Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 03:38 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times

Advertisements

So I am experimenting with smoothies and I think I have the frozen fruit ones down pretty well, but I wanted to see what I could accomplish with a big handful of greens and some other stuff. I found this recipe online and I thought it was pretty darn tasty, in a weird kind of way. Anybody out there have any go to smoothies made mostly (or entirely) from vegetables that they can vouch for?

Fruit-Free Green Smoothie | In Sonnet's Kitchen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 04:59 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Vegetable shakes are the way to go if you want to be healthy. The fruit ones its too easy to over do it on the sugar. People mistakenly think its healthy because its fruit but unknowingly take in 4 to 5 times the recommended daily servings of fruit/sugar by putting 5-6 servings of fruit in one drink - DUMB.

My favorites:

Spinach (lots of leaves)
5 blueberries
2 strawberries
1/4 avocado
few shreddings of avocado seed
Vanilla almond milk
Optimum Nutrition whey

OR

Half Kale and half spinach
Avocado
Broccoli
4 blueberries
2 strawberries
Vanilla Almond milk
Optimum Nutrition whey

Usually, if you use spinach, whey or collards as the main ingredient and keep the fruit to an absolute minimum you will be good.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Heres a site i use to create smoothies, although the site is meant for juicing i just use a blender instead of a juicer=
Browse Juicing Recipes, Get Juicing Calories and Nutrition in Juice, Create Your Own Juice | myPHYTOS

Old 07-09-2017, 05:26 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Fatsickandnearlydead.com has a lot of recipes on it's site. I'm just about to start this all juice diet, except in my case it will have to be smoothies because I only have a blender, not a juicer. A juicer would be better, but I'll have to make it work with a blender.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:09 AM

209 posts, read 417,554 times
My favorite is:
1 handful spinach
2 handfuls kale
1/2 beet (cooked)
2 carrots
1/2 c cherries
1/2 c grapefruit sections
1 c water

You can include any other mix-ins like flax, chia, matcha, etc. It's not overly sweet, the tartness of the grapefruit gives it a kick. You can also throw in some parsley, cilantro or whatever you have in the fridge.

Last edited by beachdiver; 07-09-2017 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: Add content

Old 07-09-2017, 06:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
When you do kale, what fruit would take the bitter taste out? A granny smith apple? i'd like to eat kale for the health benefits and dont like the taste of it by itself.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:50 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Fatsickandnearlydead.com has a lot of recipes on it's site. I'm just about to start this all juice diet, except in my case it will have to be smoothies because I only have a blender, not a juicer. A juicer would be better, but I'll have to make it work with a blender.
I would start slowly at 1-2 juice drinks a day and at least 1-2 normal whole food meals

Going full blown Defcon-1 and all juice and no normal whole food items may yield results ... but is it something you can adhere to forever ?

Successful diets are ones that are a lifestyle change of your eating habits and sticking to that plan forever.

Going all juice diet may be setting yourself up for failure down the road when you stop juicing

Just my thoughts ... best of luck to you

Old 07-09-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I lasted 15 days on the all juice diet,lost about 20lbs that all came back faster than i lost it.
while the occasional juice can be a real refreshing treat as a diet its unsustainable.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:00 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Thanks for all the replies - I am going to keep experimenting and trying some of these combos you all have suggested.

Fwiw, I tried a kale based smoothie today and I did not like the flavor as much as the Spinach based smoothie that I tried yesterday. I tried adding some blueberries per Kings Gambit's reply above and I think it may have helped but I added in celery too so maybe that was why it tasted more bitter.

It is my understanding that the citrus fruits (lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruits) will probably be most effective at countering the bitter of the greens.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:22 PM

I find chard to be a good substitute for kale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss