Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 10:09 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I strongly believe what little food we eat should taste good, otherwise we will want to wreck the diet with something else. I also walk half an hour and drink half a gallon of water during the day.
I've subscribed to the calories in/calories out way of eating myself. This idea that salads are healthy and chips or crackers are not is largely in the head. The benefit to soft carbohydrates is they're much easier to chew properly and eat slowly which is good for digestion.

Plus if I'm going to splurge it's going to be on something good... that burger will come from Culvers, not McDonalds.

It should be noted to preserve gallbladder function you should always have one good fatty meal per day... never go so low in fat that you might cause bile to not be released at regular intervals.. zero fat diets will cause you gallstones and problems down the road.

Eat how a bodybuilder would eat.... count calories and reduce carbs to a certain ratio.. say 40% fat, 30% protein, 30% carbohydrate. Eat small meals. Chew food well. Don't eat less fat so you can eat more carbs.. that's a reciple for long term failure. However, eat enough carbs to keep your glycogen stores full. Focus on starch, not sugar, and avoid the fructose component of carbs if you're trying to lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 07:30 AM

6 posts, read 4,154 times
Wow. Thanks for the tip and thanks for sharing your experience. I will try the Nutrisystem with my students for sure.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:02 AM

282 posts, read 232,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I've subscribed to the calories in/calories out way of eating myself. This idea that salads are healthy and chips or crackers are not is largely in the head. The benefit to soft carbohydrates is they're much easier to chew properly and eat slowly which is good for digestion.

Plus if I'm going to splurge it's going to be on something good... that burger will come from Culvers, not McDonalds.

It should be noted to preserve gallbladder function you should always have one good fatty meal per day... never go so low in fat that you might cause bile to not be released at regular intervals.. zero fat diets will cause you gallstones and problems down the road.

Eat how a bodybuilder would eat.... count calories and reduce carbs to a certain ratio.. say 40% fat, 30% protein, 30% carbohydrate. Eat small meals. Chew food well. Don't eat less fat so you can eat more carbs.. that's a reciple for long term failure. However, eat enough carbs to keep your glycogen stores full. Focus on starch, not sugar, and avoid the fructose component of carbs if you're trying to lose weight.
Disagree with "eat how a bodybuilder would eat." If you're not excercising like a bodybuilder exercises, then you shouldn't eat the way one eats. Same if you're not in a similar state of health as a bodybuilder.

Also some bodybuilders eat crazy things. Some insist that raw eggs are important. So how about that, you say "eat like a bodybuilder" and the person reading your post starts doing it, and ends up in the hospital sick from salmonella.

Also avoiding salads in favor of chips and crackers, and end up with digestive problems due to insufficient fiber in their diet.

Calories in/calories out = weight loss but it doesn't = good nutrition. Nutrition is the combination of things you include in your calories. Weight loss = quantity. Health = quality.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Thanks for sharing Mike. I am considering this diet plan. I am glad to hear the food tastes pretty good.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:39 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
Congratulations, JustMike77!! Keep that momentum going!!!

Old 11-20-2017, 05:18 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,930,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I thought I would make a post about my experience with Nutrisystem. In February, I was 6' tall and weighed 223 pounds. At 64, the metabolism really slows down, so I was starting to lose hope. I'm Type 2 diabetic and during my January doctor visit he discussed adding to my diabetes meds. That was it! After watching about a zillion Marie Osmond ads, I ordered Nutrisystem. I went with the frozen plan because the food tastes better IMO. I started walking 30 minutes a day, drank the 64 oz of water they suggest and ate what they said to eat when they said to eat it. It was just like the ad says, "You eat the food, you lose the weight". Long story short, I am now at 189 pounds having lost 34 pounds. My A1C has gone from 8.1 in February to 7.1 in May to 6.5 yesterday. For the record, 6.4 is PRE-diabetic, so I'm on my way. I feel great and best of all, people I haven't seen in a while are amazed at how much better I look. The most important thing I have learned is portion control. I look back to the way I used to eat and all I can say is, "What the F was I thinking?" I could NEVER go back to eating like that again. So, for all of you here in the weight loss section of the forum who think that there is just no way, I'm here to tell you that there is a way. It worked great for me and it can work for you.
I am diabetic and my last A1c was 6.0 but it is a lot of hard work to get it there. My doctor wrote "Great Work!" on my report.

In two weeks I go for another A1c and I am scared. I feel I sort of slacked off because of the "Great Work!" comment so.... we shall see. Not only did I slack off the diet but haven't been near as active as early in the summer I broke my arm near my shoulder and for a month just sat there.

The highest A1c I've ever had was 8.9 when I discovered four years ago I was diabetic (got declined for a life insurance policy) and since then it has ranged from 6.0 to 6.8 and I don't like 6.8.

Now I need to lose some weight but at 69 it isn't as easy as it once was. 5'-9" tall and 215 lbs. I used to be 5'-10 1/2" but I've shrunk!

I am going to ask about a gluten free diet...

Old 11-21-2017, 02:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
A1C of 6.4 is full diabetic. Below a 5.7 is pre-diabetic. Doctors recommend diabetics get at or below 6.0.

Congrats on the weight loss. Regular calorie restricted diets may help you lose weight but are not optimal for diabetes. Carb restriction will help with that and I don't think that is part of Nutrisystem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss