Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 06:24 AM

23 posts, read 25,257 times

Advertisements

Best wishes for you guys on your journeys, My cold is about gone and have managed to stick to the plan I have set . Had to go to the DR. yesterday with my kid so I stepped up on the scale.. opened my eyes and looked...... 339....... was light up on the screen. NOT 372 or 360 0r 355.. ooooohhhh yyyeeeeessss . it felt great to see the effort paying off. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 11:27 PM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times
5'6" 366 lbs => 319 lbs (14 weeks) using Ketogenic diet / way of eating.
Basically high fat, moderate protein, low carb.
Best part of high fat - no hunger pangs - no binging.
. . .
Due to the uniqueness of individuals, there are many different regimens claiming to be successful. I hesitate to advocate anything specific, other than verify that your choice includes less than 20g carbs / day; minimum protein requirement for health (0.36g/lb), and enough fat to feed your brain. Happy brain, happy you. Hungry brain, crazed binging you. Feed. Brain.
. . .
This worked for me - your mileage may vary.
. . .
New You Formula:
1. Protein goal: [Target Weight] x 0.37 = grams of protein;
. . Grams x 4 = calories
2. Total calories = [protein calories] / 0.13
3. Fat calories = 0.84 x [Total calories];
. . Grams of fat = [Fat calories] / 9
4. Carb calories = 0.03 x [Total calories];
. . Divide by 4 to get carb g

In Calories (84%, 13%, 3%); In Grams (70%, 24%, 6%) (F,P,C)

https://www.charliefoundation.org/ex...ucing-the-diet
2.33:1 ketogenesis ratio is fine. (Fat versus Protein + Carb), in grams

. . .
If someone gives you grief about the 'dangers' of a ketogenic diet, just remember that American Indians thrived on pemmican (82-85% fat) for centuries if not millennia.

http://blog.jackmtn.com/38-days-of-pemmican/

Old 02-15-2017, 06:59 AM

keto does work I have done it before but its not for my life style, it most certainly rips pounds off but the weight regain was to fast, I have found my deficit is working for me. I can control it anyway I want and still have the good foods I like and its an easy habit to eat right everyday. if I never loose another pound I feel great just being away from JUNK foods, ..

Old 02-16-2017, 08:12 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I retired about 10 years ago and quickly went fro 5'7" and 190 lbs to 230lbs within a year so i joined the gym and the local pool,cut out all white food cut down on my portion sizes,no sugar no salt lots of salads,no alcohol no snacks, fast forward 8 years and i'm still 5'7" but now weigh 270lbs. Its like no matter what i give up my body adapts then starts adding more poundage, tried many diets and conclude they dont work. frustrating.
Keep up the good work Joe and hopefully you reach your objectives.
Sorry to hear this. Do you have metabolic syndrome? (pre-diabetic)? Have you read up on Dr Joel Furhman's plan? While it might seem too drastic, perhaps you could pick some of it to incorporate into your current eating plan?

Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 AM

still here and still sticking to my good habits of eating, down to 42 in pant size dropped a few shirt sizes as well and feel great it has became easy to not have snacks and eat small portions, actually it has became a habit now. inches are falling off , the scales have moved but not a lot I am down to 329 now, and still have a long way to go. so I am looking forward to what july will bring. best wishes.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:12 AM

19 posts, read 23,021 times
Your diet sounds ok. It certainly seems to be working. I hope in this endeavor you have added exercise. I suggest you start by walking. Try to work up to 10,000 steps per day. That is quite a bit more than you are probably used to. That is why I suggest working up to it. Get a pedometer and track what you do in a normal day. Then start adding maybe 1,500 - 2,000 steps. When you get used to that add more for a week or so each time until you get up to the 10,000 steps. You will find it not only helps the weight loss, but will also make you feel a lot better too. Keep going - you will get there and feel so much better!!

Old 02-27-2017, 07:01 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerc2002 View Post
I done the 20 carb a day about 10 years ago, it was a fast weight drop for me 250 down to 210 in 2 months but I kept a head ache and trembled a lot, after I came off it I ballooned back before Christmas that year, but it did work.
I have gotten so heavy now I just have to adjust my life style for the rest of my life so that was why I choose the low calorie lower carb route. I feel full after a 350 calorie high fiber breakfast for hours same for lunch and diner.
The 180 oz of water is my Dr's idea, its half my body weight in ounces of water so as my weight goes down the water amount goes down. The water has flushed out my kidneys and liver and my skin and hair look great. LOL.
it is not hard to consume that much water it is 8 24 oz, glasses a day.
I would like to know how the No carb/ No sugar works for you. Good luck with it.
I am committed to the HFLC diet. The science behind the way of eating is what sold me. I would suggest you watch videos that are on-line about it.

It has been noted that this diet reduces internal inflammation, can correct diabetes, and reduces markers for heart disease.

I maintain about 20-25 carbs per day and don't have an issue. I've not lost loads of weight, like maybe 5 lbs in 3 weeks, but that is ok, as I feel it is a lifestyle change and I am not on "a diet".....

All that water was flushing sodium out of your body, no wonder you felt bad and had headaches.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Sorry to hear this. Do you have metabolic syndrome? (pre-diabetic)? Have you read up on Dr Joel Furhman's plan? While it might seem too drastic, perhaps you could pick some of it to incorporate into your current eating plan?
If you continue to feed your body carbs, it never has a chance to use existing fat as fuel. Cut the carbs, including starchy foods such as potatoes, oats, bread, sweets and your body might have a fighting chance to slim down.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:58 AM

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Good place to start.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 PM

I have dropped 50 pounds in 7 weeks on CICO it is all that works for weight loss and maintenance. all others are fads and weight gain after is inevitable... thanks to all but im leaving this spam site . if you need support go to reddit lose the fat and join. they don't allow spam post to links to their site and all are super supportive. Good bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss