Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 12:14 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,783,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
I just recently lost over 60 pounds over a period of 6 months.

If youre interested, this is how I did it:

(1) I cut out all carbohydrates, starches, and sugars. That means, no sweets. No sweet drinks, no rice, no pasta, and no desserts.

(2) I ate greens ( kale, collards, mustards, or turnips) exclusively for at least 4 days of the week.

(3) I ate only once per day everyday except on Sundays (my most inactive day). On Sundays I fasted.

(4) On 2 days of each week I had only had fish and salad.

On Sundays I would drink green tea and perhaps have a "few" Sunflower seeds, if hunger pangs erupted.

BTW:

I now weigh 199 lbs!

Not too bad for a 5' 10" guy!
Congrats on your loss. Now the trick is to keep it off. You lost a lot of weight very quickly with what seems a fairly extreme diet. What are your plans to maintain the loss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 12:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,884,325 times
Quote:
That's where I'm headed. Right now I'm a Pescatarian. However, I've been reading some Collen Patrick-Goudreau for Vegan inspiration and I think I'm almost there!
Whatever causes you to go vegan is fine with me. Another way to stay on tract-- it is very easy to justify returning to old habits--is to subscribe to a bunch of animal rights pages on Facebook. The photos or videos of animals suffering and the truly nasty graphics of meat, will prohibit any eating of the stuff. We really don't need it, anyway. This video of a talk by Gary Yourofski also helps:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4

Gary is my hero; a brave, decent man. He went to prison in Canada for breaking into a fur farm (where animals are electrocuted anally so the fur is not damaged, the bastards).

Old 12-16-2017, 01:08 PM

1,704 posts, read 745,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Congrats on your loss. Now the trick is to keep it off. You lost a lot of weight very quickly with what seems a fairly extreme diet. What are your plans to maintain the loss?
Thanks!😄

I will continue to cut out the carbs, eat only once per day, fast 2 days per month, swim 2 days of the at the Y, and continue my cycling routine from back in 2013.

In 2013 I cycled all over the Bay Area with only the partial assistance of BART...

Old 12-16-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Whatever causes you to go vegan is fine with me. Another way to stay on tract-- it is very easy to justify returning to old habits--is to subscribe to a bunch of animal rights pages on Facebook. The photos or videos of animals suffering and the truly nasty graphics of meat, will prohibit any eating of the stuff. We really don't need it, anyway. This video of a talk by Gary Yourofski also helps:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4

Gary is my hero; a brave, decent man. He went to prison in Canada for breaking into a fur farm (where animals are electrocuted anally so the fur is not damaged, the bastards).
Thanks for the very inspirational video, Kara!

I think Gary has a brand new fan!😄

Old 12-16-2017, 01:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,884,325 times
Quote:
Thanks for the very inspirational video, Kara!

I think Gary has a brand new fan!😄
Yeah, I love the guy. Not romantically, of course: Agape, not eros. But he's very approachable.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:08 PM

I'm still continuing with my diet. I now weigh 184 lbs!

Absolutely no carbs! That's no sugar WSE! No potatoes, rice, pasta, or bread!

Just greens (collards, mustard&turnips, or kale...) That's 4 days per week and one meal per day (all I can consume).

Twice per week, I'll have fish (mostly salmon) and salad (iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, and onions). I always fast on Sundays!

This diet is wonderful!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:21 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,783,867 times
Quote:

Just greens (collards, mustard&turnips, or kale...) That's 4 days per week and one meal per day (all I can consume).

Twice per week, I'll have fish (mostly salmon) and salad (iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, and onions). I always fast on Sundays!

This diet is wonderful!
Congrats on your loss. Sounds like you found your groove.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:21 AM

9,806 posts, read 7,623,641 times
Quote:

This diet is wonderful!
Love it, good for you!!! And I vote for not giving up the seafood. There are so many benefits to that salmon, I'm trying to eat more.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Love it, good for you!!! And I vote for not giving up the seafood. There are so many benefits to that salmon, I'm trying to eat more.
I always have to diligently research my salmon sources. I don't want to patronize or promote toxic, unsafe, or environmentally unfriendly aquaculture.

That's the reason I usually find Aldis MSC approved "Wild Caught Salmon" a convenient resource.

Therefore, no preservatives, antibiotics, carbon monoxide, tripolyphosphates, and no carcinogens to contemplate.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:53 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,109,418 times
Quote:

This diet is wonderful!
There are none so zealous as the recently converted.

...which includes me, as my journey began 22 days ago, under a Dr.'s supervision. It is not dissimilar to all you describe, which in-turn is what they ALL describe. Of course. There is no magic bullet I know of, studying this matter the past fourteen years or so casually, but yet not following the path properly (hence the need to go on "a program" 22 days ago). This time, I solicited a Dr. and clinic...I call her, with affection, the Fat Farm...to help guide me.

I'm down 20 lbs in three weeks, which per their measurements is "mostly water" at first, but will taper a bit into fat loss too, albeit at a slower rate. I do a bit of offhand calorie counting, which isn't hard because I'm not eating anything terribly complicated. It's mostly what you mention, OP. Toss in some exercise, it's been a fun few weeks. Nothing too extreme, just feeling born-again.

The "fasting" thing, I have a good friend who swears by it. Beyond scope of this thread. I'll stay open-minded on it, he has obvious results so something's up there. And you have results too.

You're doing well, and want to tell the world, and I'm happy for you, one zealot to the next, though it will take me awhile to hit 199 and then lower. Dr. wants me at 190 or so, I'm a solid lug of a dense man at 5'11" and built like the pugnacious Irishman ogre that I am at-heart.

So good for you. At 50, I thought would be tougher for me; maybe, maybe not. At 65, I'm a bit impressed for you. (We) need to conserve that testosterone, too, after all.

Good luck on your goals, and mine for that matter! Figure will take me about six months to a year to hit mine. That's fine, the food and lifestyle are enjoyable, it isn't my first rodeo (second, in 14 years) and I'm being aided by Qsymia, which actually works as a long-term apatite suppressant for us fat folk. Say what we will about popping pills, which I generally dislike, so we'll see about the long, LONG term future of that for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss