U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2017, 11:39 AM

104 posts, read 77,447 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm senmurv. Not really seeking advice, just wanted to share my story.

I'm a non-traditional (read: old) college student. I am getting good grades but am CONSTANTLY under stress to keep them up. I'm not as quick-witted as I once was, and I really have to study a lot now in order to keep up with upper-level courses. That constant stress, plus the fact that I am at school all day from early morning until the evening, has contributed to my massive weight gain.

Due to constant school stress and a lot of ice cream, I am now about 200 pounds overweight. I have to wear slip-on shoes because I can't reach my right foot to put a shoe on. I won't even go into what I have to do to clean myself after using the bathroom. I feel like I'm imprisoned in a huge suit of lead and I can't take it any more. Although internally I'm quite healthy, with no sign of heart disease or diabetes, my knees/feet/back are always killing me.

It doesn't help that at my school's student union there is a lot of junk food available. I normally don't eat much junk, but when I've not had time to make my own lunch and I'm stressed out and hungry, that's where I end up. Mostly though my comfort food has been ice cream. It feels like there is so much stress in my life that I would go nuts if I didn't have SOME source of comfort.

My weight has gone up and down over the years, although since puberty I've always been overweight to some degree. In times past, I could get my weight down by doing a lot of walking. A couple of years ago I spent about nine months walking two hours every single day - and I lost a lot of weight. BUT: we had a horrible summer this year, and no A/C at home, so I spent most of it prostrated because I have zero tolerance for heat. Cold doesn't bother me, but heat drains all my energy. I spent three months basically doing nothing and then when the fall semester started and the weather cooled down, I had no time to exercise because I had to be at school all day, almost every day. On the weekends I slept as much as I could in order to try to recover from the stress of the week and having to get up early every weekday (naturally, I'm a night owl, so having to follow a lark schedule was even MORE stress.)

I have a year and a half of school left, so that stress isn't going away soon.

However, we have a month off during Christmas break, the weather is nice and cold, and I am determined to start walking again even though I can only do it slowly and it hurts. I've tried other exercises, I've tried taking exercise classes at my university, but I can't keep up with those young kids. Walking is really the only thing I can do, so even though my knees are not thanking me, I've begun to go out early every morning.

At first I couldn't go a quarter of a mile without needing to sit down. But now, even though it's been less than a week, I am able to go for about 3 miles, though very slowly and I'm very tired and hurting when I get back home. My goal is to get up to being able to walk for two hours in one day again, and then maybe start walking to my university every morning and home every night. I live about a 45 minute walk away from it.

Anyway, this is just something I felt like writing down after I came back from this morning's walk. I did both the way out and the way back fairly easily today, and am feeling more hopeful about being able to do this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 11:44 AM

22,418 posts, read 20,257,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senmurv View Post
But now, even though it's been less than a week, I am able to go for about 3 miles, though very slowly... I did both the way out and the way back fairly easily today, and am feeling more hopeful about being able to do this.
It's great that you're out there walking again - keep it up!

Old 12-26-2017, 12:00 PM

104 posts, read 77,447 times
Thanks. Just putting one foot in front of the other, one day at a time.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:11 PM

1,500 posts, read 755,513 times
That is awesome that you are doing 3 miles now in less than a week!

An idea - maybe you can use the walking time to do rote memorization for some of your subjects. When I was studying for my Network Security certification, I would use my jogging time to memorize ports. I would get a song in my head and use 3 port names as the words to the song and have those 3 ports memorized when I got done. By the time I got 5 runs in I would have 15 port names memorized (same for cryptography). When I studied for the PMP I would draw up a colorful ITTO chart for a knowledge area and bring it into the gym to memorize ITTOs between sets. I memorized 415 ITTOS by doing it that way. Studies have shown that you can learn faster by exercising and learning at the same time. It could be a way to relieve that stress, lose weight, get in shape and learn at the same time!

Old 12-26-2017, 02:35 PM

12,631 posts, read 12,768,439 times
That's how you do it - one day at a time. That's how I did it. My road to activity was a slow one, but eventually I worked my way to where I am now. The goals I met physically enabled me to get control of the diet aspect of weight loss. I would NEVER have straightened my diet if I didn't exercise. As you already know, you are on the right track with the activity, but you must confront the demon that is stress eating. That is a mental (and in turn physical) challenge that you will have to get under control. I used to stress eat on occasion, but that wasn't my real demon. My demon was bingeing, which was brought on by a number of things not necessarily stress in my life. You have dodged a bullet with the health issues and you realize this. You also need to realize that you have no margin for error. You need to stick on course and lose weight or you might not be as lucky and end up with chronic conditions. I have hypertension - and while that doesn't send chills down people's spines, it is serious - and I would not have had that had I not been overweight (family history helped too).

I used to be over 221 lbs. I was obese. but this is how I look now. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was I. But I stuck to my goals and they were achieved. I am in control for the first time in years. I believe that YOU can do it. just like you are trying to achieve your educational goals, you can do it with your weight loss goals.
Attached Thumbnails
My story about being fat (longish).-skirt.jpg  

Old 01-27-2018, 05:11 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,695,195 times
Good job getting started! One step at a time, one day at a time. You can do it.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:09 AM

3,462 posts, read 5,668,576 times
senmurv, how's it going? Are you still able to keep up the walking in January?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss