Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:34 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times

Advertisements

I just read this article on NBCNEWS.COM: https://www.nbcnews.com/better/healt...-my-ncna790301

Here's a great excerpt from the article - "I learned that perfection is unattainable, but balance over time is certainly possible."

I hope you find this as interesting as I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:24 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,652,838 times
Yes! I did enjoy that well-written article. Not only did it contain good advice, but it was reasonable/doable advice. The piece resonated with me and I will incorporate some of the tips within my life.

I have a pesky ten pounds that have been stubborn and hard to lose. I'm at the top limit of what I allow myself to weigh, so it's time to take action before those 10 pounds balloon into a lot more.

Gym, here I come. No more generous dollops of mayo on my sandwiches. And no more second glass of wine with dinner. And pizza! OMG, I cannot eat just one slice, so time to banish that for a time, too.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:15 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yes! I did enjoy that well-written article. Not only did it contain good advice, but it was reasonable/doable advice. The piece resonated with me and I will incorporate some of the tips within my life.

I have a pesky ten pounds that have been stubborn and hard to lose. I'm at the top limit of what I allow myself to weigh, so it's time to take action before those 10 pounds balloon into a lot more.

Gym, here I come. No more generous dollops of mayo on my sandwiches. And no more second glass of wine with dinner. And pizza! OMG, I cannot eat just one slice, so time to banish that for a time, too.
I am with you. Ten pounds is the max. I am at my top end right now as well. I cannot exercise right now due to some frustrating health issues so I really have to back off on my calorie consumption. So no more wine for awhile.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am with you. Ten pounds is the max. I am at my top end right now as well. I cannot exercise right now due to some frustrating health issues so I really have to back off on my calorie consumption. So no more wine for awhile.
Yeah, that wine and other drinks have easy-to-forget calories., don't they? Last year I was on an antibiotic that prohibited alcohol and I dropped a couple of pounds while not drinking. Protein (whether animal or non-animal sourced) & veggies seem to be my best way to go...how about you?

Old 08-25-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yeah, that wine and other drinks have easy-to-forget calories., don't they? Last year I was on an antibiotic that prohibited alcohol and I dropped a couple of pounds while not drinking. Protein (whether animal or non-animal sourced) & veggies seem to be my best way to go...how about you?
I actually eat less meat and do more of a vegetarian diet. Lots of veggies, beans, avocado, whole grains like quinoa, farro, black rice, nuts and nut butters. If I do add meat its in pretty small portions.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I actually eat less meat and do more of a vegetarian diet. Lots of veggies, beans, avocado, whole grains like quinoa, farro, black rice, nuts and nut butters. If I do add meat its in pretty small portions.
El perfecto! You've achieved the perfection of diet/nutrition. I try to do this, too. Failed tonight. Had a cheeseburger. But the first meat all week so not too worried. And it was mega good.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 946 times
I think Swimming is the best option to reducing the fat. You can try swimming! It will help in reducing fat.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnessauclub View Post
I think Swimming is the best option to reducing the fat. You can try swimming! It will help in reducing fat.
Only if you eat at a calorie deficit. If you don't lower your caloric intake you can swim all you want and not an ounce will come off. In other words, you cannot out swim your fork.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:01 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times
Quote:
Only if you eat at a calorie deficit. If you don't lower your caloric intake you can swim all you want and not an ounce will come off. In other words, you cannot out swim your fork.
Keep saying it, wherever you go where people describe elaborate weight-loss programs and approaches, and maybe just maybe they'll get it.

It turns out you can lose weight sitting on your sofa at home while working through the entire Netflix catalog. But only if you consume fewer calories than you burn.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,229,422 times
Personally I found the article a little presumptuous and condescending....and really offering nothing new. The quote about perfection not being attainable is completely undermined by the rest of the article, which basically the same thing that every other article about weight says: that all overweight people are lazy and unhealthy and all they really have to do is just exercise more and they will be healthy.

It's true perfection isn't attainable...it's also true that attaining health is different for everyone. Some people have to work a lot harder than others, and some people who look healthy aren't. To presume we know what another person is doing or needs to do, just by looking at them or by looking a couple of their stats....well, that's the same story that every supermarket peddles in the checkout aisle. This author offers nothing new on that notion. If it were true, no one in the world would be unhealthy or overweight.

It's just depressing how as a society we can't seem to move beyond the notion that everyone needs to look the same. We just keep circling around the same idea, no matter how people try to repackage it--this one is just "I doesn't count as fat-shaming, if I used to be fat too".

Last edited by MarianRavenwood; 08-30-2017 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss