Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 09:42 AM

307 posts, read 363,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If you want to burn off the "reserve", AKA stored fat, you have to empty the regular tank. If your "reserve" is huge, you have to run on empty for longer. It's that simple. If you keep topping off your tank you will never get to the reserve, ever. This is why "calories in, calories out" is not always the case and is important at the same time. If you don't burn off what you eat, where does it go? The reserve.

It's a little more complicated than that and yes, hormones have a lot to do with it but that's the gist of it.
well said gguera. sometimes putting things in context with real-life analogies is the best way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 03:18 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
I am going to try this particular method of Fasting! In fact, I'm kind of excited to try it!

I'm a 59 year old male, and I've lost over 20lbs since Christmas. Mostly by 99% giving up drinking sugary pop and Koolaid, drinking water instead, and just eating a little bit less, with a few salads thrown in here and there. Also, I've increased walking everyday, but I have some spinal issues and can't do much more than very low impact exercise like that. My weight has been more or less "stuck" for a couple weeks at a plateau, and I want to break it. I think this method just might be the thing to do it!

Old 03-21-2018, 04:46 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
On the 16/8 plan, I've read you can still have coffee in the morning -- does it have to be black or can you put a little Rice Dream in it?

Old 03-21-2018, 06:11 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Black. I usually have a cup black (you do get used to it somewhat) and take my time with it till the magic hour I can have my coffee the way I prefer it.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:10 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Black. I usually have a cup black (you do get used to it somewhat) and take my time with it till the magic hour I can have my coffee the way I prefer it.
Technically you could sweeten it with zero calorie sweetener. I like Stevia but the pure stuff. Just a pinch is all it takes..

Old 03-22-2018, 06:14 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Technically you could sweeten it with zero calorie sweetener. I like Stevia but the pure stuff. Just a pinch is all it takes..
Some artificial sweeteners may promote higher levels of insulin response, which may lead to T2D much quicker. Proceed with caution on alternative sweeteners. There is no free lunch. Stevia is still rather new and more studies need to be done related to this.

https://source.wustl.edu/2013/05/art...-than-sweeten/

“When study participants drank sucralose, their blood sugar peaked at a higher level than when they drank only water before consuming glucose,” Pepino explained. “Insulin levels also rose about 20 percent higher. So the artificial sweetener was related to an enhanced blood insulin and glucose response.”

The elevated insulin response could be a good thing, she pointed out, because it shows the person is able to make enough insulin to deal with spiking glucose levels. But it also might be bad because when people routinely secrete more insulin, they can become resistant to its effects, a path that leads to type 2 diabetes.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:39 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
I'm not sold on stevia. It's still way too new on the market. It reminds me of when saccharine first came out.

After the magic hour I use sugar in the raw and organic half and half. It took me a while to get used to the slight flavor of sugar in the raw but now I actually prefer it to processed white sugar.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Some artificial sweeteners may promote higher levels of insulin response, which may lead to T2D much quicker. Proceed with caution on alternative sweeteners. There is no free lunch. Stevia is still rather new and more studies need to be done related to this.

https://source.wustl.edu/2013/05/art...-than-sweeten/

“When study participants drank sucralose, their blood sugar peaked at a higher level than when they drank only water before consuming glucose,” Pepino explained. “Insulin levels also rose about 20 percent higher. So the artificial sweetener was related to an enhanced blood insulin and glucose response.”

The elevated insulin response could be a good thing, she pointed out, because it shows the person is able to make enough insulin to deal with spiking glucose levels. But it also might be bad because when people routinely secrete more insulin, they can become resistant to its effects, a path that leads to type 2 diabetes.
Stevia is NOT artificial. It is an extract from a plant. The stuff you see at the supermarket is mostly filler and not good tasting or good for you. The filler most commonly used is Maltodextrin. Maltodextrin is made from corn and has a higher glycemic index than sugar itself, so yes the granulated stevia you see in stores definitely provokes an insulin response. Pure Stevia does not.

I loathe artificial sweeteners especially aspartame.

I am a T2 diabetic and this is what i buy and it has zero effect on blood glucose. I know for a fact because I test myself. It's not cheap however but considering that very little goes a long way it's not that bad.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

These are actual tests done on different sweeteners. Some artificial, some not. See for yourself. Since I am a diabetic I study this stuff a LOT.

Ultimate Guide to Low Carb Sweeteners | Blood Testing | Be Sure to Avoid These 3!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfqvTZWilw&t=892s

Last edited by gguerra; 03-22-2018 at 08:04 AM..

Old 03-22-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not sold on stevia. It's still way too new on the market. It reminds me of when saccharine first came out.

After the magic hour I use sugar in the raw and organic half and half. It took me a while to get used to the slight flavor of sugar in the raw but now I actually prefer it to processed white sugar.
Stevia is not new, You should keep reading. See above post and the link provided to see what I mean. The taste of it of course is subjective but you cannot base your decision on what they sell in the stores and what you get in the packets. Most of those are full of fillers. One exception to this would be the liquid stevia. Stevia on it's own is 200x to 300x sweeter than sugar. I've been using it for years and am very happy with it.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:28 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:

I love sugar in the raw. It has more taste. Also try muscovado sugar or demerara sugar. These also have those carmel or molassees notes.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-...scovado-145157
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss