Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:25 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Plateau's are illusions, they aren't biological in nature.

The starvation theory has not been proven by any credible research; fat cells are not intelligent. The body will consume all available fat stores in the absence of newer, recently ingested energy. Honestly, if our bodies were smart enough to save fat for a better time, why wouldn't it also discharge excess fat once a threshold has been exceeded?

You are consuming more calories than your body burns and aren't generating a consistent calorie deficit. Forget worrying about the type of calories you consume for a few weeks and focus instead on keeping to a consistent daily budget. I used to plateau as well, and also couldn't lose weight because of my being older and having hypothyroidism and eating too many carbs. When I started keeping my intake to 1,500 calories per day all my excuses failed to hold up under scrutiny.

Keep to a fixed calorie budget that works for you (if you're a moderately active man, try 1,500 - 1,800, if you're a moderately active woman, try 1,200 - 1,500) and see what happens to the plateau.
False.

It's not about fat cells (or more importantly, endocrine cells) being "intelligent." It's about them having a biological feedback mechanism to which they respond. Numerous studies have shown there is in fact a hormonal response to caloric deficit that persists long after the caloric deficit has stopped. If you operate at a prolonged caloric deficit, you will slow down your metabolism and it will stay slowed down for a long time, studies have shown reduced T3, liptin, insulin, testosterone for over a year along with increased ghrelin and cortisol. Which makes perfect sense. There's apparently no homeostatic mechanism to quickly return hormone levels to their prior level and from a biological imperative, why would there be? Someone who has experienced prolonged caloric deficit is likely to experience prolonged caloric deficit in again in the future.

Beyond that, it's speculative. While not definitive, loosing weight slowly may cause less reduction. The effects are also not that large. You can simply power through them and the impact of slowed metabolism is ludicrously overstated. It's none the less real. Aside from losing weight gradually though, which may work or may not, there's no sense worrying about it though. You can do other things like exercise, get enough sleep for testosterone/cortisol balance and possibly eat better for T3 although that's more tentative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 05:00 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
I walk on the treadmill everday for 3 miles, eat 1200 calories a day. I never fell hungry. I have been at plateaus for 3 weeks wouldnt lose an ounce then suddenly i would lose a few ounces and then a few pounds quickly, then slow down. I just dont worry about it. I have lost 62 pounds in 6 months. I feel better than i have in years. I did gain alot of weight being on steroids for asthma, i was on steroids usually 4 times a year. But i finally am doing better with my asthma, i started taking herbs for my asthma rather than precriptions it has chnaged my life. I am not out of breath, not able to cross a room without feeling like i would pass out. I have 3 more pounds and i will be back to my normal weight before my asthma got out of control.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:32 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Change your diet for 2 weeks. It will shock your system. You're body has probably adjusted to your new diet. I was a perfect Atkins follower then plateau hit, I went to a south beach for a bit and it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss