Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:42 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times

Advertisements

The other day, two of my female coworkers were having a conversation in the cubicle next to me. They were discussing weight. Both women would be considered overweight and I think they're both in their 40s. One of the women said she doesn't want to lose weight because she's afraid it'll make her look older. Now, I have to admit she has a very youthful face. She could probably pass for mid 30s. She has no lines on her face and very healthy looking skin. There's none of the sagging you start to see as you get older. Do you think there's any truth to what she said about extra weight making you look younger in the face? I know that when some people lose a lot of weight, their face starts to look really drawn in and that definitely makes them look older. Men are far less concerned about this since they just want to have a strong jawline and defined face. But what with women getting Botox and fillers, it makes sense that someone who already looks young might not want to lose that. Have any of you lost weight and discovered that it made you look older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 01:46 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Do you think there's any truth to what she said about extra weight making you look younger in the face?
Absolutely not.

In fact, extra weight overall usually ages you.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:48 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
Well she will live to be older by being thin vs being over weight that is a given.

Fast forward 10 yrs and I bet she would forego anything to be HWP and thin vs an overweight 50+ year old lady.

But if she is so enamored by the youthful glow her fat chubby cheeks gives her ... not much anyone is going to do to sway her opinion.

Diabetes is not your friend. And being 50+ and over weight is a great start at getting in bed with the beetus.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Difference between the idea that being overweight makes you appear younger and the idea that as we age, if we tend to be on the thin side, we might want to add 5-10 lbs to what we usually have weighed. Seems to me even Jane Fonda, after her success with fitness videos, has said she needs to carry a few more lbs to keep her face from looking drawn. IMO that is different than being overweight.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:57 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I think there is some truth to the idea that one's face appears younger when one is slightly overweight. Several years ago I lost about 1/3 of my body weight very rapidly--in about 4 months. I wasn't sick, but it was a very, very stressful time in my life. I should add that I definitely needed to lose the weight; just not the way I did. It wasn't planned.

Because I lost so much weight in middle age, I lost a lot of the fat on my face. Definitely looked older, even a year after the stress was gone, than I do now that I've gained back a bit of the weight. My face was definitely drawn in.

All of that said, for people that carry extra weight at the mid-section, that definitely ages one more than a person that carries extra weight in a more balanced way.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
This has nothing to do with diet and weight loss. It should be posted in the health and beauty sections.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:11 PM

761 posts, read 604,079 times
Being overweight might make a person look unappealing,
but truth be told the extra fat on the face does in fact swell the wrinkles.

I know so many women all the same age. The heavier gals, every darn one of them has youthful skin and minimal wrinkles compared to their thinner crepe skined
counterparts. Its been topic of converation amongst the group.

The smokers have the most wrinkles.

My logic is this: Eat healthy whether you are fat or thin, and you'll look healthy.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:20 PM

711 posts, read 687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Being overweight might make a person look unappealing,
but truth be told the extra fat on the face does in fact swell the wrinkles.

I know so many women all the same age. The heavier gals, every darn one of them has youthful skin and minimal wrinkles compared to their thinner crepe skined
counterparts.
Its been topic of converation amongst the group.

The smokers have the most wrinkles.

My logic is this: Eat healthy whether you are fat or thin, and you'll look healthy.
I think this is true for me. I've lost a good amount of weight and still have about 25-35 lbs to go. I definitely see some drooping in my face and it's been mentioned by a couple other people.

OTOH, my skin tone is brighter and healthier because I'm eating better! The bottom line for me though is body parts that use to hurt don't hurt as much/at all and many physical limitations are gone. For me, I'm thankful that vanity was never my driving force to lose weight.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:47 PM

761 posts, read 604,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
I think this is true for me. I've lost a good amount of weight and still have about 25-35 lbs to go. I definitely see some drooping in my face and it's been mentioned by a couple other people.

OTOH, my skin tone is brighter and healthier because I'm eating better! The bottom line for me though is body parts that use to hurt don't hurt as much/at all and many physical limitations are gone. For me, I'm thankful that vanity was never my driving force to lose weight.
..but understand this.. if you are losing weight and notice wrinkles..
and coast a while, you'll notice your skin catch up and look just as good as you did when you were heavier IF you are eating FRESH FOODS..

When your body gets healthy foods it cannot help but heal itself
you will be putting LIVE food in at the cellular level.
All that chlorophyll will make both inside and out pick up the pace to your new body, and you'll tone up more quickly than if you just continued to eat unhealthily, but less of it.

I'm so proud of you, and you are an inspiration!

Old 05-02-2017, 04:17 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Overweight does NOT make anyone appear younger. Usually the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss