Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:55 AM

108 posts, read 148,421 times

Advertisements

I'm sure that there have probably been numerous topics like this posted on here already, but I wanted to ask for some information, advice and suggestions that will help with my specific situation. I hope this will be OK to ask about on here.

As for myself, I am 42 years-old, lazy and out of shape, and I have a big gut/fat stomach (on an otherwise average physique) that I've had for the better part of the past 15 years or so. And having this gut is really bothersome and embarrassing. I'm 5'10'' and weigh around 205 lbs. and, to most people, I look like I'm fairly average in weight/build; but that's just because I've gotten accustomed to pretty much sucking in my stomach at all times whenever I'm out in public. This is also a problem, as it seems likely to have contributed to my lower back problems, and it's often an annoyance to have to be conscious of not letting my fat stomach relax and allow it to show how fat it actually is. When I completely relax my stomach, I literally look like I could be 6-7 months pregnant. It's pathetic and absolutely humiliating to think about a woman seeing me with my shirt off and seeing how fat/big my stomach actually is.

As for some important pertinent details about my situation, I should state upfront that I basically don't eat any meats (beef, chicken, pork); except for fish, and that's only sometimes. This isn't even intentional, as I ate meat for my entire life, up until about 3-4 years ago, when I saw a disturbing picture online that grossed me out and basically made it so that I have been unable to get myself to eat any sort of meat for the past 3-4 years. Except for fish, which I'm able to get myself to eat sometimes.

I should also mention that I am legitimately addicted to Diet Coke and that I drink, literally, 1.5 to 2 gallons of fountain soda Diet Coke every day of my life. For the record, I am not exaggerating. I have two 1-gallon pitchers that I fill up with Diet Coke at Circle K almost every day of my life. I do like ice in them, though, so if I just drink the 2 pitchers full, it's not actually two full gallons. But I also buy 60-oz styrofoam cups from a different convenience store (Valero Corner Store), since the largest styrofoam size Circle K sells is a 44-oz cup. And I will sometimes go through both 1-gallon pitchers and a refill of a 60-oz styrofoam cup in a single day. I know that I should, at the very least, cut down on my Diet Coke consumption, but I've been drinking diet soda since 1990, for over 27 years now, and it's basically become part of my life. If I sleep for like 10-11 hours or more, I will generally wake up with a headache from caffeine withdrawal, from not having drank any Diet Coke for 10-11 hours. So, even trying to start cutting down on how much Diet Coke I drink is a seriously difficult challenge to take on.

I also drink very little water (I often go days without drinking even a sip of water, and literally only drinking for 3-4 days at a time. There is a water fountain at my work, though, which I will generally drink out of 5-10 times during a shift; but that's often literally the only water I will consume during the week, and I only work 3-4 days of the week, so I know that I'm no drinking nearly as much water as I should be drinking.

And my diet is generally absolutely awful. Including, way too much fast food (things like grilled cheese sandwiches and tater tots from Sonic; and bean and cheese burritos, mini quesedillas/cheese crisps and french fries from Del Taco). And since I can't eat meat, and, unfortunately, I am not a good cook, my meals at home are often things like mac & cheese, microwaved cheese crisps, SpaghettiOs, Pop Tarts, Toaster Strudels, honey buns, which are all unhealthy, and all of which I eat way too frequently. I also eats lots of unhealthy/fatty foods at work, like white rice, scalloped potatoes, french fries, thick dinner rolls (but I do get wheat breads when I can), and I do sometimes eat tuna fish sandwiches. For the most part, though, the foods that I eat are most likely to be considered very unhealthy.

With that out of the way, I'd like to ask, what are some good/simple ways for me to AT LEAST START losing some of my stomach fat??

What are some good fat-burning foods? Simple meals or snacks that I could try out?

And what are some good exercises that I could try, that are likely to help me to at least start losing some of my stomach fat?

My line of thinking is that if I can at least lose a few pounds and get my stomach to be even a little smaller, it will encourage me and motivate me to keep working towards losing weight and getting healthier, instead of getting frustrated or discouraged, being that patience is not one of my string points (although, I sure wish that it was!).

I'm curious, as I've heard in the past, is walking really a legitimately good way to start exercising and losing some weight? If so, what's a realistic minimum distance/time to start walking and likely get to see a difference from? Is walking 1 mile a good start? 2 miles? 5 miles? 8 miles? Odd number to use, I know, but I am a huge Eminem fan!

And what about other exercises that are likely to help me burn some stomach fat? Push-ups? Sit-ups? Jumping jacks? Leg lifts? I will say that I love boxing and UFC/MMA and would love to try to do some sort of Boxing/MMA training, but I don't have much extra money right now, and I wouldn't know which equipment to try to buy to even get started. I wanted to mention this, though, as I know that Boxing training is incredible for cardio and losing weight, and I thought that someone might be see this and mention an exercise, or some sort of equipment, that is related to Boxing/MMA that might be a good idea for me to look in to.

For the record, I am just trying to get some information, advice, ideas or suggestions that *might* be potentially helpful for me personally, with regards to losing some of my body/stomach fat. I am not saying that I am going to go out and start doing intense workouts and hard exercises immediately; because I am trying to be realistic; but I am saying that I am genuinely ready to lose some weight, to start getting rid of my fat stomach, and to start living healthier lifestyle!

Because I am genuinely tired of having a fat stomach/large gut, that not only embarrasses me, but that also gets in my way and causes lots of bothersome annoyances (like, my work shirt constantly shifting around and coming untucked, and having to keep my stomach suckled in for hours a day).

I apologize for writing such a lengthy post. I also have O.C.D. and it makes it very difficult for me to not do things excessively or overly-thoroughly. That's the main reason that I don't post more on these forums; even though, I would really like to be much more active on here than I actually am.

With that stated, I want to say that I would genuinely appreciate some helpful replies and any advice, information and suggestions that y'all might like to share with me about this thread topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
I think you already know the answers.

The diet soda has to go. Find a form of caffeine that doesn't pump you full of gas and wreak havoc with your blood sugar.

You need water. Learn to drink water.

Starting by walking 20 minutes or so each day is fairly easy. You can increase it as time goes by. It's good for your mental health, too, especially if you choose a place to walk that gives you something to look at. A park, by the ocean, and on the streets of NYC all work for me as walking places.

Start changing the bad diet with this ONE thing: at one each meal day, have a salad, either instead of or along with whatever else.

Start becoming aware of how much flour and sugar you are eating. That's a big contributor to the belly.

I don't eat meat anymore, either. Fish occasionally. If you try new vegetables, you will be amazed at how you can develop a taste for them.

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I'd recommend to either keep a food journal or use an app to track your eating. For someone with a completely dysfunctional diet it might help you to see what the problem is in black and white.

You'll also need to get better at planning, like scheduling time for workouts rather than waiting to see if you feel like it (hint: you probably won't) You also need to think about your meals more then 10 minutes before you're going to eat, and don't expect instant gratification from them.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:12 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Are you male or female?

Either way, you need to reduce fat overall. There's no magic exercise that will selectively decrease your gut. I'm 5'10, 41, and I used to weigh 221 (or maybe a little more, I can't remember). The fat fell everywhere, including my middle. I had rolls. The solution to that was cutting calories and working out. I started losing weight and sooner or later the gut disappeared as well.

You acknowledge that you have a crappy diet and you don't move. Well then you know what you need to do. To start can be as simple eating 200 less calories per day (i.e. eating one less item). Or prepare one home cooked meal instead of fast food. Or replacing one crappy food item with a healthier food item. Track your calorie intake to the T. Hit the street and take a walk and try and integrate physical activity into your life. I started out very slowly with exercise (one day per week) and over time, I increased the number of days.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:24 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
^Further to,what this poster said, use a calorie tracking app like My Fitness Pal. Start entering what you are eating. It's a rude awakening, lol, I can tell you, but it's a great toolas you begin to change.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:42 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
From what you have written, literally, any positive change will help.

BUT, you obviously KNOW what it takes, why haven't you done it?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-09-2017, 11:23 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
From what you have written, literally, any positive change will help.
Exactly, and it might also help to not try to overhaul your entire life all at once, nor to expect immediate results. You didn't develop bad habits and put on weight overnight, and it's not going to change overnight.

Start with one small thing you can do, like cut back on pop and increase water, or walk for 15 minutes at lunch. Then when that becomes a habit, add another positive change. You can do it, but you have to commit.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:25 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Start with one small thing you can do, like cut back on pop and increase water, or walk for 15 minutes at lunch. Then when that becomes a habit, add another positive change. You can do it, but you have to commit.

Yep! Pick the easiest one first...... maybe walking a half hour, or whatever you know will be the easiest to accomplish. Then keep going.

And forget about targeting one area, IMO that's the least of your concerns, first should be health.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-09-2017, 12:31 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,022 times
Find a new healthy meal once a week and from then on have it at least once a week, cutting out a crappy meal. At least reduce the soda.

Working out is great but you can't out exersize a bad diet. It's impossible.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Definitely start small, but with commitment. Weight loss is a long game, small steps are an essential component in winning at it.

Keep one thing in mind: Success breeds success; once you see progress you'll want to see more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss