Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:03 PM

88,056 posts, read 83,895,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Arthritis runs in my family. Mine was brought on at a younger age (40) due to obesity, I'm pretty certain. Same reason for my HBP. That runs in my family as well but had I not been overweight, I probably would have not been diagnosed before my sixties. Instead, I was put on medication in my early 40s. Two reasons why being overweight and sedentary is not an option. Both are life changing and/or life threatening conditions that have been managed using medication and in the case of the arthritis exercise. I wish I had gotten my act together before the health issues because I am burdened with these conditions for life, despite being in my best shape in years.
On the plus side, you probably have slowed down the progress of those conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 12:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,709,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Can you share with me your diet, Lilly? what do you eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner?
I saw my doctor today and I am very very low on vitamins B12 and D. he said I need v. B12 shots and we will reevaluate in a month to see if he decides to put me on thyroid meds. I am experiencing sudden energy crashes , weight gain, increased appetite, pain in my finger, puffy face.
It is a mix of symptoms of low thyroid and high thyroid function.
I don't want to be on thyroid medications. I hope it is just a vitamin deficiency.
I also asked him about my sugar cravings and whether I am developing insulin resistance, he mentioned that my blood sugar is low and I am not developing insulin resistance at all.
well, my body is a mess and I hope it can be fixed.
You might have Hashimoto’s if you are fluctuating. While being medicine dependent isn’t ideal, you may feel way better on them. I do. These are fairly unobtrusive.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM

582 posts, read 759,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You might have Hashimoto’s if you are fluctuating. While being medicine dependent isn’t ideal, you may feel way better on them. I do. These are fairly unobtrusive.
I don't want to be medicine dependent. I read somewhere that Hashimoto is the main cause of almost most of the thyroid cases. Do you think I can improve my thyroid functions with diet and exercise? Will it make any difference? I hate to be on meds for life.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:38 PM

48,302 posts, read 34,433,441 times
Quote:
I don't want to be medicine dependent. I read somewhere that Hashimoto is the main cause of almost most of the thyroid cases. Do you think I can improve my thyroid functions with diet and exercise? Will it make any difference? I hate to be on meds for life.
Nope, nothing but meds for this.

I have Hashi's (I collect autoimmune diseases ).

But I thought you said you don't and will not be, exercising?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,764,839 times
Quote:
For thyroid meds are a must. Its really not that big of a deal. I have been taking a tiny little pill for my Hashimoto's for most of my life.
Get to an endocrinologist and have a workup. If he thinks you need to be on meds take them. There are no alternatives for this.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,352,192 times
In my case I have no choice take meds or have a stroke. I take two low dose pills daily with no adverse effects.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nope, nothing but meds for this.

I have Hashi's (I collect autoimmune diseases ).

But I thought you said you don't and will not be, exercising?
well, if exercising will help, I am willing to start.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
In my case I have no choice take meds or have a stroke. I take two low dose pills daily with no adverse effects.
I don't mean to ask about any personal details but if you would be willing to elaborate, I would appreciate it.
I on a blood thinner med for life after having multiple clots. how is thyroid med prevents a stroke?

Thanks

Old 11-15-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
For thyroid meds are a must. Its really not that big of a deal. I have been taking a tiny little pill for my Hashimoto's for most of my life.
Get to an endocrinologist and have a workup. If he thinks you need to be on meds take them. There are no alternatives for this.
Thanks! I follow up with an endo and he is still hesitant to start me on thyroid med. His advice is to wait.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:53 AM

Thank you so much, guys for all your replies and support. In my heart, I know it is the thyroid. I gained weight and I feel down. My doctor doesn't want me on meds yet. I am taking vitamins supplements to help with the fatigue and exhaustion. I will see my doctor in about a month from now. In the meantime, any advice about how to control my weight would be much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss