U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 08:34 AM

11,555 posts, read 7,556,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would say it benefits everyone to remove wheat from your diet, not just those with celiac.
Why is that, I wonder? I'm 48 years old and still weigh the same as when I was 21, which is 125 lbs, so weight is not an issue for me. I don't experience bloating, foggy brain, sore joints (well, if I hike for 6 hours I may be a bit sore afterwards...), troubled skin, or anything else mentioned above. What would cutting out wheat do for me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 10:43 AM

23,354 posts, read 40,468,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I agree and absorbed the books in recent years on wheat belly, grain brains etc. I so enjoy my gluten free crackers and make little sandwiches with them, piece of meat, raw onion and when I don't use the crackers I use romaine lettuce leaves. There are so many delightful gluten free crackers I've found, but watch the carb intake.
That is the case. Most gluten-free foods are junk foods that have high calorie and carbohydrate count so I have to limit those quite a bit, or I will gain weight again. In fact I probably have to lose 15-20 pounds right now, too many gluten-free foods over the holidays.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:22 AM

25,643 posts, read 18,742,612 times
I've had good results after removing almost all wheat from my diet.
I used to suffer from IBS quite regularly - no more.
Also, no more bloating and no more brain "fuzz."

Also finally got to my goal weight after being stuck at the same weight for a really long time.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:55 AM

12,620 posts, read 12,752,954 times
The only time I experience this bloating you speak of is when I overconsume. When I eat normally, I don't experience any bloating at all other than time of the month.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:00 AM

3,577 posts, read 5,983,803 times
Removing wheat from a diet has benefits insofar that as a result, you're also likely removing loads of empty calories. The benefits as relates to wheat itself is probably incidental. I've researched the heck out of this and there is zero scientific evidence that gluten-free diets positively impact anyone other than those with Celiac disease. This is kind of like an updated version of the fat-free insanity from 20-30 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
My only carb sources the last month and a half have been veggies and fruit and trace amounts in sauces and seasonings and I feel great , my intestines feel empty and healthy and I'm not bloated or sluggish plenty of energy and I am leaning out quite a bit
I'm sorry, your "intestines feel empty"? Like, as in after a bowel movement? Or like, as in someone let air out of a balloon? That seems like such a strange condition.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 7,856,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Removing wheat from a diet has benefits insofar that as a result, you're also likely removing loads of empty calories. The benefits as relates to wheat itself is probably incidental. I've researched the heck out of this and there is zero scientific evidence that gluten-free diets positively impact anyone other than those with Celiac disease. This is kind of like an updated version of the fat-free insanity from 20-30 years ago.
What is amusing about the whole wheat is evil movement is that Europe did not get the memo, especially France and Italy who love their breads and pasta. They seem no worse for wear because of it either.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:34 PM

29,096 posts, read 13,002,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
What is amusing about the whole wheat is evil movement is that Europe did not get the memo, especially France and Italy who love their breads and pasta. They seem no worse for wear because of it either.
Do we really know the health issues due to wheat consumption of France and Italy?

Old 01-24-2018, 01:47 PM

134 posts, read 65,645 times
Like many of us, I am addicted to carbohydrates. What that means is, when I eat carbs, it sets in motion my need to eat more carbs. I crave that euphoric feeling that carbs give me....a happy, relaxed state of mind. But because carbohydrates are addictive, the more I eat, the more weight I gain. So, I have given up wheat, corn, and potatoes. (Rice doesn't seem to trigger the need to eat more carbohydrates) The changes that I noticed are: No more acid reflux, even though I still drink coffee. No more loose bowels. No more waking up hungry. The problems that I noticed are: social dining...how to find restaurants where meals are not based on bread, pasta, corn, or potatoes.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:26 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,025,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I read this entire thread, chuckling. THIS 100%. Italy actually boasts one of the lowest adult obesity rates in the world and a longer average life expectancy than the US (almost 5 years longer.) They fall median in overall cancer rates. The government there also actually realizes Celiac is a serious concern and requires every citizen to be tested by the age of 7. Anyone diagnosed gets a government stipend and the foods are sold in pharmacies.

I DO have Celiac Disease and have been diagnosed for close to 5 years. I'm willing to bet that most of you who are cutting out wheat--or, more specifically gluten-- are still not actually cutting out ALL of it. It's in way more than you realize. I have to be careful with medication, beauty products, makeup, EVERYTHING. It's a PITA. I have always been athletic and worked out. While I will recognize that some people who do not have Celiac Disease, but have other immune issues (IBS, Crohn's), for weight loss, it's totally a fad.

ETA--I LOVE my jasmine rice and potatoes. At the end of the day, it's calories in and calories out.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:17 PM

24,272 posts, read 23,786,450 times
If you don't have celiac and yet you feel better off wheat, you could have an actual allergy to wheat itself. That could cause bloating and brain fog or other symptoms. Wheat is such a commonplace food that people often become allergic to it. In Asia, where rice is the principle grain, I've read that rice is usually the big allergen, not wheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss