Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, if a calorie is a calorie, then isn't a pound a pound?
How cute. Its easy to lose a pound water, not so much a pound of fat. You need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. Did you burn 7000 calories in one day? You will get a much better read on your actual success if you weigh yourself once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Way back in the 70's the diet gurus all believed a calorie was a calorie. I knew better and set out to prove it and I was sick of lettuce, cottage cheese, and carrots.

I found a flavor of Baskin Robbins ice cream I liked that was 1K calories a pint. I ate 1 pint of this per day and that's all. And it was weighed by their employees so I knew what I was getting. So there you go, a strict 1000 calorie per day diet. Almost anyone should lose on that.

Wrong. At the end of a month, the net result was a 2 pound gain.
Then you were cheating.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:04 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
I was introduced to the keto diet by the coworker I walk with on our lunch breaks. As a former vegan he tried the keto diet but it did not agree with him. He has decided to return to being vegan. At the same time I was gaining weight and found the science behind the keto diet interesting. About five or six years ago I was hooked on junk food and someone I knew back then helped me change into a high protein, high vegetable and low junk food diet. I did not lose much weight from that change but it did help me feel healthier. Many of the foods I was introduced to back then I kept in my diet. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon in that I added junk food back to my diet (cravings and binges). Up until a month ago I was snacking incessantly on processed snacks in the evenings.

I have historically eaten very little fat. The problem I had was that I would crave high amounts of carbs even if I ate lots of fruits and vegetables. That is why I could not sustain the dietary change from five years ago. A month ago I embraced coconut oil and coconut milk. I consume either a 'bulletproof coffee' or milkshake of coconut milk and fruit every day. These coconut concoctions have reduced my hunger. I do not count how much fruit or vegetable calories I consume but since embracing coconut I have been eating less dairy, poultry, meat and especially complex carbs (i.e. processed foods). The big thing I am trying to cut down drastically is the processed food. I keep some around and will have one or two servings a week just to keep my body from going into cravings. I still eat moderate amounts of dairy and protein each day but less than I did in the past.

I started this in the middle of February and in the last month I have dropped from 173 lbs and I am now hovering between 161 and 163 lbs. My typical pants size of 32 waist was starting to feel snug and now I can wear a pair of 30 waist and feel the same snugness, so I have effectively dropped two pant sizes. I credit the science behind all this. The human body will always gravitate to glucose for energy even if the body has ample fat stores. A person has to have a glucose deficit in order to burn fat, as long as glucose is available the body will use it instead of burning fat. The body must take in less glucose than it burns for energy. The greatest source of glucose is high carbohydrate processed foods and beverages. The other piece of the puzzle is a substance called ketones. Ketones are necessary for the body to convert fat to energy. A substance in coconut called MCT is directly converted in the liver to ketones. To effectively burn fat a person needs to ingest very little glucose and have ketones ready in their bloodstream. Five years ago I must not have had the ketones in my blood and that is why I couldn't lose much weight. I ate healthy but I was always hungry and that eventually caused me to revert back to junk food.

P.S. I have also started looking at ingredient labels on products. If I see 'high fructose corn syrup' or 'hydrogenated' on the label I will not buy the product.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:03 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I was introduced to the keto diet by the coworker I walk with on our lunch breaks. As a former vegan he tried the keto diet but it did not agree with him. He has decided to return to being vegan. At the same time I was gaining weight and found the science behind the keto diet interesting. About five or six years ago I was hooked on junk food and someone I knew back then helped me change into a high protein, high vegetable and low junk food diet. I did not lose much weight from that change but it did help me feel healthier. Many of the foods I was introduced to back then I kept in my diet. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon in that I added junk food back to my diet (cravings and binges). Up until a month ago I was snacking incessantly on processed snacks in the evenings.

I have historically eaten very little fat. The problem I had was that I would crave high amounts of carbs even if I ate lots of fruits and vegetables. That is why I could not sustain the dietary change from five years ago. A month ago I embraced coconut oil and coconut milk. I consume either a 'bulletproof coffee' or milkshake of coconut milk and fruit every day. These coconut concoctions have reduced my hunger. I do not count how much fruit or vegetable calories I consume but since embracing coconut I have been eating less dairy, poultry, meat and especially complex carbs (i.e. processed foods). The big thing I am trying to cut down drastically is the processed food. I keep some around and will have one or two servings a week just to keep my body from going into cravings. I still eat moderate amounts of dairy and protein each day but less than I did in the past.

I started this in the middle of February and in the last month I have dropped from 173 lbs and I am now hovering between 161 and 163 lbs. My typical pants size of 32 waist was starting to feel snug and now I can wear a pair of 30 waist and feel the same snugness, so I have effectively dropped two pant sizes. I credit the science behind all this. The human body will always gravitate to glucose for energy even if the body has ample fat stores. A person has to have a glucose deficit in order to burn fat, as long as glucose is available the body will use it instead of burning fat. The body must take in less glucose than it burns for energy. The greatest source of glucose is high carbohydrate processed foods and beverages. The other piece of the puzzle is a substance called ketones. Ketones are necessary for the body to convert fat to energy. A substance in coconut called MCT is directly converted in the liver to ketones. To effectively burn fat a person needs to ingest very little glucose and have ketones ready in their bloodstream. Five years ago I must not have had the ketones in my blood and that is why I couldn't lose much weight. I ate healthy but I was always hungry and that eventually caused me to revert back to junk food.

P.S. I have also started looking at ingredient labels on products. If I see 'high fructose corn syrup' or 'hydrogenated' on the label I will not buy the product.
Congrats. Though "complex carbs" do not equal processed foods. There are many unprocessed complex carbs out there (i.e. beans, potatoes).

Also wanted to say that you can burn fat without having to be in a ketogenic state, especially if you are working out. I don't think I've ever been in a ketogenic state but somehow lost weight..

Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Congrats. Though "complex carbs" do not equal processed foods. There are many unprocessed complex carbs out there (i.e. beans, potatoes).
That is true. I shouldn't have created that false equivalency. I do each some root vegetables which are starchy (mostly carrots, and onions). Potato was a staple of my family when I was growing up. I won't demonize the unprocessed complex carbs because there are situations where they are beneficial especially for people who jobs or daily activities are very physical. On the flip side I think everyone should be more of aware of what is actually in the processed foods.

Quote:
Also wanted to say that you can burn fat without having to be in a ketogenic state, especially if you are working out. I don't think I've ever been in a ketogenic state but somehow lost weight..
I admit I am far from an expert in the nutrition and health fields. My coworker and I read some fascinating research on possible links between chronic, excess glucose levels and some forms of cancer. The research is very new and controversial but it will be a topic I plan to follow to its eventual conclusion. That is the reason behind my focus on glucose.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
Quote:
Just sayin'.... a guy lost weight eating nothing but twinkies. Hell wasnt there a subway diet? So yeah if you ate only one pint of baskin Robbins ice cream per day then yeah you'll probably lose. But we all know you didn't just eat ice cream, come on.

I don't eat poor quality lettuce and I hate cottage cheese. Carrots are delicious and we could all stand to eat more veggies.
Nope! There was no cheating. As a fat girl I was very used to deprivation. I drank water, plain tea and diet soda though. Back then there was only Tab!

I don't HATE the foods I mentioned but when you live on that for months at a time, you get tired of it. Strange thing...I didn't get tired of the Baskin Robbins at all.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:44 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Way back in the 70's the diet gurus all believed a calorie was a calorie. I knew better and set out to prove it and I was sick of lettuce, cottage cheese, and carrots.

I found a flavor of Baskin Robbins ice cream I liked that was 1K calories a pint. I ate 1 pint of this per day and that's all. And it was weighed by their employees so I knew what I was getting. So there you go, a strict 1000 calorie per day diet. Almost anyone should lose on that.

Wrong. At the end of a month, the net result was a 2 pound gain.
You are awesome.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I admit I am far from an expert in the nutrition and health fields. My coworker and I read some fascinating research on possible links between chronic, excess glucose levels and some forms of cancer. The research is very new and controversial but it will be a topic I plan to follow to its eventual conclusion. That is the reason behind my focus on glucose.
Way to go Dan. And I agree with your earlier post about adding coconut to stop the cravings.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
So, update. I've been really good about sticking to low carb. In 2 weeks I've lost 4 pounds. So, 2 pounds a week. I'm really happy with that. It's hard for me to lose 1 pound a week now at my age on any diet, which was acceptable but required me to feel hungry and deprived.

So, I'm losing twice that much and am full, and oddly, not very hungry all day long. I find I often skip lunch because I'm just not hungry.

Just took a road trip, too, and it wasn't difficult to stay on it. Stayed with a friend and she had lots of meat and eggs for us to eat, and at gas stations I could just grab jerkey and cheese strips. Stopped at a Safeway gas station in one town, and went inside for a bucket of roasted chicken pieces. My dog and I pigged out on chicken in the truck lol.

I feel good, too. So far, so good.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So, update. I've been really good about sticking to low carb. In 2 weeks I've lost 4 pounds. So, 2 pounds a week. I'm really happy with that. It's hard for me to lose 1 pound a week now at my age on any diet, which was acceptable but required me to feel hungry and deprived.

So, I'm losing twice that much and am full, and oddly, not very hungry all day long. I find I often skip lunch because I'm just not hungry.

Just took a road trip, too, and it wasn't difficult to stay on it. Stayed with a friend and she had lots of meat and eggs for us to eat, and at gas stations I could just grab jerkey and cheese strips. Stopped at a Safeway gas station in one town, and went inside for a bucket of roasted chicken pieces. My dog and I pigged out on chicken in the truck lol.

I feel good, too. So far, so good.
You need to eat some veggies and get some fiber into your system. You may be losing weight but your diet is extremely unhealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss