Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
What actually is happening when people say their stomach has shrunk, not by surgery but that feeling you get when you realize your appetite and ability to eat food has gone down?
Our stomachs stretch to facilitate continual over indulgence....maybe I should have said, ''unstretches'. Shrinks seems like a descriptive word for how it 'becomes smaller' or goes back to normal over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 03:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnascor View Post
It is refreshing to hear support versus all the negative aspects...THANKS!

This is becoming a social experiment as much as it is a biological experiment!

Like I said, these are all firsts for me; blogging, long term fasting, social media, ect.

WOW!
I'm currently doing a form of fasting. I would suggest you check out the work of Dr. Jason Fung. He's a MD that supports fasting.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk

Old 03-13-2017, 09:43 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
I am fascinated with efficiency and like the idea of fasting while sleeping. Two birds...

Old 03-13-2017, 04:32 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
First off why are you dong this? If it is to lose weight, you certainly will, but be forewarned that if you are not calculated when you go back to eating real meals you will gain all the weight back and then some.
40 days seems excessive. There is no peer reviewed documented proof that juice fasting is a healthier option than just eating whole, unprocessed foods in a balanced and calorie restrictive manner. But to each his own.

Also, when you juice fruits and vegetables you are eliminating one of the most important parts of the food, the fiber.
If you have read "Sick Fat and Almost Dead" you will see there is actual experiential proof of success with this method, if done carefully. Just saying when you are grossly overweight sometimes a good jump start is necessary -- too many people depending on surgery, with all its accompanying dangers, for the "easy" way to shed pounds.

OP, just be careful and be sure you have a doctor available. Best of luck!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:41 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Cleanses are nonsense. Your body cleanses itself on a daily basis. Your stomach will not shrink if it has been stretched out. It would need to be surgically modified.
If you got bored after 9 days how will you get through 40, and really, what would be the point?

Instead of adding fiber just eat the whole piece of fruit or veggie.
Incorrect. The stomach, an organ, DOES shrink back to normal size WITHOUT surgery. When you overeat and/or are overweight, that organ is unnaturally stretched out to accommodate larger portions of food. Over time and less solids taken in, the stomach more accurately returns to its original correct size.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I am fascinated with efficiency and like the idea of fasting while sleeping. Two birds...
Yes...and if you stop eating at 3 or 4 pm....then have breakfast at 9 or 10 am...that is a good one!
Have hot water with lemon in the morning....an idea....if you can wait til lunch at noon...even better!
I'm inspiring myself!

Old 03-14-2017, 06:47 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Incorrect. The stomach, an organ, DOES shrink back to normal size WITHOUT surgery. When you overeat and/or are overweight, that organ is unnaturally stretched out to accommodate larger portions of food. Over time and less solids taken in, the stomach more accurately returns to its original correct size.
Not if you are morbidly obese. The stomach can and will lose its elasticity if it stays stretched. Just like a rubber band that gets stretched too far.
If we are talking about smaller amounts of weight the stomach will expand and shrink.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:36 PM

201 posts, read 195,022 times
Gnascor,
I'm not sure what IG is?
This is illogical. I am not sure if you are panicking or what salesman suggested this. Never do anything to lose weight you can't maintain for a lifetime.

Healthy diet and exercise, period. What's your exercise plan?
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnascor View Post
I am starting a 40 day juice fast on March 20th and looking for advice/support!!!

I am 6'5" @ 385lbs...

I plan on drinking 6 blended juices throughout each day with adding some hemp protein in 1 or 2 of them. Zero solid intake.

I am new to this whole thing, but my old ways were not working and I am looking for a jump start...a pseudo natural way of shrinking my stomach without the surgery.

I also created my FIRST social media account to document this, will be posting pics and tracking progress...my username is gnascor on IG.

Thanks,
B

Old 03-18-2017, 12:49 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
ABout a year and a half ago I did a 21 day fast and I felt that I got a lot of benefit from it. Before the fast I had hormone problems and at 56 I still had not started menopause but during the fast all those excess hormones cleared out and bam--I went straight into menopause. I haven't been checked yet but I suspect the reason for that is b/c it shrunk my fibroid tumors and all went to normal. The best part is that it was a super easy menopause and while I've had plenty of hotflashes, no one ever enjoyed those as much as I have, lol. But the best best part is that I have a hormone sensitive breast tumor that I've had treated holistically only and that shrunk and never grew again and 3.5 years past dx I'm healthier than I've ever been. The fast hasn't been the whole of my treatment but it's been a huge influence.

Another interesting benefit that I got from the fast was a total cure of a bad sinus infection and it was bad enough I was going to have to go to the doctor and get antibiotics, but 1.5 days into the fast my sinuses were more clear than I could ever remember them being.

From the stuff I read, the body will jettison everything it doesn't need during a fast. It will spare protein b/c you need that, but bacteria, fungi, viruses, and any kind of tumors will get "eaten," b/c your body doesn't need those so will take out foreign invaders first. Your energy is spared b/c digesting food takes a lot of energy so it will turn to fixing any problems that you may have, like extra hormones floating around. It will save muscles for last, b/c the heart is a muscle and supposedly if you get to the point where you go into starvation mode then the body will start on the muscles, but you will simply not be able to abstain from food at that point.

The very best part? The pride I feel in having done this--I've never thought of myself as a person with a lot of self control so this was a huge boost to my self esteem. I'd recommend keeping a journal during this time and keep track of feelings. I was afraid I'd be depressed during that time b/c I stayed fairly isolated but the opposite was true--emotionally I felt great.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,722,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
ABout a year and a half ago I did a 21 day fast and I felt that I got a lot of benefit from it.
Exactly what did you eat/drink during your fast?

I've heard of some that include protein shakes. I don't think I could handle a juice fast, too much sugar for my system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss