Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 01:02 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm doing the 16/8 fast and put on weight. I'm not binge eating during the 8 hours, or eating anything different. I'm trying it for two weeks to see what happens.
That's too bad. Hopefully, it will turn around for you.

I don't sleep well, thank you menopause/post too, so I sometimes would get up and have a slice or two of cheese, no carbs. I tried it last night and by midnight I was wide awake and was going to try the 16/8 but failed and ate a slice of cheese. I will try again tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 01:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
That's too bad. Hopefully, it will turn around for you.

I don't sleep well, thank you menopause/post too, so I sometimes would get up and have a slice or two of cheese, no carbs. I tried it last night and by midnight I was wide awake and was going to try the 16/8 but failed and ate a slice of cheese. I will try again tonight.
I think sometimes it takes your body a bit to catch up with changes, but we'll see...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-01-2018, 11:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
I'm doing the 16/8 fast and put on weight. I'm not binge eating during the 8 hours, or eating anything different. I'm trying it for two weeks to see what happens.
It’s not uncommon for IF to throw a woman’s hormones out of whack. That’s exactly what happened to me: I gave it 6 weeks (wasn’t looking to really lose weight, just get a little leaner), and I ended up packing on 10 pounds, which is a lot on my frame. Mood swings, trouble sleeping, menstrual cycles all messed up. I did not fare well.

Worse still was my foray into LCHF. That one landed me in the emergency room with pancreatitis, but on the upside, I did finally get a diagnosis for the cause of a lifetime of pain after eating foods with fat in them, and sky-high triglycerides: a genetic disorder that causes lipase deficiency.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
It’s not uncommon for IF to throw a woman’s hormones out of whack. That’s exactly what happened to me: I gave it 6 weeks (wasn’t looking to really lose weight, just get a little leaner), and I ended up packing on 10 pounds, which is a lot on my frame. Mood swings, trouble sleeping, menstrual cycles all messed up. I did not fare well.

Worse still was my foray into LCHF. That one landed me in the emergency room with pancreatitis, but on the upside, I did finally get a diagnosis for the cause of a lifetime of pain after eating foods with fat in them, and sky-high triglycerides: a genetic disorder that causes lipase deficiency.
Wow, were you doing 16:8 or longer periods?

I'm kinda hoping it will throw my hormones back in whack. I'm curious if it will help with the metabolic issues I have... but we'll see...

I have found I am actually craving sugar, which is NOT normal for me. I foraged and found some bite sized candy bars in the pantry, and I have not eaten an actual candy bar for years. So that's weird.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Wow, were you doing 16:8 or longer periods?

I'm kinda hoping it will throw my hormones back in whack. I'm curious if it will help with the metabolic issues I have... but we'll see...

I have found I am actually craving sugar, which is NOT normal for me. I foraged and found some bite sized candy bars in the pantry, and I have not eaten an actual candy bar for years. So that's weird.
I started out doing 14/10 and then switched to 16/8. The 14/10 was more doable, IMO, or even longer fasts on non-consecutive days.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:58 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I did 16/8 last night into today, 7pm-11am, and literally stood over my cup of coffee (with 1/2 and 1/2 and sweetener) and my protein shake, staring at my watch, waiting for11am to strike. But I did it and it wasn't horrible at all. Thankfully, I slept well, so didn't feel compelled to get up and eat from insomnia.

I was impressed that testing my AM fasting BG was down about 25 points from what I have gotten in weeks. Very happy about that and will be doing the 16/8 again tonight.

It will be more difficult to do when working as getting to work at 7am and waiting until 11am to eat is hard to do.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:29 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
Quote:
Could be water weight. When I make a big change in my diet, I tend to retain water for a few weeks. Last time I remember that happening was when I started to take psyllium husk every day.
Re: sugar, try eating berries when you crave it rather than candy. It's not easy for me because I don't like berries that much, so I have to make myself eat them, but it takes care of the need for sugar.

16/8 IF is great, and much more doable to me than 5/2. I never was that fond of breakfast at home, anyway.

I also encourage everyone to try a 24 hour fast here or there, if you are healthy enough to do it. It sounds crazy, but if you drink a lot of water and tea, it becomes more bearable and many people report having better focus and fewer cravings. I do 16/8 probably 4 or 5 days a week, and nearly every Friday I throw in the 24 hour fast (beginning Thursday night and ending Friday night). I find that when I am on my period it's much harder to do the 24 hour one so I sometimes just forget it, but it helps me not eat a ton on Fridays at work. For me, this was not hard since I already was doing 16/8 and skipping breakfast - so on Friday I also skip lunch.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:37 PM

I'm going into my 2nd week of the fast, and it hasn't done anything to help my blood sugar at. So far, I'm not impressed. But my weight did head back towards where it was at 125.

So what have I gained? Nothing. No weight loss, no help with blood sugar, for the first time in years I started getting cravings for unhealthy food, sugar cravings which I never had....

I'll continue a while longer to see.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:45 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,314,948 times
Are you saying you have been fasting and your blood sugar hasn't lowered? At all?

Forgot to answer you, OP. IF (not purposely so, of course) is the way that humans lived for millennia. The easy access to food and constant eating is a huge problem for modern man. In more ways than one.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:11 PM

Well, it's always been very unpredictable, even when I was tracking my food.

But yeah, it's still over a hundred when I wake up, so a few hours before the 16 hour mark for fasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss