Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 AM

48,407 posts, read 34,555,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Since when is white flour a healthy grain?

I never said anything like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 AM

13,440 posts, read 15,390,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
From what you have said, I would bet your carbs are below 100 a day. Have you ever tracked them? Track them daily and see where you fall. And rice and donuts are processed the exact. same. way. in your body. Your body turns them both into glucose. They are both sugar. If you are eating some vegetables, you don't need fiber from grains. At all. Sugar is what causes bathroom issues although the industry will NEVER admit that.

And I have NEVER said this is the best way. That is YOUR perception of what I have written. Not what I wrote. Because you don't like the phrase "low-carb" although I suspect it is what you are doing without even realizing it.

3/4 cup rice is 33 carbs. What other carbs are you eating? I would bet that you are probably eating a calorie-controlled low-carb diet ... and not even realizing it.
Yes, I did track (though once I hit my goals, I mentally tracked and if I stayed within my weight range that's all that mattered). I eat probably close to 250g of carbs per day. I still eat the same way now as I did while "dieting". My breakfast alone today was 24g of carbs. My lunch is 45-52g. Snacks, probably another 40g. Dinner usually has a starch and legumes, so that's 35-45g. My daily total while dieting was probably in the 1450-1600 range, with one substantially higher calorie day thrown in (I fervently believe in cheat meals). So yes, I do control my daily caloric intake but I don't control the individual macros. I have a caloric budget and I use it as I see fit.

Grains aren't the only ways to get fiber, I never said that. But they are a good source of fiber. You'll need to eat more than "some" vegetables to get the 25g of fiber that one needs in a day. A cup of broccoli only provides 2g, for example. Carrots, 3g maybe? My 100% whole grain pasta provides 7g. That being said, I eat plenty of veggies too (i.e. I had bite sized sweet peppers with my lunch yesterday, yum). And then you have people like my husband who hates veggies and you'll be lucky if he eats a cup a day. He's doing low carb because he's pre-diabetic, and dealing with constipation because he isn't getting fiber from other sources since he drastically cut one source. The liking of veggies is something that is pretty hard to reverse when it comes to a 40 year old man.

Lastly, I freely admit that I exercise. I don't work out all day, every day, but I work out 4 days per week, including lifting weights. So I balance my diet with the burning benefits of exercise. Honestly, when I stopped being sedentary it made a world of difference.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
It is entirely a numbers game and every single diet only succeeds if the numbers work.
Once I understood that concept, the better it was for me. For most people, it is all about the numbers.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:50 AM

This is what I typically do regarding sugary treats. Today is valentines day. I ate a big bite of a chocolate strawberry. That was enough to quell any cravings (because I would obsess about it if I didn't eat at all) and enable me to move on with my day. Weight loss is also a mind game. For me, I don't score any dieting points for saying no to the strawberry. What would happen is that every time I passed by the open box of strawberries, I would desire one. Then that's all I would think about. I would work myself up into binge mode and probably eat four-five. Far easier to just taste one, enjoy the bite, and then be done with it. I probably spent 50 calories today and saved myself hundreds.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:39 PM

50,123 posts, read 63,531,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Q1.Anyone know people who became overweight by eating too many calorically dense salads?
Yeah, me neither.

Q2. Anyone know people who became overweight by eating too many callorically dense sugar-laden foods?
Yep, me too. Pretty much all of them.

Reducing sugar(carb)-intake to lose weight works for millions of people. Why are you taking this as a personal insult??? You don't want to do it, so don't do it. Moving on.
I would add to Q1 that you can’t get fat on high carb vegetables either, even if they are high on natural sugar, like root vegetables.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:06 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,489,756 times
I'm 69yo and 5'4". To lose weight, I have to keep under 1150 calories a day. Under 1400 to maintain, even tho I walk/run 2-3 miles several days a week. After losing 30+ lbs, I've been in maintenance mode for a couple of years but I still follow the same eating plan.

I weigh,measure, and log everything I eat; started out using My Fitness Pal but switched to Carbmaster and like it better. Tracking was a hassle for the first few months but only takes a few mins a day now. I usually plan and log my meals 1st thing in the morning and then stick to the plan.

2 meals a day, no snacks other than an occasional nighttime toddy - usually wine, sometimes a shot of good tequila.

No sugar, potatoes, legumes or grains of any kind. No fruit other than listed below.

3-5 servings daily of green leafy vegetables and/or cauliflower, broccoli, sauerkraut, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, asparagus, avocado. This keeps me easily under 40-50 total, 25 net, carbs a day.
Ample protein in the form of poultry, fish, eggs, meat. I buy locally grown/harvested as much as possible.
Emphasis on healthy oils, especially olive oil.
Occasionally 1/2 oz of kerrygold butter on my veggies. Cream in my morning coffee.
If I don't feel full after a meal, I'll eat some cheese or nuts. But usually with the meal, not as a snack.
64+ oz of water a day, flavored with a few splashes of ReaLemon. 2 cups of coffee, 12 oz of herbal tea.

I never feel deprived and hardly ever feel hungry. If mealtime is delayed, I drink a bottle of water to which I've added some Morton's lite salt and I'm good. The smells/look that drive other people crazy - bread or cookies baking, donuts, pizza, ice cream, pies, don't tempt me in the least. I shop for and cook regular meals and treats for my family and friends and am not bothered that I can't eat everything.
When I do crave foods, it's usually for protein or broiled parmesan veggies so I indulge myself. I keep roast turkey or chicken deli slices in the fridge for emergency cravings. That's a far, far cry from the way I used to be, I constantly craved crispy, salty foods - especially french fries and potato chips. I'm a firm believer that food cravings are ALWAYS a matter of habit. It took awhile but once I quit eating them and broke the habits, the cravings disappeared.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-14-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 02-14-2018, 08:26 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,227,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Thats great news. I hope you can live your life giving up certain foods.
It requires discipline and a mindset to stay on course. I still eat things I enjoy but I guess still too early to say that I won't slip back to eating things I shouldn't and damaging my health...7 months of success so far and I don't feel the urge to eat many things that I shouldn't.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,623,239 times
biscuitmom: I like your foods and I'm just about right there with you. I just started eliminating legumes as I believe I was overdoing them. A few may slip in with some soups but not as a side as I was doing. Doing a lot of reading about the lectin issue.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:52 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,489,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
biscuitmom: I like your foods and I'm just about right there with you. I just started eliminating legumes as I believe I was overdoing them. A few may slip in with some soups but not as a side as I was doing. Doing a lot of reading about the lectin issue.
I used to love legumes, especially red kidney beans in salads and chili, chickpeas in soup, black eyed peas with cornbread, and red beans with rice. But the long and short of it is ~for me, they cause gas and other digestive issues, they lead to cravings and weight gain. I don't need those problems, I'm better off without legumes, and after being without them for many months, I don't miss them.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,245,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm 69yo and 5'4". To lose weight, I have to keep under 1150 calories a day. Under 1400 to maintain, even tho I walk/run 2-3 miles several days a week. After losing 30+ lbs, I've been in maintenance mode for a couple of years but I still follow the same eating plan.

I weigh,measure, and log everything I eat; started out using My Fitness Pal but switched to Carbmaster and like it better. Tracking was a hassle for the first few months but only takes a few mins a day now. I usually plan and log my meals 1st thing in the morning and then stick to the plan.

2 meals a day, no snacks other than an occasional nighttime toddy - usually wine, sometimes a shot of good tequila.

No sugar, potatoes, legumes or grains of any kind. No fruit other than listed below.

3-5 servings daily of green leafy vegetables and/or cauliflower, broccoli, sauerkraut, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, asparagus, avocado. This keeps me easily under 40-50 total, 25 net, carbs a day.
Ample protein in the form of poultry, fish, eggs, meat. I buy locally grown/harvested as much as possible.
Emphasis on healthy oils, especially olive oil.
Occasionally 1/2 oz of kerrygold butter on my veggies. Cream in my morning coffee.
If I don't feel full after a meal, I'll eat some cheese or nuts. But usually with the meal, not as a snack.
64+ oz of water a day, flavored with a few splashes of ReaLemon. 2 cups of coffee, 12 oz of herbal tea.

I never feel deprived and hardly ever feel hungry. If mealtime is delayed, I drink a bottle of water to which I've added some Morton's lite salt and I'm good. The smells/look that drive other people crazy - bread or cookies baking, donuts, pizza, ice cream, pies, don't tempt me in the least. I shop for and cook regular meals and treats for my family and friends and am not bothered that I can't eat everything.
When I do crave foods, it's usually for protein or broiled parmesan veggies so I indulge myself. I keep roast turkey or chicken deli slices in the fridge for emergency cravings. That's a far, far cry from the way I used to be, I constantly craved crispy, salty foods - especially french fries and potato chips. I'm a firm believer that food cravings are ALWAYS a matter of habit. It took awhile but once I quit eating them and broke the habits, the cravings disappeared.
I'm copying this down! I don't know, however, if I can live without potatoes, legumes and grains. I have RealLemon and enjoy it. I just started drinking water with cider vinegar. With a little honey-stevia in it. I'm thinking to get those little containers that measure out portions of food so I can see how much I'm really eating each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss