U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 11:21 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,552,884 times

Advertisements

I just don’t have the willpower to cut them out completely. I was just hoping to be inspired by someone else’s ability to use them moderately. I eat them daily but try to cut back on the amount I eat. Is it ok to eat them everyday as long as it is in small quantities?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 12:41 AM

207 posts, read 177,423 times
I guess it depends on what you mean by small quantities. I got to my goal weight using Weight Watchers which does not forbid sweets. I do have some. I also count my calories using MyFitnessPal. Basically I aim to eat no more than an average of 25g of sugar each day. (Note this is both natural and added sugar). I occasionally go over, but I actually usually average about 20g.

For example, I will buy a bar of 72% or higher dark chocolate. I will usually eat about a quarter of it in a day. I save the rest for another day. I will occasionally have something like a cinnamon roll when I am out.

I do not ever drink sugar sweetened drinks.

For me, it depends on the food. For example, I do not buy cookies for the house. When I buy cookies for the house I overeat them. It is better for me not to have them in the house. If I go to some place like Which Wich I might buy a single cookie and have it, but I don't buy packages of cookies for the house.

On the other hand, I can keep a bar of chocolate in my drawer and can take an entire week to eat it. It just depends on the food.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:11 AM

9,153 posts, read 8,320,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don’t have the willpower to cut them out completely. I was just hoping to be inspired by someone else’s ability to use them moderately. I eat them daily but try to cut back on the amount I eat. Is it ok to eat them everyday as long as it is in small quantities?
Weight wise, yes you can eat them every day as long as you are able to control serving size enough to keep your calories in line.

Healthwise, maybe not. The WHO decreased recommended amounts a few years ago to about 25 grams of added sugars per day. (Heart.org says men can have 35 g/day) Added sugars means just that, stuff that's added. You don't count the natural sugars in fruits or milk. If a milk product is sweetened with added lactose, then you do count the added amount towards your daily sugar intake because it's not a naturally-occuring amount.

Sugar 101

Old 01-28-2018, 09:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 7,857,759 times
There is no need to cut sweets completely out of your diet. The trick is to use moderation. I tried to do the no sugar thing and I made it for awhile. For me however quality of life is important and I just could not face the rest of my life without chocolate, ice cream, celebratory cakes, etc...

One trick is to not have sweets in the house. You can greatly diminish your craving for them if you only eat them sparingly. If a bite of dark chocolate gets you through the day then by all means have it. But if you can live without it on most days all the better - especially in the beginning.

My suggestion is to keep a food log, either on a site like My Fitness Pal or Spark People, or you can simply write down what you eat. If you do this and be diligent about every bite you can learn to fit the sweets in when you have a craving.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 AM

1,462 posts, read 817,485 times
I have a huge sweet tooth and whenever I try a diet that cuts out all sweets, I crash and burn on said diet. Usually the headaches get to me as I come off the sugar, or I'm just so darn crabby no one wants to be around me and I am just miserable. I just can't get over the hump of no sweets, and really life should be about some enjoyment, which means I should be able to have something sweet from time to time while still losing weight.

I started counting calories on My Fitness Pal. I eat healthy meals all day long, I walk on average 30 miles a week, plus other exercise. On certain days I have enough calories left over for a sweet treat so I'll have 1/2 cup of ice cream, a lindor chocolate, pudding cup, or a freshly made cookie etc.

As long as I have the calories for a sweet treat a few times a week, then I indulge. So far I have lost 9.8 lbs in the month of January using this technique. I do not have the headaches, or the intense sugar cravings. I am not Mrs.Crabbypants. This has worked for me.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:09 AM

26,180 posts, read 28,660,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There is no need to cut sweets completely out of your diet. The trick is to use moderation. I tried to do the no sugar thing and I made it for awhile. For me however quality of life is important and I just could not face the rest of my life without chocolate, ice cream, celebratory cakes, etc...

One trick is to not have sweets in the house. You can greatly diminish your craving for them if you only eat them sparingly. If a bite of dark chocolate gets you through the day then by all means have it. But if you can live without it on most days all the better - especially in the beginning.

My suggestion is to keep a food log, either on a site like My Fitness Pal or Spark People, or you can simply write down what you eat. If you do this and be diligent about every bite you can learn to fit the sweets in when you have a craving.
Exactly. People find a way to include all kinds of "unhealthy" foods in their diets, whether that's the occasional sweets or pizza or a daily glass of wine or beer. The food logs really help to budget your caloric intake so you know you're getting enough good stuff in there as well.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:00 PM

29,105 posts, read 13,011,821 times
You can eat a small sweet but I never ate a lot anyway and never looked at that for taking weight off. I stay away from sweets to stay away from dentist and blood sugar levels.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:28 AM

3,577 posts, read 5,984,678 times
I eat sweets all the time and have going back to last February when I started a weight-loss journey which resulted in a seventy pound sustained loss (I'm maintaining in the mid 190's for more than seven months).

Consider this, a single Hershey's Kiss is 22 calories. A row from a Hershey's Bar (there are four per bar) is a touch over 50 calories. A Lindt Truffle - Milk Chocolate (my far and away favorite) is 75 calories. All of these fit easily into my daily budget when necessary (and to be honest, it's not that often). But I have a dish of ice cream frequently (varies from 120-150 calories per half-cup), sometimes with whipped cream (one tablespoon is 15 calories). And I have exceeded my daily budget of 2,000 calories maybe ten times in a year and almost always come in under.

What I avoid are sweets which are difficult to eat in measured amounts straight from a container/box. I'll take a handful of Raisnet's, but usually no more than 10-15 (those are roughly 4 calories per). Same sort of thing with jelly beans. And I never indulge more than once per day and almost never more than 2-3 times per week.

So yes, it's entirely possible. I also think it's a huge mistake to deny ourselves things we enjoy because eventually, we return them to our lives and without having learned how to enjoy them in moderation, disaster ensues.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 AM

12,621 posts, read 12,756,487 times
I've found that elimination triggers bingeing and food obsession. Like NYC2RDU, I practice calorie management. I allot about 300 calories to sweets. They serve no purpose other than to make me feel good, but if that's what it takes to keep me eating well most of the time, then that's what it takes. I eat a Skinny Cow Heavenly crisp chocolate bar in the middle of the day and a frozen ice cream cone in the evening as a dessert, daily. I lost over 70 lbs. No sugar obsession.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:57 PM

2,763 posts, read 2,758,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
As long as you stay in an overall calorie deficit, you can eat whatever you want, and still lose weight.

It is really about portion control and balance when it comes to weight loss, keeping it off etc....

Eating a nutrition plan full of foods you hate, and eating zero of the foods you like, is a great way to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss