Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 01:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I honestly don't miss anything, that's the beauty of calorie management.

There are foods I no longer have because its calorie count is disproportionately high (e.g., milkshakes), but even with that, I could still indulge every now and again, but only if I adjust accordingly.
This^^^

The surest way to fail on a diet is to start completely cutting out foods that you enjoy. Maintaining a healthy weight is all about moderation and calorie control. I can eat whatever I want, I just can't eat unlimited amounts of it or eat it all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 04:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I really don't miss anything and I don't diet but WATCH now more than ever since I took off 30 lbs while in rehabs with knee. It just came off as my appetite was horrible due to pain drugs and abx drugs.

A friend was telling me about TJ's lentil wraps and I got one from a friend who shops for me...it was very good but HIGH carbs. I'll never do that again.

I ate a lot of pizza back in 80's and really porked out. No more.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:50 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
This^^^

The surest way to fail on a diet is to start completely cutting out foods that you enjoy. Maintaining a healthy weight is all about moderation and calorie control. I can eat whatever I want, I just can't eat unlimited amounts of it or eat it all the time.
Exactly. It does help to remind yourself that you can eat whatever food you like, just maybe not today.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:30 PM

45 posts, read 83,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I honestly don't miss anything, that's the beauty of calorie management.

There are foods I no longer have because its calorie count is disproportionately high (e.g., milkshakes), but even with that, I could still indulge every now and again, but only if I adjust accordingly.
^^ This!!!!!

Planning out what I'm eating in advance allows me to space out my calories so I don't overeat.

No need to cut things out I enjoy because I count calories. If I want that Dairy Queen medium Blizzard that is 800 calories I can fit it in. Not everyday and the rare times I'll sometimes have half and split it someone or freeze and save the rest for another day.

Eating this way has made maintaining my weight loss easy too. Moderation and planning.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
This is the first time in my life I don't have any cravings. About 8 weeks ago I knew I had to lose weight. I was going over all the options and there is tons of advice out there, lol. Anyway I joined the 10 day Green Smoothie group and the ladies there were so encouraging. I know it's a fad type thing but I decided to try it for a jump start. The first 2 weeks or so I did a modified version and had 2 green smoothies a day plus a healthy meal for lunch. Then I did the 10 days. Now I am eating much less each day but very healthy. Sometimes I make a green smoothie for breakfast using almond milk, chia seeds, greens, and a cup full of fruit. It fills me and I know it's healthy. So far I am down 22 pounds and I feel good. Anyway the biggest benefit I got from that diet was I lost all my cravings. I've had no sugar or carbs for 8 weeks and I don't miss it which for me is truly bizarre as I love sweets and breads. Or at least I used to.

I do love to cook and I will be going to visit family out of state soon to cook with one of my nieces. I have been reading and copying so many recipes for her. My SO laughs at me and says you won't eat it but you read it and look at the pictures. How can you do that?, lol.

Oh wait....there is one thing I am planning to make on our trip that I really want...well 2 things. BBQ ribs and cheesecake. Now those sound good to me.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:18 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
This is the first time in my life I don't have any cravings. About 8 weeks ago I knew I had to lose weight. I was going over all the options and there is tons of advice out there, lol. Anyway I joined the 10 day Green Smoothie group and the ladies there were so encouraging. I know it's a fad type thing but I decided to try it for a jump start. The first 2 weeks or so I did a modified version and had 2 green smoothies a day plus a healthy meal for lunch. Then I did the 10 days. Now I am eating much less each day but very healthy. Sometimes I make a green smoothie for breakfast using almond milk, chia seeds, greens, and a cup full of fruit. It fills me and I know it's healthy. So far I am down 22 pounds and I feel good. Anyway the biggest benefit I got from that diet was I lost all my cravings. I've had no sugar or carbs for 8 weeks and I don't miss it which for me is truly bizarre as I love sweets and breads. Or at least I used to.

I do love to cook and I will be going to visit family out of state soon to cook with one of my nieces. I have been reading and copying so many recipes for her. My SO laughs at me and says you won't eat it but you read it and look at the pictures. How can you do that?, lol.

Oh wait....there is one thing I am planning to make on our trip that I really want...well 2 things. BBQ ribs and cheesecake. Now those sound good to me.
I'm happy for you, so please don't mistake what I'm about to say. But why should you deprive yourself of things that you enjoy? Weight loss is not about deprivation. It's about, as was said, calorie management and behavior modification. You can still eat things you enjoy while losing weight. I trained my body to do one thing and one thing only - feel satisfied with smaller portions. I don't have cravings because I do not deny myself. We all want to drop the pounds. I was really overweight, so I know the feeling. But this time I wanted more than just lost pounds. I wanted to a total mentality/lifestyle change.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:49 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm happy for you, so please don't mistake what I'm about to say. But why should you deprive yourself of things that you enjoy? Weight loss is not about deprivation. It's about, as was said, calorie management and behavior modification. You can still eat things you enjoy while losing weight. I trained my body to do one thing and one thing only - feel satisfied with smaller portions. I don't have cravings because I do not deny myself. We all want to drop the pounds. I was really overweight, so I know the feeling. But this time I wanted more than just lost pounds. I wanted to a total mentality/lifestyle change.

Thank you and I agree with you. I was just surprised that by doing that smoothie plan I really did lose my cravings. But I do plan on indulging on our trip...just no too much. Then once back home I will add in whole grains and a few sweets here and there. I don't want to live without the good stuff forever. That is no way to live when there is so much food to enjoy.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:10 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I am doing an extended cycle of the keto-diet. I really like brown-rice, but, yeah, can't touch that on keto.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:05 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
A piece of cake .. but it has to have no icing. I don't like icing on cake. Too sweet!

Old 06-24-2017, 09:18 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
butter. Thats probably it. or maybe popeye's chicken.

but as to butter, i love the flavor on some bland foods but it has the most dense calorie per teaspoon for a zero nutrient food. (120 cal a tsp for zero nutrient benefit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss