Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:58 AM

329 posts, read 459,463 times

Advertisements

Thank you! Less sugar has definitely improved my mood and I am not tired as I used to be.

Most importantly, I no longer reach for sugar when I need an energy boost, because that just makes things way way worse.

I think before I realized that sugar was not good for you but I just wasn't ready to be without it. Now that I am, taking it day by day and really seeing some major improvements in my health so I am going to keep going with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 AM

264 posts, read 313,726 times

Old 06-21-2017, 08:39 AM

That captures it perfectly! Thank you. Goodbye to my beloved Frappes, sweetened iced teas, etc. forever!

Old 06-26-2017, 08:05 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I'm trying Stevia right now, just a tiny bit in my tea, instead of honey.

It seems to be working out.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:18 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I'm trying Stevia right now, just a tiny bit in my tea, instead of honey.

It seems to be working out.

Stevia is showing up in many products these days. Like any sugar substitute it has an after-taste that I don't like. Since I use local Honey only, I believe the benefit out weighs the risk.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:30 PM

I would not try sugar substitutes. You just don't know what's in there, and what the risks may be for sure.

Instead, just try the tea or coffee without sugar. This way you actually get to taste the real flavor of what you are drinking or eating. Otherwise, everything you drink or eat tastes like, well, sugar.

It may be kind of strange at first, but eventually you'll get used to it and probably even prefer it after you see all the health benefits of cutting out sugar.

I feel much healthier. Definitely not as tired as I used to be (and esp. when you have a 7 year old, that's important) Also not as moody. I cut out caffeine previously except for coffee but now I am drinking the decaf coffee and it's fine as far as taste. Probably has a bit of caffeine still, but not as much as regular coffee. With regular coffee I would drink it
and then feel like my heart was racing and then drink water to get it out of my system. Then I was thinking, "Well why don't I just switch to decaf coffee?"

Makes a big difference in my daily life as far as I feel so I am going to keep this up! Give it a try!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
It's all in moderation. I eat occasional sugar and am not "FAT" or "HUGE" or "ugly". In fact I'm in great shape and though am a married woman often get mistaken for a high schooler so I guess sugar isn't quite the devil it's said to be.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:34 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
It's all in moderation. I eat occasional sugar and am not "FAT" or "HUGE" or "ugly". In fact I'm in great shape and though am a married woman often get mistaken for a high schooler so I guess sugar isn't quite the devil it's said to be.
agree

Pretty much anything is OK in moderation

I have a small bag of sugar at my house that I think I purchased 6 yrs or so ago when I bought this place. yes same small 2 lb bag.

It never gets used as I am not a baker and the time or 2 I am out of my carnation milk / coffee creamer I might reach for the sugar twice a year. maybe 1/2 tsp into a cup of Joe.

I do not drink sugary drinks and thank goodness I do not crave sweets - junk food candy etc ...

Yea one guaranteed way to get on the fast track to Fat-ville ( or bloatville ) is to eat / drink a lot of sugar.

Its easy for me to live without it. On the rare occasion I actually eat a sweet treat I appreciate it much more and am conscious to eat a very very small portion of it. The amount of sugar in brownies or doughnuts or cakes and other sweet treats is a shocker. Watch one of those items get made from scratch... the recipe calls for a CUP OR 2 of sugar as part of the mixture ! Yea a cup or 2 !!

Old 07-01-2017, 12:07 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
No, wheat is far worse than sugar, and a big contributor to the present obesity epidemic in the US.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Being born in the "dark ages" 1938 we knew NOTHING about the damage of sugars, wheat etc etc etc.

Mom baked like a mad woman, as did aunts etc...we ate that sweet stuff. And was also raised on pasta, breads and the like, don't forget the cookies, donuts UGH UGH.

And sneaking out to get cokes and later moved to pepsi.

It's no wonder today, my mouth is full of dental work, and body full of arthritis.

I live with the OA but have changed so much. Finally, now that there is so much info for us to grab. On the dental now, I take care of my own teeth and don't go to dentist since I don't use commercial toothpaste anymore, got wise to that.

We just didn't know for a LONG time. If one lives long enough, they should have learned something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss