Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 AM

712 posts, read 554,854 times

Advertisements

Cover up the loose skin with pretty clothing, she still looks amazing. Compression garments help too. But the alternative of preferring being overweight vs loose skin to me is sad. Your getting healthy, that should be your goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 08:44 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
I was browsing through the Yahoo homepage and I came across this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-sha...190537852.html

This young woman did a VERY brave thing by sharing pictures of the results of her weight loss with her followers. However, I feel SO bad for her though!

After all that she went through with the surgery and everything she's doing to eat healthier and exercise, she still has so much excess skin and lax muscle tissue to contend with. According to the article, most (if not all) types of health insurance do NOT cover skin removal surgery because they consider it to be a "cosmetic" surgery.

But, I would think that the excess skin that almost everyone winds up with after a large amount of weight loss could hamper their overall health! What about sores, bacterial infections, etc. that occur as a result of a person having large amounts of excess hanging skin? What about someone trying to stay active and exercise but it's difficult for them because of the excess skin flapping around and hindering their progress?

Why don't insurance companies take these things into consideration?

After reading this woman's story, I'm starting to wonder if this is the reason why so many people don't want to lose weight.....because this is what they're going to have to live with forever if they can't afford to have skin removal surgery...
She still had a long way to go until being in her ideal body weight range if this is in fact her goal. I was hearing not everyone has as much of a problem with excess skin. Pretty amazing weight loss. I always wonder how people can end up that much over weight. You really need to consume a really large amount of food to gain and maintain a weight of 300 lbs plus a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss