Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:42 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Replace "overly processed food" with the same overly processed food? I mean, probably higher quality but cheese is cheese is cheese. I mean, string cheese just a combination of mozzarella and cheddar generally. You'd get better quality cheese, which mostly means better tasting and not more nutritious, if you bought fresh mozzarella and cheddar.

More processed food.

And even more processed food.

I mean, personally I have no issue with processed food. It's about making reasonable choices, which those aren't really that bad. There's nothing inherently unhealthy about processed food (as demonstrated). You could do better with fresh salmon instead of canned tuna, of course, but processed canned tuna isn't bad other than the high sodium in most of it and mercury if you're eating a ton of it which doesn't have anything to do with the processing.
I don't think the OP can afford a lot - thats just my guess, she works in a fast food place. I doubt salmon, good cheese, lean proteins will be on her menu. She has to make do with what she can afford. And also be reasonable about preparations of the foods she chooses.
She would do herself a world of good by buying a book on nutrition and a book that shows ways to navigate the tricky world of prepared foods. There are a lot out there and she can get some good ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 09:48 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I don't think the OP can afford a lot - thats just my guess, she works in a fast food place. I doubt salmon, good cheese, lean proteins will be on her menu. She has to make do with what she can afford. And also be reasonable about preparations of the foods she chooses.
She would do herself a world of good by buying a book on nutrition and a book that shows ways to navigate the tricky world of prepared foods. There are a lot out there and she can get some good ideas.

Plus I think it is complicated by the fact that I don't think there were a lot of healthy home cooked meals in her childhood.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-29-2017, 10:53 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Plus I think it is complicated by the fact that I don't think there were a lot of healthy home cooked meals in her childhood.
Unfortunately I think a lot of people fall into that category. If you are not brought up with home cooked meals that are nutritious you really don't know any better. With fast foods joints practically giving away their horrid fare and people working a lot, families opt out of cooking good food.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:15 AM

282 posts, read 232,790 times
Quote:
The stores have bagged rice and quinoa mix premade and you pop it in the microwave.

Use some of the rotisserie chicken, mix with rice, add cilantro and spinach and siraccha (add any veggies you have).
There's a new ketchup flavor, can't remember if it's by Heinz or someone else - it's curry-flavored ketchup.

Cut up some chunks of chicken, buy some single-serve microwave basmati rice, toss the chicken on top, and add a tablespoon of the curry-flavored ketchup.

Dirt-cheap, not-really-authentic-but not bad tasting almost-instant chicken curry with rice lunch!

Old 12-01-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
We grew up with TV dinners, tuna casserole, turkey and pea with cream of mushroom soup casserole, and frozen fish sticks. We also sometimes had brisket. Basically -we ate very inexpensive, very filling, mostly non-wholesome foods. And yet mom managed to teach us how to cook, we helped her cook several times a year, and my sister ended up doing catering for a period of time while I'm the unofficial-official pastry/dessert baker in the family.

I eat a lot of take-out meals because I work all week and don't want to work even more when I get home from work. But I know -how- to cook and enjoy it when I have time, plus I cook once a week in bulk so we have Sunday dinner with enough leftovers to last for 3 days worth of lunch.

There's no reason why people "can't" eat well, if they have a place to prepare, store, microwave food, even if they're on a very tight college-student budget (which sounds like the OP's situation, thus no range or oven and a tiny refrigerator).

Old 12-01-2017, 10:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
There's a new ketchup flavor, can't remember if it's by Heinz or someone else - it's curry-flavored ketchup.

Cut up some chunks of chicken, buy some single-serve microwave basmati rice, toss the chicken on top, and add a tablespoon of the curry-flavored ketchup.

Dirt-cheap, not-really-authentic-but not bad tasting almost-instant chicken curry with rice lunch!
I like the curry ketchup on fries but that sounds so wrong. I can’t imagine eating that with some rice. Wrong flavor balance for the “curry.” It would be better to keep some Thai curry paste on hand.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I like the curry ketchup on fries but that sounds so wrong. I can’t imagine eating that with some rice. Wrong flavor balance for the “curry.” It would be better to keep some Thai curry paste on hand.
It really isn't all that bad if you only use a small amount. it's not exactly "good" but compared to eating Whopper Juniors 5 days a week, it's a good few steps closer to a gourmet meal

Old 12-03-2017, 02:15 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
no drinking problem... i just do it occasionally to get a buzz. i'm just in my room and i end up drinking the whole thing. but it's only like 5 percent alcohol. it's easy to drink the whole thing when theres only four glasses worth of wine in it. that i drink throughout a six hour time.
You're gonna have to start doing like myself and not have alcohol in the house. If its there, you will drink it. Same for anything you really like. Make yourself have to travel for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Stop eating bread, any kind of pasta. You'll be surprised how much weight will come off.
All bread is not created equal. Big difference between fiberous wheat and straight up white bread. And between sandwichs, tortillas, pankackes, ect......pretty hard to give that up altogether.

[quote=LittleDolphin;50222906]
Quote:
Sometimes I'm busy and all I have is a slice of pizza... for the whole day.[/QUOTE

And that's not good. Messes up your metabolism. Get some quality power bars. cheese cubes, nuts, etc. and eat them during the day to keep your blood sugar in balance...your body may revert to starvation mode with one slice of pizza all day -- and hold onto fat to keep you alive...
That whole "body into starvation mode" is overdone. When I'm not eating much, my weight goes down, period. Same for most people. How do explain Christian Bale in the MACHINIST. He was eating like 600 calories a day. Didn't look like he was holding onto much fat to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Weight loss isn't about eating better. It's about eating less. Eating better can help you eat less but it's highly personal. Some people do better eating high fat, moderate protein, low carb (aka keto or fake keto), other people do better eating more balanced.

Walking burns really almost no calories. There's the "100 calories per mile" nonsense, but that's total calories --

Running is slightly better both in that it's less efficient, better exercise, and faster so you can do more miles. In a 30 minute jog at an 8 minute mile pace, a reasonable pace for an average healthy person to work towards, would mean 3.75 miles x .63 calories per pound x weight..
I would agree with the bit about walking. To me thats used too much by people who don't want to do anything more rigourous blaming time, ect.....Walking is for people who CAN'T run.

OP, you eat pretty bad. Even on a shoestring budget, just start making subtle changes...
wheat bread instead of white; grilled chicken instead of fried; diet soda/Gatorade, ect.... instead of the regular sugary version.
Also, avoid red meat as much as possible. Goes right to the gut and stays in the body like 72 hours.

If you have one, get yourself a Foreman grill. Even without a fridge or kitchen, you can hook yourself up a healthy meal/snack within 10minutes

Old 12-04-2017, 12:03 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,444 times
Well I gave up alcohol. I still have a bottle of the pink champagne I like but I'm saving some for Christmas eve or Christmas just to celebrate. But currently I haven't had any in a week though I have had pizza... lol oh well I'm still doing better with eating than I was.

Can anyone hep me come up with a meal plan? I was going to do breakfast and then a combined lunch/dinner since eating two meals a day is easier on me. For breakfast I was thinking a bagel with cream cheese or is that too unhealthy? I'm trying to keep it low carb but if a bagel is the only carb I eat all day then thats not bad, right? Or a bagel with egg cheese and turkey?

Old 12-04-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Well I gave up alcohol. I still have a bottle of the pink champagne I like but I'm saving some for Christmas eve or Christmas just to celebrate. But currently I haven't had any in a week though I have had pizza... lol oh well I'm still doing better with eating than I was.

Can anyone hep me come up with a meal plan? I was going to do breakfast and then a combined lunch/dinner since eating two meals a day is easier on me. For breakfast I was thinking a bagel with cream cheese or is that too unhealthy? I'm trying to keep it low carb but if a bagel is the only carb I eat all day then thats not bad, right? Or a bagel with egg cheese and turkey?
Carbs are a huge category. Starch isn't the only carb. And bread isn't the only starch.

I suggest you learn something about nutrition because you're still making poor choices, even with your question asking if a bagel with cream cheese is acceptable. It tells us that none of this really *means* anything to you.

Learn about nutrition, until it actually means something to you. Once you do that, you'll be able to get a better grip on your own healthy (and unhealthy) choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss