Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 03:10 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times

Advertisements

A zero carb diet accomplishes a similar result as intermittent fasting. You don't want to fast for weight loss. You change your DIET for weight loss. Fasting is more of a detox. Most of the weight lost in the first 7 days of fasting and zero carbing is water.

Let's say you have 500 grams of glycogen stores in your body and they gradually get depleted as you start a zero carb diet or a fast... each gram of glycogen holds 3-4 grams of water so conservatively that's about 4 pounds of body weight just from losing glycogen and water. The instant you eat a moderate carb diet those stores will fill up, making you gain those 4-6 pounds back.

Add in the extra food that will be in your intestines being digested as well. Basically fasting for a day or two and then using the scale to weigh yourself is about the dumbest thing you can do. You've lost perhaps a third of a pound of fat during that one day you didn't eat... and waiting an extra 5 hours until noon to eat.. I'd hardly even consider that a fast. It's not going to do much of anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 10:02 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
I am thinking about starting intermittent fasting as regular part of life. I am currently observing Ramadan (Muslim fasting month where we don't eat or drink from sunrise to sunset). This month it is 17 hours of fast & 7 hours of feast but sleep is included in that feast time. Few days I decided to skip the predawn meal which meant I had 20 hrs of fast and 4 hours of feast. I didn't feel difference between 17 hr vs 20hr. So I am hoping to continue IF after Ramadan. I have tried IF in past (for diet purpose) & failed because I have terrible sleep habit. When I stayed up past calculated bedtime, which happened often, I ended up being super hungry & couldn't sleep until I ate. Midnight snack was terrible idea.

I realize the reason Ramadan fast is easy, aside from spiritual aspect, is because we have 2 hearty/full meal in the short time which leaves no room for snacks or other junk food, which is my weakness. Also because we eat at night, I can sleep easier. I am trying to figure out what schedule will be best for me for IF. I knoow I have to eat full meal if I do If instead of munching. I know I can skip breakfast easily. TBH I eat lunch at noon mostly to socialize with coworker. I don't get hungry until 1 and really hungry by 3. I can forgo work socialization and start breaking fast at 2 and end at 8 after good workout. I don't know if that's good idea. Or is it worth it to do IF every few days instead of everyday

anyone else eat late lunch (2-8)ish? How is it working out for u

Old 06-12-2018, 08:19 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
A zero carb diet accomplishes a similar result as intermittent fasting. You don't want to fast for weight loss. You change your DIET for weight loss. Fasting is more of a detox. Most of the weight lost in the first 7 days of fasting and zero carbing is water.

Let's say you have 500 grams of glycogen stores in your body and they gradually get depleted as you start a zero carb diet or a fast... each gram of glycogen holds 3-4 grams of water so conservatively that's about 4 pounds of body weight just from losing glycogen and water. The instant you eat a moderate carb diet those stores will fill up, making you gain those 4-6 pounds back.

Add in the extra food that will be in your intestines being digested as well. Basically fasting for a day or two and then using the scale to weigh yourself is about the dumbest thing you can do. You've lost perhaps a third of a pound of fat during that one day you didn't eat... and waiting an extra 5 hours until noon to eat.. I'd hardly even consider that a fast. It's not going to do much of anything.
A couple of points. Fasting does not detox anything. Your liver and kidneys are ALWAYS detoxing your body. Detox is a term that needs to go away in regards to any type of diet.

Zero carb diet? Really? So no vegetables? A very unhealthy way to eat.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Intermittent Fasting or fasting in general induces Autophagy. It's a scientific FACT and yes it's a DETOX.

Autophagy is a natural process by which our cells disassemble and remove their dysfunctional components. It’s basically the recycling of cellular waste and taking out the trash.

When you trigger autophagy, you allow the organelles of your healthy cells to hunt out dead or diseased cells and then eat them.

This involves forming a double membrane around the cell that’s going to be eaten called an autophagosome. The autophagosome then dissolves the sick cell or the toxic protein and creates energy

There are a ton of benefits to autophagy:
Reduction in inflammation
Improved immune system
Slows down the aging process [ii]
Eats up cancerous cells and tumors
Kills infectious particles and toxins[iii]
Inability to cause autophagy makes rats fatter, less active, have higher cholesterol and impaired brain function

More here
Autophagy and Fasting - The Best Thing About Intermittent Fasting ...

and here, all scientific from the National Center for Biotechnology Information
Short-term fasting induces profound neuronal autophagy

Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Intermittent Fasting or fasting in general induces Autophagy. It's a scientific FACT and yes it's a DETOX.

Autophagy is a natural process by which our cells disassemble and remove their dysfunctional components. It’s basically the recycling of cellular waste and taking out the trash.

When you trigger autophagy, you allow the organelles of your healthy cells to hunt out dead or diseased cells and then eat them.

This involves forming a double membrane around the cell that’s going to be eaten called an autophagosome. The autophagosome then dissolves the sick cell or the toxic protein and creates energy

There are a ton of benefits to autophagy:
Reduction in inflammation
Improved immune system
Slows down the aging process [ii]
Eats up cancerous cells and tumors
Kills infectious particles and toxins[iii]
Inability to cause autophagy makes rats fatter, less active, have higher cholesterol and impaired brain function

More here
Autophagy and Fasting - The Best Thing About Intermittent Fasting ...

and here, all scientific from the National Center for Biotechnology Information
Short-term fasting induces profound neuronal autophagy
That may or may not be true - did not see any peer reviewed evidence, just a guy wanting to sell a book. It is interesting however and a great health benefit if it is really something that is happening.
The word detox has been thrown around in every kind of diet there is - and people buy into it. Our bodies are always detoxing. There is no juice detox or colon cleanse detox or eat papaya all day long detox. Its a buzzword that sells products under false information.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:31 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That may or may not be true - did not see any peer reviewed evidence, just a guy wanting to sell a book. It is interesting however and a great health benefit if it is really something that is happening.
The word detox has been thrown around in every kind of diet there is - and people buy into it. Our bodies are always detoxing. There is no juice detox or colon cleanse detox or eat papaya all day long detox. Its a buzzword that sells products under false information.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990190/

I'm not sure it's really induced with IF, or not. I downloaded some nutrition podcasts and the first I look for is a Detox episode, and if they say they are great I erase everything else.

Wasn't paying a lot of attention but autophagy was mentioned on two different episodes, and while detox was completely debunked for all the standard "drink this!" and "eat that!" they covered this as having potential, but I think it was more with ketosis.

I wasn't paying close attention.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Fasting has been practiced for centuries for it's health benefits, I don't really have to go in that.

The word Autophagy is relatively new. It was brought to the forefront by the discoveries of a Japanese scientist/doctor Yoshinori Ohsumi. He was awarded the Nobel for his discoveries. As for fasting and it's benefits here is more and yes, I say whatever to the naysayers. I can't or don't need to convince everybody. If you don't believe it that's your prerogative but don't dispute without actually knowing and don't come back and tell me he's trying to sell a book, that's totally besides the point. These are not fabrications and this is not fiction.

Here's more from Jason Fung

Here's an excerpt
Quote:
What activates autophagy?
Nutrient deprivation is the key activator of autophagy. Remember that glucagon is kind of the opposite hormone to insulin. It’s like the game we played as kids – ‘opposite day’. If insulin goes up, glucagon goes down. If insulin goes down, glucagon goes up. As we eat, insulin goes up and glucagon goes down. When we don’t eat (fast) insulin goes down and glucagon goes up. This increase in glucagon stimulates the process of autophagy. In fact, fasting (raises glucagon) provides the greatest known boost to autophagy.

This is in essence a form of cellular cleansing. The body identifies old and substandard cellular equipment and marks it for destruction. It is the accumulation of all this junk that may be responsible for many of the effects of aging.

Fasting is actually far more beneficial than just stimulating autophagy. It does two good things. By stimulating autophagy, we are clearing out all our old, junky proteins and cellular parts. At the same time, fasting also stimulates growth hormone, which tells our body to start producing some new snazzy parts for the body. We are really giving our bodies the complete renovation.
Full Article
https://www.dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy

Old 06-13-2018, 04:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I started reading about autophagy 2-3 years ago when I was researching insulin resistance, leptin resistance, cortisol and IF.

I have no reason to believe it's not true.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I started reading about autophagy 2-3 years ago when I was researching insulin resistance, leptin resistance, cortisol and IF.

I have no reason to believe it's not true.
I am not trying to discredit a proven health benefit. My real beef is with the promises of detox that so many diets promote that actually mean nothing. If autophagy is a real detox and promotes health it should be promoted as such.
In the diet industry there is a lot of misinformation and outright scams. There is a lot of money to be made off of people hoping to lose weight. I dont see anything wrong with being skeptical. In fact, skepticism would save a lot of people money and peace of mind. Unfortunately when it comes to losing weight we are extremely gullible.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
The new term "intermittent fasting" makes me chuckle because it's not something new. In fact, it's the way many of us ate decades ago. We didn't eat after dinner - which was usually around 6 or 7 pm and our first meal of the day was 7, 8 or 9 am. THAT is what they now consider intermittent fasting. And our dinner plates weren't as big as they are now. Portions were smaller, so plates were smaller. Just a new name for something that was considered normal behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss