Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 731 times

Advertisements

I am having problems finding an eating routine that works for me, and I was wondering if anyone had some ideas or tips they could share.

For most of my life, I have had an unusual eating schedule. I would basically eat one meal a day. Now, before someone freaks out, I want to say to clarify that I was never restricting or doing this on purpose- I just typically only get hungry about once a day. Normally, I would have something small in the morning before going to work (like a glass of milk and a banana), and then I would drink a ton of water during the day at work. I am a schoolteacher, so typically I am super busy all day long, and I get so busy I rarely think about eating. Then, after I got home around 4, I would eat a large meal. I would always just eat whatever I wanted- if I wanted a burger, I'd have a burger. If I wanted a larger salad or pasta, I'd have a large salad or pasta. Then after eating, I would be full until bedtime and would repeat the cycle the next day. I never worried about food, and I was always able to maintain a steady, consistent, healthy weight with this schedule. I just ate whatever and whenever j wanted, which typically meant I ate one large meal.

However, over the past 2 years my life has changed. I met an awesome guy, and we moved in together and got married. He works out after work (which means he gets home at around 7) and then he wants to eat dinner. So, I end up either cooking him dinner or going out, which means I end up eating again. I have tried to just not eat at 4 and instead have 3 normal meals like everyone else- but I have put on 25 lbs since we moved in together 2 years ago. I am struggling with finding an eating schedule that works not only with my metabolism, but my new lifestyle.

I have tried everything I can think of. I've gone to Weight Watchers, lost 5 lbs, and then plateaued and put it back on. I've tried eating 6 smaller meals a day, but I find depending on the time of day I either have to force myself to eat the meals or force myself not to overeat. I want to go back to the one meal a day schedule, but with my new non-single lifestyle it's totally unrealistic. My husband says he's cool with me going back to just eating the one meal, but when he eats at 7 I often find myself eating along with him, even though I know I'm not hungry. How can I find a new eating schedule that works for my body AND my lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 05:45 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,343 times
See a nutritionist.

Mae

Old 04-07-2017, 06:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I eat a big protein breakfast in the morning and dinner at 7. No snacking in between. Have you tried that? If you just have fruit at breakfast, you'll probably be hungry sooner.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:18 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
This may sound harsh, but if you really wanted to make a plan work you would. Plenty of people with busy schedules do. How bad do you want to lose weight?
Sacrifice is the most important ingredient.
Eating one meal a day may have worked for you at one point in your life, but it is not a viable solution for the long run, and its just downright the wrong way to go about losing weight.

As we age our bodies change. We need to adapt to that change.
How long were you on WW before you plateaued?
Also, expect to lose 2 pounds a week if you are lucky, 1 to 1 1/2 is going to be more normal.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:24 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAbernathy View Post
However, over the past 2 years my life has changed. I met an awesome guy, and we moved in together and got married. He works out after work (which means he gets home at around 7) and then he wants to eat dinner. So, I end up either cooking him dinner or going out, which means I end up eating again. I have tried to just not eat at 4 and instead have 3 normal meals like everyone else- but I have put on 25 lbs since we moved in together 2 years ago. I am struggling with finding an eating schedule that works not only with my metabolism, but my new lifestyle.
So you're saying that you'd eat a large meal at 4, and then another large meal with your husband? Of course you're gaining weight like that. Couldn't you just either not eat or have a small snack when you get home, and then eat a smaller meal with him when he gets home? You have to retrain yourself. Do what you need to do, but know it's unhealthy to have an all or nothing relationship with food.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I eat a big protein breakfast in the morning and dinner at 7. No snacking in between. Have you tried that? If you just have fruit at breakfast, you'll probably be hungry sooner.
This is not a healthy solution. While it works for you, it is not something you should be advocating.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This is not a healthy solution. While it works for you, it is not something you should be advocating.
Why not? There's nothing at all wrong with eating just twice a day.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
For most people that is not a viable solution. Our bodies do much better with no more than a 3 hour gap between meals unless you are into intermittent fasting. It works for you, and that is great. But its not going to work for most people.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:59 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
That is correct, I usually have two sizable meals a day, and it works fine for me as a higher protein low carbohydrate diet is quite satiating. If you're on a modified paleo or gluten free diet with zero wheat intake at all you don't get hungry much at all. That is because modern wheat is definitely an appetite stimulant for many people..

Old 04-09-2017, 01:04 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
For most people that is not a viable solution. Our bodies do much better with no more than a 3 hour gap between meals unless you are into intermittent fasting. It works for you, and that is great. But its not going to work for most people.
I don't think that's true for anyone. Most people do much better with uninterrupted sleep rather than waking up to eat every three hours. Certainly most people go more than three hours between meals. Typically Breakfast is 6-7, lunch 12, dinner at 6. Quite common to go five hours even if you're not skipping meals. Some people have snacks between meals but many do not.

Personally, I think it's all bunk. Eating five meals a day works, eating two meals a day works, intermittent fasting and not eating for 16 hours works. It's all good. You just pick what works for you and your schedule or don't pick anything at all. Some people swear by going no more than three hours between meals (although they generally exclude the time between the last meal and the first meal of the next day). I'm sure that works fine. Typically I eat two meals. The only meal I really try and get is breakfast which I'm not always successful at in which case I'll grab a piece of fruit and then have lunch and dinner. More typically I eat breakfast and then an early dinner around 4-5. Even eating two meals a day, sometimes I just forget to eat a meal and wind up eating one meal for the day. One meal a day for me doesn't work as a schedule as it's difficult for me to fit in the 2,200-2,600 calories I eat in a day in a single meal. Usually what happens when I forget to eat a meal is I just eat more the next day though. I don't really notice any ill effects from eating 1,200 calories on one day and then catching up and eating 3,400 the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss