Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 09:38 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,799,951 times

Advertisements

I have two jobs right now so it is hard for me to make it to the gym 3-5 times a week every week. I can usually go on the weekends but not every weekend because I don't have a lot of energy. Occasionally if I dont have to work many hours at my second job then I can make it like three times a week. I have been tracking my calories for about six weeks now and I have only lost 2-3 pounds. When I go to the gym I mostly lift weights and do about 20 min of cardio. My workouts usually only last 30-50 min
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 07:29 AM

3,666 posts, read 6,545,567 times
Exercise is NOT necessary for weight-loss. It helps in that it burns more calories, and a sustained calorie deficit is how weight loss occurs, but that's the extent of it. Jogging for two miles is roughly the equivalent of skipping a 20 oz bottle of Coke in terms of calories. If you are serious about losing weight but constrained for time, controlling what you consume will have a far more significant impact on your results.

Also, you don't need to get to the gym in order to exercise. I started consistently surpassing 10k steps per day this past year mostly by altering my daily habits. I park my car the furthest from the door, take the stairs, walk the longest route to the bathroom (and drink at least three liter's of water per day thus resulting in more bathroom visits), will take 10-15 walking breaks whenever possible and generally don't mind being the one to fetch something from the kitchen when home.

Whatever you decide to do, do it in one step increments and not all at once. Many, many, many fantastic weight loss stories started without any dependency on exercise.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:51 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,267,533 times
Yeah you can't really outrun your fork as people say, especially not with a rather short workout or two per week. However, exercise does help to get into better shape and avoid the skinny fat look so I wouldn't totally drop it. There's lots of ways to exercise, maybe the gym is not for you. Find something that you enjoy and you'll have much more motivation and energy to go.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:37 AM

29,625 posts, read 34,077,569 times
Exercise is great for strength, stamina, toning, even mental health, but it's part of a healthy lifestyle, but not necessarily a slam dunk for weight loss. If you don't have time to go to the gym, don't go to the gym. Look up YouTube videos, walk more, do bodyweight exercises at home, and go to the gym if and when you can.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:55 AM

21,602 posts, read 24,739,140 times
No.

Exercise is actually pretty useless for losing weight. Good for health though.

Typical 30 minute strength training is around 200-300 calories, 20 minutes of cardio maybe another 200-300. That's assuming you're lifting fairly heavy and not taking a lot of breaks and the cardio is on the more intense side. Could be higher, could be lower. You can put 500 calories of food into your mouth (or not) in a few minutes.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,758,953 times
Exercise is not useless for weight loss at all. Do you have to do it to lose weight? No. But its will be harder and it will take longer.
Thirty minutes is time enough to get in good workout if you are efficient. Very little rest between sets in lifting - add in super sets too, and turn your cardio into interval training. Exercise burns calories, but more importantly boosts your self esteem, among a host of other healthy things.
Dont skip it.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:10 AM

22,614 posts, read 36,507,081 times
I've been doing a ketogenic diet and lost 25 pounds without a stitch of exercise. However, now plan on adding it in as it will help with the weight loss and of course it's good for you. I have a very sedentary job and it's been crazy busy since I started this plan but now things are calming down.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:13 AM

7,200 posts, read 4,464,773 times
Actually I read someplace that in the early part of the 20th century doctors prescribed bed rest for dieting. As it was felt that staying in bed would keep you from eating. While moving around would cause hunger.

Something that does work called NEAT...

Quote:
Non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) is the energy expended for everything we do that is not sleeping, eating or sports-like exercise.
just adding slightly more of this every day adds up.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:14 AM

21,602 posts, read 24,739,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Exercise is not useless for weight loss at all. Do you have to do it to lose weight? No. But its will be harder and it will take longer.
Thirty minutes is time enough to get in good workout if you are efficient. Very little rest between sets in lifting - add in super sets too, and turn your cardio into interval training. Exercise burns calories, but more importantly boosts your self esteem, among a host of other healthy things.
Dont skip it.
More importantly, watch what you put in your mouth. Easy to undue (or compensate for skipping) an hour in the gym in two minutes with the fork. For general health, I definitely agree. Don't skip exercising. For weight loss it really doesn't matter. It's about controlling the fork and not about exercise.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:25 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,337,858 times
Not at all. I remember when I quit drinking pop/soda/coke, zero other changes to my life beyond that one change and I lost about 20lbs.

Weight loss is 100% calories in vs calories out. You can either consume fewer calories, or burn more... makes no difference how the deficit is created when talking Strictly about weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss