Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 07:31 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times

Advertisements

I really don't have time to cook with my busy retail pharmacy job (that constantly changes my work schedule) and also don't know how to cook beyond using a microwave, but I think I'll be safe if I just eat fast food salads every meal. Burger King has tasty salads, and without the dressing, I can eat 3 of those per day without exceeding 1500 calories per day. The problem with that is I still feel hungry, even though I'm pretty sure that is a calorie deficit (for a male) of about 500 calories. My goal is to lose 40 pounds by May 2018, so I'll only be 170 pounds and thus thin enough to get in the Navy. When doing the fitness test for Navy, I can't do a real push up, can only do about 20 situps before muscle failure, and though I can walk slowly indefinitely, if I run more than 5 seconds at a time, it feels like my heart is going to explode.

So my question, which is really 2 questions, is how do I start seriously exercising to be able to pass Navy fitness requirements, and is 1500 calories enough of a deficit for a 5'9" 210 lb man to lose 40 pounds in 5 months?

I'd love a trainer, but it's out of my price range, so I'm relying on the internet and youtube.

Last edited by Magic Qwan; 12-05-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:47 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
This isn't that hard to do. Exercise is beneficial for building strength, endurance and muscle tone, not so much for losing weight. It's not gonna help you lose but it will help you get into physical shape.

For weight loss you simply reduce your carb intake and overall calorie intake.

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ this calc will set you up.

Its tough to do it eating fast food, even fast food salad.

Look up keto diet and keto recipes. Some are very easy.

They have low carb flat bread, tortillas. You can surely handle making sandwiches, tacos, fajitas and such at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboBEZdE6g8 This is a basic very easy recipe and a video to show you how to do it. You can take this recipe and change the meat and seasoning add some onions and peppers and its a taco casserole. There are a number of these recipes on youtube where you can cook and portion out your whole weeks meals in just a few hours.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
This isn't that hard to do. Exercise is beneficial for building strength, endurance and muscle tone, not so much for losing weight. It's not gonna help you lose but it will help you get into physical shape.

For weight loss you simply reduce your carb intake and overall calorie intake.

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ this calc will set you up.

Its tough to do it eating fast food, even fast food salad.

Look up keto diet and keto recipes. Some are very easy.

They have low carb flat bread, tortillas. You can surely handle making sandwiches, tacos, fajitas and such at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboBEZdE6g8 This is a basic very easy recipe and a video to show you how to do it. You can take this recipe and change the meat and seasoning add some onions and peppers and its a taco casserole. There are a number of these recipes on youtube where you can cook and portion out your whole weeks meals in just a few hours.
That sounds way easier. I just need to do it. I'll update you in a couple of weeks.

I watched the video, and you gave me exactly what I needed for the diet part of the question. 1.41 per serving is crazy cheap. My previous goto was a bean burrito fresco style from taco bell with an unsweet tea for my cheapest "healthy" meal.

Now, when he talks about "macros" what are those?

Last edited by Magic Qwan; 12-05-2017 at 08:26 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 09:06 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
I do not recommend Keto since it will be hard to control when you are in the Navy. I would suggest on your days off you shop, prepare and cook. Focus on lean proteins, veggies, whole grains, and healthy fats. And ditch all drinks except water. You can figure out time maintenance, its not that hard. You can prewash vegetables, make hard boiled eggs, pack a PB&J sandwich on whole grain bread. You can precook chicken breasts, or any other protein.
Skip fast food completely if you can. Those salads you are eating are not that great for you. Plus they are more calories than you think.
Get the Couch to 5k app and do it. Sign on to my fitness pal or spark people and log every single thing you eat.
You need to be committed and you cannot make excuses.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I do not recommend Keto since it will be hard to control when you are in the Navy. I would suggest on your days off you shop, prepare and cook. Focus on lean proteins, veggies, whole grains, and healthy fats. And ditch all drinks except water. You can figure out time maintenance, its not that hard. You can prewash vegetables, make hard boiled eggs, pack a PB&J sandwich on whole grain bread. You can precook chicken breasts, or any other protein.
Skip fast food completely if you can. Those salads you are eating are not that great for you. Plus they are more calories than you think.
Get the Couch to 5k app and do it. Sign on to my fitness pal or spark people and log every single thing you eat.
You need to be committed and you cannot make excuses.
I've been repeating day one every day for a week now. Walking is too easy, but running is too hard. I need something in the middle, I think?

Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Ditto couch to 5K.

Recommended plan for sit-ups/crunches is five to ten cycles of the superset:
Regular pushups - 10 - Regular situps - 10 - Wide pushups - 10 - Reverse Crunches - 10 - Close or Tricep pushups - 10 - Double crunches - 10
https://www.military.com/military-fi...s-workout-plan

If you can't do a regular push-up, get on your knees and do modified. If you can't do ten, do five. The point is to fail. Do as much as you can until failure and then modify to make it easier and fail again. If you can get through ten cycles, then do more cycles or make it harder so you fail. Then modify and make it easier and fail again. It's old school no pain, no gain mentality but if you're someone who really thinks your heart is about to explode after five seconds of running, it's exactly what you need. It's party that you are out of shape but it's also that you're mentally weak. I don't mean that in a demeaning way. I spent years doing Tabata intervals which is basically the same thing. You're not ready for that with running. If you tried you'd almost certainly injure yourself. Do something like couch to 5K with gradually eases you in.

On the flipside you get to the opposite. I started playing pickup soccer games after a few years of eating bad, drinking too much, and not exercising beyond lifting weights and going on a short group ride every other week. My mental conditioning was so much higher than my physical conditioning I spent half the time tripping over my legs. Sort of like those triathletes or marathon runners you see collapse into a spasming puddle during events, it's a really weird feeling after you've spent years pushing your mental envelope having your physical ability be the limiting factor long before you even come close to thinking your pushing yourself.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I've been repeating day one every day for a week now. Walking is too easy, but running is too hard. I need something in the middle, I think?
That's what Couch to 5K is:
https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pag...o-5k-plan.aspx

You don't want it to be very difficult, the goal is moderately difficult. Simple test is talking. If you can hold a normal conversation while doing it, it's not hard enough. Tailor the program to make it harder by going faster by running more and walking less. If you can barely gasp out a single word, it's too hard. Slow down or walk more. If it's somewhere in between stick with the plan. It's supposed to be gradual. The running is a slow run or jog, not a sprint.

Another option is find an incline or stairs. Football stadiums work for that. Walk briskly along the track, when your heart rate gets low go up and down the bleachers to get it up, then go walk on the track, then back to the bleachers.

Last edited by Malloric; 12-05-2017 at 09:55 PM..

Old 12-06-2017, 02:54 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Now, when he talks about "macros" what are those?
Macros meaning carbs, protein & fat

I do recommend doing the keto diet. Its not really diet in the usual sense, its more of a lifestyle change.

Once you reach your target weight, you can increase your carb intake so long as you keep your overall calorie intake in check.

Once your in the Navy its not going to be hard to keep it up. Just avoid the sugary drinks, and cut back the carbs on the meals you can. I was in the navy so I can speak from experience that for most meals there will be options enough to avoid carbs for many meals. You won't be able to maintain a strict low carb diet but like I said, you really won't need to.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:02 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Have you signed your paperwork and doing Delayed Entry? If so, many recruiters hold PT sessions for incoming recruits so you might want to explore that.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Have you signed your paperwork and doing Delayed Entry? If so, many recruiters hold PT sessions for incoming recruits so you might want to explore that.
I didn't know that was offered. I'll be sure and ask my recruiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss