Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:52 AM

244 posts, read 235,706 times

Advertisements

This documentary on Amazon was really informative. I highly recommend watching it. Has anyone tried a two or three week water fast? Did you see significant heath benefits? The medically supervised fasting clinics are few and far between in the USA and are as expensive as a premium hotel. If the benefits mentioned in the documentary are possible it might be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 10:14 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I haven't seen this documentary, but fasting is definitely worth looking at. Other cultures have benefitted from it. It runs opposite of today's message from the food industry of cramming your body full of junk, then going to see the doctors (only good for the food industry and health profession).

There are many types of fasts and fasting. A person could research them on their own, and not be dependent on clinics and stuff. This can be a DIY activity. No need to pay others, when you can instead educate yourself and put yourself in the driver's seat. This doesn't involve medicine, so it's good in that way too.

Cleansing and colemics are a related study, to help remove old food, residues, and toxins from the body.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
... A person could research them on their own, and not be dependent on clinics and stuff. This can be a DIY activity. No need to pay others, when you can instead educate yourself and put yourself in the driver's seat. This doesn't involve medicine, so it's good in that way too.
Well, that may be true of a heathy person but people using a fast to fix preexisting medical problems are probably already on some sort of medication and/or elderly on many medications. Encouraging people to attempt a fast “DYI” is kind of irresponsible not knowing each person’s specific medical situation.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
Well, that may be true of a heathy person but people using a fast to fix preexisting medical problems are probably already on some sort of medication and/or elderly on many medications. Encouraging people to attempt a fast “DYI” is kind of irresponsible not knowing each person’s specific medical situation.
It also depends on what sort of fast we are talking about. People with various ailments celebrate Ramadan every year. I doubt they call their doctors at the start of the season to check if it is OK.

I don't think many people would have ill-effects from a daily 12-14 hour fast. Many people do that on accident all the time.

When we start looking at fasts over 24 hours, then yes you should probably get aligned with your doctor.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:04 PM

The kind of fasts talked about in the documentary were water fasts from 14 to 40 days and reset the patients immune system, helped with psoriasis, inflammation, cancer, type II diabetes and a variety of other serious illnesses. Obviously fasting for 12 hours is not much of a problem unless you are shooting up insulin. Most people wouldn’t consider a fast measured in hours as much of a fast or terribly beneficial.

I highly recommend watching it.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
The kind of fasts talked about in the documentary were water fasts from 14 to 40 days and reset the patients immune system, helped with psoriasis, inflammation, cancer, type II diabetes and a variety of other serious illnesses. Obviously fasting for 12 hours is not much of a problem unless you are shooting up insulin. Most people wouldn’t consider a fast measured in hours as much of a fast or terribly beneficial.

My cousin has been doing intermittent fasting this year. Mostly 16 hours of fasting, 8 hours of eating. With some occasional 24-36 hour fasts mixed in (maybe once a month). It has helped her lose weight and improve her body composition. It seems like fasts, in all forms can have great benefits.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:34 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:

I watched it a couple of weeks ago. I agree, it was fascinating! I thought it was so interesting that so many other countries have actual fasting clinics. Would that help the US bring down healthcare costs?

I have been doing intermittent fasting for a year and a half, that's no big deal. I also have done 3-4 day fasts with just water and black coffee. Really made me feel great and refreshed.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:45 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
My chief concern about fasting is its effect on my workouts. I need calories to work out, I absolutely bomb if I don't have enough nutrition. Technically I "fast" when I stop eating at 9 pm and don't eat until 10 a.m. - that's the absolute max I can go with no food and I am not active during that period. when I AM active, I would probably throw up with no food intake before and after a workout

Old 11-07-2017, 08:48 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...sing-lifespan/

In pursuit of healthy aging

Harvard study shows how intermittent fasting and manipulating mitochondrial networks may increase lifespan

Last edited by KaraG; 11-07-2017 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 12-07-2017, 03:11 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I did a three-day fast recently, with all the hopes of it helping me (especially in the area of cleansing the body). I took supplements to continue nutrition - to a certain extent - during the period too. I found the fast to be a negative though. It caused me to lose mass in my arms (definitely not what I wanted), making me look skinny. It also threw off my digestive system and normal body cycles (elimination, etc.)

Fasting might be good for some, but I do not recommend it (unless trying to remove significant weight).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss