Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 12:30 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,738,815 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying I'm kinda a natural 'apple shape' when it comes to body shape. 38 year old female. When I gain weight, I gain heavy in these areas:

Stomach (~50%)
Chest (~25%)
Upper arms (~15%)
Face (~5%)
Everywhere else (~5%)

In my mid 20s I had great success on the South Beach diet which was high protein...but that was years ago and I don't 'diet' anymore. I do try however to make small changes in what I eat when I find I'm needing to lose weight, which often times it's around 10 lbs I need to get rid of which is obviously becoming harder the older I get.

Anywho, in recently putting more focus on what I eat than my work outs, I've been beginning to wonder if some of the meals I'm preparing at home might be hurting my potential for weight loss. I think about how I did well previously on the high protein diet but I've been feeling less and less like eating meat lately. Maybe it's this hot humid Atlanta weather that's got me wanting to eat meals that feel less heavy.

Anways, I digress...

One of the meals I've been eating for breakfast lately (and sometimes lunch instead) are acai bowls. I make them with:
-1 tbs acai powder
-1/4 c sugar free almond milk
-Dash of cinnamon
-1 c frozen fruit
-Half a banana

I blend and top with approximately 10 blueberries, 3 strawberries, the rest of the half of the banana, 1 tbs chopped walnuts, 1 tbs chia seeds and 1/2 tbs almond butter.

I am beginning to wonder however if this is an unhealthy meal because of the amount of fruit...? In other words, I have the type of body shape that previously responded very well to very low sugar levels and I remember specifically that the south beach diet had a phase in the beginning where I couldn't even eat fruit. I don't normally get much fruit in my diet so I thought this might be a good meal but now I'm thinking perhaps not due to the amount of sugar that's in the fruits.

I'm used to doing eggs/omelets for breakfast but I got so tired after like 2 months straight of that. Then I did avocado toast (1 piece organic whole grain sprouted bread from Trader Joe's, 1 mashed avocado, 1 hard egg) for like an entire month straight and wanted something different so that's why I thought of adding this meal to my recipe list. Because my apple shaped body reacts pretty quickly to sugars (and bad carbs) by giving me a 7-month pregnancy look, I want to be careful with incorporating meals that might 'seem' healthy but just not be good for me when trying to lose weight.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:07 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
The mix appears to be about 400 calories (not sure about the Acai powder number). It's probably not very filling and also high in sugar. While it presents as healthy, healthy and low-calorie are often not even close to the same thing.

I tend to select proteins for breakfast (turkey sausage, hard-boiled eggs, bacon on occasion). I find that I feel fuller and for longer periods of time. Plus, my breakfast selections, including coffee with half-and-half usually come in at around 200 calories total. That positions me well for the remainder of the day (I tend to keep to 600 calories or less before dinner).

When I get bored with my standard choices, I'll switch over to oatmeal for a few days, sprinkled with cinnamon. That fits well within my calorie planning scheme. And when I'm stuck someplace where I can't easily eat what I prefer, I'll switch to a piece of fruit and a handful of nuts.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:25 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
A cup of fruit a day is a good thing. However, there's a whole lot of things in those shakes and it can add up calorie wise. Shakes have the volume to fill you up but you need to account for the calories. It might be helpful, especially since you're being proactive here, to return to tracking calories so that you can see just how much you're consuming. It's very easy to think you're consuming X when you're really consuming Y. Excess calories, be they from sugar or wherever, can add onto your waistline. And yes, as we get older, the lbs do creep on.

I'm one of those people who gain weight all over, lol. it's hard to pinpoint where it starts.

I'm an exercise fan. That being said, maybe also tweak your workouts.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:07 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,738,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The mix appears to be about 400 calories (not sure about the Acai powder number). It's probably not very filling and also high in sugar. While it presents as healthy, healthy and low-calorie are often not even close to the same thing.

I tend to select proteins for breakfast (turkey sausage, hard-boiled eggs, bacon on occasion). I find that I feel fuller and for longer periods of time. Plus, my breakfast selections, including coffee with half-and-half usually come in at around 200 calories total. That positions me well for the remainder of the day (I tend to keep to 600 calories or less before dinner).

When I get bored with my standard choices, I'll switch over to oatmeal for a few days, sprinkled with cinnamon. That fits well within my calorie planning scheme. And when I'm stuck someplace where I can't easily eat what I prefer, I'll switch to a piece of fruit and a handful of nuts.
I usually eat another meal 4-5 hours later (say, breakfast at 11 am...lunch around 4 pm). I feel like the nuts and especially the chia seeds which are high in fiber tend to fill me up just enough.

I agree having 2 eggs would be a lower calorie choice and I'm used to doing that as well. I will eventually make my way back to having oatmeal too some days (just found some recipes for overnight oats)...it's just that I had maxed out on oatmeal on one point having it like seriously every day for almost an entire year. I took a looooong break from it as I loved eating it every day and then all of a sudden it was like one day I woke up and practically never wanted to eat it again lol.

I had also calculated the acai bowl around ~400 calories. The acai powder itself only has 20 calories in that one tablespoon.

I guess it's hard to say if this is an 'unhealthy' meal or not...? I wouldn't categorize it as too low or too high in calories. Maybe lacking in protein? As far as weight loss is concerned I was just thinking it would be less ideal than another 400 calorie meal option such as eggs with toast and turkey bacon or avocado since that sort of meal would be lower in sugar. I guess what I'm wondering about is if the sugar from fruit is really 'that bad' to be having daily.

I don't think I could do 200 calorie breakfasts every day by the way...I do decent work outs and right now I wake up pretty hungry.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:33 AM

1,098 posts, read 901,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I usually eat another meal 4-5 hours later (say, breakfast at 11 am...lunch around 4 pm). I feel like the nuts and especially the chia seeds which are high in fiber tend to fill me up just enough.

I agree having 2 eggs would be a lower calorie choice and I'm used to doing that as well. I will eventually make my way back to having oatmeal too some days (just found some recipes for overnight oats)...it's just that I had maxed out on oatmeal on one point having it like seriously every day for almost an entire year. I took a looooong break from it as I loved eating it every day and then all of a sudden it was like one day I woke up and practically never wanted to eat it again lol.

I had also calculated the acai bowl around ~400 calories. The acai powder itself only has 20 calories in that one tablespoon.

I guess it's hard to say if this is an 'unhealthy' meal or not...? I wouldn't categorize it as too low or too high in calories. Maybe lacking in protein? As far as weight loss is concerned I was just thinking it would be less ideal than another 400 calorie meal option such as eggs with toast and turkey bacon or avocado since that sort of meal would be lower in sugar. I guess what I'm wondering about is if the sugar from fruit is really 'that bad' to be having daily.

I don't think I could do 200 calorie breakfasts every day by the way...I do decent work outs and right now I wake up pretty hungry.
I don't think it's necessarily unhealthy, but as others have said, I'm guessing it's lacking in protein and probably fat..1/2 tbs of almond butter and a little bit of chopped nuts really isn't that much.

Fruit is nature's candy, and even more so recently. It's not unhealthy necessarily, but you certainly shouldn't be eating too much of it. I think the amount you're eating right now is fine though, 10 blueberries and 3 strawberries and half a banana probably aren't going to set you over the edge.

Just to experiment, you could cut out all fruit and see how it goes..I always feel better in the morning when I stay away from sugar. My favorite breakfast usually based around eggs, sausage or bacon,and avocados and veggies. And occasionally, plain oatmeal--which some would probably argue is just converted into sugar but I eat it anyway..I always make sure to add coconut oil just to balance it out a bit.

Last edited by Jame22; 08-05-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 10-29-2017, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,047 times
Hi,
I loss my weight in 9 months. But it was never an easy task to do so. I worked really hard to loss my weight. Worked both on diet and exercise. I used to run in the daily in the morning. I took advice from a diet doctor to loss my weight. He advised me to take nutrition diet instead of eating fast food. You can use nutrition diet to loss your weight. Visit https://sanesolution.com/. Here you can find nutrition diet plan along with the recipes. But dont forget to work hard on your exercises. Especially running.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:42 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
There is no diet that addresses certain body shapes. If you are an apple then you will lose weight in your stomach last. No diet in the world will change that unfortunately. People will tell you that certain foods are good for belly fat, but in reality, your body is always going to chose where it loses its weight regardless.
What you are eating sounds fine if it fills you up. I would need some protein in that - a small scoop of protein powder perhaps.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:32 AM

582 posts, read 763,153 times
It won't fill you unless you add an adequate amount of protein powder ( some people add tofu or any other source of protein) and most of the recipes I have seen online are very high in sugar. People just dump an insane amount of fruits to make those smoothies. So unless you add a moderate amount of fruit and a good amount of protein to your acai smoothie bowl, you will feel hungry again after a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss