fresh Spring mix mixed lettuces from the local farm stand, a red, ripe, juicy tomato, a red bell pepper, a bit of red onion, some walnuts, raisins, a sprinkling of crumbled feta and made my current favorite dressing--juice of one lime, 1T of olive oil and a t. of honey and some fresh ground black pepper--that was our lunch and it was sublimely satisfying and filling.

Isn't it fun making creative salads--especially when all the fresh garden produce comes in and everything tastes so good? There's one I make with cranberries and apples and celery and lettuce and walnuts and bleu cheese that my DH goes nuts over...me, too.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:58 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,648,902 times
I LOVE Ceasar Salad and my daughter likes Cobb Salad so I was thinking of making a combination of the two with Romaine, grilled chicken, chopped egg, yes a little bacon and so forth. I love the sour dressing.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:04 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,494,078 times
I am hopeless at dieting. I get bored really easily and I crave all the wrong sorts of foods. What do I do? Stop eating!!! From Sunday night till Thursday I have juice and soup only. I am too greedy to do it any other way!! Lost 14lbs so far. And it doesn't come back on. Some would say its not healthy, but its ok if you do it eating healthy soups, pure fruit juices and take some vitamin pills.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:33 PM

1,105 posts, read 3,128,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The conclusion is, even though you know what you are doing (I trust you do), unless you deprive yourself, unless you are uncomfortable, unless you deny doing what you want (what your genes are programming you to do - and that's eating and putting on weight), you most likely will put much of it back on.
Ok I will give you that yes you do have to deprive yourself some. Yes you can't eat whateve you want whenever you want. My whole point though is that you don't have to say I am never eating a bar of chocolate ever again. Or I'm never eating pizza or ice cream ever again. You can have chocolate every week, or pizza everyweek. Heck you could eat McDonalds everyday IF you adjusted the rest of your day accordingly. Not that I recommend it, it certainly isn't healthy but if you know you are going to McD's and you know you want a big mac, well make that your splurge for the week and have a big mac and fries. You just can't eat four pieces of pizza every day or a big mac everyday. If I know I am going to be going out to eat, then I eat a very small breakfast and a very small lunch.

Genetics don't have much to do with how you eat (not counting if you have something wrong with you). Your eating habits are absolutely learned behavior. Naturally skinny people aren't skinny because there body uses more calories automatically. They are skinnier because they eat less and/or they are more active in general through the day. They can eat one mini snickers and be done, or they don't have to finish their whole meal in one go.

Exercise is a HUGE part of weightloss success. I really don't see how people can lose weight and not exercise. There is no way I could just eat 1200 calories a day. All I have to do is run/walk for half an hour and it pushes me into the 1500 calorie bracket which is very doable and I will lose 1-2 lbs a week at that. If I ran/walked for another half hour, then that pushes me into the 1800 calorie range. I don't crave anymore when I exercise than when I don't. As a matter of fact, when I am sitting around the house doing nothing, I tend to crave the most. The friends of mine that workout daily look great. No their weight doesn't change but they are able to eat what they want without binging. If they DIDNT exercise, they would gain weight.

Again, it isn't easy. I will never in a million years say it is. I think a major reason why people fail is they think they need to eat 1200 calories a day and lose weight quickly. It is a slow process. It took me 7 months to lose 30 lbs. That is less than five pounds a month, but I have kept it off for two years. Still need to lose more. I didn't set myself up to fail. I learned good habits. I exercised. I still have days where I pig out. Even when i was losing weight I would go to cookouts and eat real hotdogs and hamburgers and cake. I found that I wouldn't eat as much sometimes, I wouldn't even want to eat as much. I'd nibble.

And I do think that people do not have enough correct information. last night my father in law was trying to get me to eat some rice. I doubled up on the veggies and had a piece of salmon. I didn't feel deprived because I didn't have that rice. I felt fine. He said it was brown rice, so I should have some it's good for me. I said no thanks, it is still 200 calories. how many people do you know order a salad and think it is healthy? how many people think you can't eat eggs and bacon? how many people think a turkey burger has less fat and calories than a regular lean burger?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:33 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Genetics don't have much to do with how you eat

Your eating habits are absolutely learned behavior.

The boy on the left does not know the correct things to eat.
The boy on the right is conscious of his daily calories. When he is offered any treats, the first question he asks himself is "Will my pants feel tighter on me if I eat this?" He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left makes unwise choices: He chooses cookies, brownies, ice cream, crackers, pizza, fried chicken, and butter.
The boy on the right wisely chooses and measures out 1/2 melon, 1 cup steamed broccoli, 6 ounces lean chicken, 2 cups lettuce, 6 ounces of skim milk, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, one slice of whole wheat bread with no butter, and light dressing. His snack is a measured 4 ounces of apple sauce and one slice of cheese. On weekends he may splurge and eat two strawberries. He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left watches TV and video games
The boy on the right uses his stop watch to get 20-30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise on most days of the week. He measures his heart rate too. He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left looks at a bowl of cookies and eats nine of them
The boy on the right looks at a bowl of cookies and walks away, realizing they will make him overweight. He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left chews his food one time and then swallows.
The boy on the right chews his food 17 times then swallows because he knows it takes 20 minutes for his stomach to feel full. He has learned to make wise choices.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 420 times
I have always felt like my family would judge me for being over weight, I have tried everything, but with no will power and living with a husband who has a very large sweet tooth and only weighs 210 over 6 foot tall it doesnt make things any easier. I dont know what to do. I cant ask him not to have his sweets he's not the one who is fat, I have gotten to the point where I dont even want to leave my house. HELP!! I the way I look and it has started to affect my relationship with my husband. He says he loves me no matter what but when Im embarassed to be out in public it hurts his feelings that I dont want to go places with him. I need some help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss