Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 06:20 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Eh, NYC, summers seems to do a better job of arguing against himself than anyone else could. Just let him at it. On the upside I think we've now established to stupidest fad diet. Don't eat or drink anything but saltwater. Have at it.
After each 72 hour salt water fast, my body fat scale and calipers show slightly less body fat % and slightly higher lean muscle mass. Also, bone density has increased by 3% since beginning this "fad diet".

Losing weight is easy once you know that calories in/calories out alone is the biggest scam of all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 06:43 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
After each 72 hour salt water fast, my body fat scale and calipers show slightly less body fat % and slightly higher lean muscle mass. Also, bone density has increased by 3% since beginning this "fad diet".

Losing weight is easy once you know that calories in/calories out alone is the biggest scam of all time.
Please post your source for this information. Otherwise I, and I am sure a few others here are going to assume you pulled it out of your rear end.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Please post your source for this information. Otherwise I, and I am sure a few others here are going to assume you pulled it out of your rear end.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20534752

Old 03-20-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. How can this translate to healthy weight loss that will not result in the person gaining it all back after this intense fast is over?
Also not many people are going to get on board with this type of fast. Just because it can be done not mean it should be done.
The best way to lose weight and keep it off is a lifestyle change that promotes healthy eating that one can continue after reaching the goal weight.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. How can this translate to healthy weight loss that will not result in the person gaining it all back after this intense fast is over?
Also not many people are going to get on board with this type of fast. Just because it can be done not mean it should be done.
The best way to lose weight and keep it off is a lifestyle change that promotes healthy eating that one can continue after reaching the goal weight.
Fasting is a lifestyle change. The 7 days gets your 11 pounds off, and from there you maintain with one meal a day in a tight eating window, with occasional 48 hour fasts. If you work out more, then you get to eat a little more to maintain your weight. That's your life from now on if you want to stay ripped and lean.

The growth hormone that is secreted results in a downward shift in body fat and an upward shift in lean muscle mass, aka boosting metabolism rather than the conventional wisdom that suggests fasting slows down your metabolism. This GH secretion effect is realized after long fasts. As for salt water: the worst thing you can do is to fast on regular water, since you just urinate your electrolytes out and begin feeling dizzy, weak in the knees, feeling faint, etc. Salt and Potassium Chloride in your water helps preserve your electrolyte balance. Fasting also has a role in preventing cancer and reducing tumor growth. Personally, I hate seeing people die from cancer so I prefer a route that mitigates my chances of suffering and/or puking my guts out from chemo therapy. Dry fasting (no water fast) is more of a therapeutic version of fasting to give your kidneys a break and to dissolve tumors over time.

https://news.usc.edu/103972/fasting-...gainst-cancer/

People want a quick fix that allow them to eat their mainstream 3 meals a day or even add in snacks. I'm telling you that you will have a miserable time trying to lose weight following a strict calories in/calories out regiment, and you will ultimately fail because you will eventually plateau and possibly slow your metabolism as you'll become catabolic from constant chicken s**t refeeds throughout the day spiking your insulin. That can't happen with prolonged fasting since you get the benefit of ketosis during body fat burning as well as the metabolism boost when GH is secreted post-fast.

But hey, whatever works for you. If you want to simply restrict calories and believe that the body is a physical machine run by a simple subtraction equation, please feel free to join the millions who yo-yo trending upwards on a Biggest Loser style diet.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:50 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Obviously you'll have lower body fat after not eating anything for three days. Whether or not that's measurable just depends on the accuracy of the measurement. I really don't give a hoot what calipers or wildly inaccurate body weight scales show. Since the scales work by impedance, it would be fairly common sense that they may be particularly unreliable in a severe dehydration scenario due to consuming no fluids other than salt water for three days. Even DEXA measurements wouldn't be meaningful. You've intentionally created a situation of dehydration and DEXA is susceptible to hydration levels as well. It's not a not-so-novel way of losing water weight.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Obviously you'll have lower body fat after not eating anything for three days. Whether or not that's measurable just depends on the accuracy of the measurement. I really don't give a hoot what calipers or wildly inaccurate body weight scales show. Since the scales work by impedance, it would be fairly common sense that they may be particularly unreliable in a severe dehydration scenario due to consuming no fluids other than salt water for three days. Even DEXA measurements wouldn't be meaningful. You've intentionally created a situation of dehydration and DEXA is susceptible to hydration levels as well. It's not a not-so-novel way of losing water weight.
How can you create a state of dehydration if you are consuming salt water?

That "water weight" argument is mainstream and silly. Fat cells are made of water, did you know that? Or do you also believe 1lb of body fat is 3600 calories lol

Old 03-20-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
How can you create a state of dehydration if you are consuming salt water?

That "water weight" argument is mainstream and silly. Fat cells are made of water, did you know that? Or do you also believe 1lb of body fat is 3600 calories lol
So for someone who wants to lose weight you would tell them to go on a saltwater fast. Now, when the goal amount of weight is lost, what do you recommend for this person to keep the weight off?
And just because I am curious, are you overweight?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
So for someone who wants to lose weight you would tell them to go on a saltwater fast. Now, when the goal amount of weight is lost, what do you recommend for this person to keep the weight off?
And just because I am curious, are you overweight?
I used to be overweight, lost some of the weight doing keto, but realizing that it's too limiting and that I would plateau, I decided to get ripped and strong by prolonged fasting. It works better for me because I drop to single digit body fat percentage and am faster and stronger than when I constantly refed myself.

I already mentioned how you keep the weight off. Fasting becomes a part of your life, as a cancer preventative, to give your kidneys a rest from being fed all the time (dry fasting), and a weight management tool. Whether it's a 48 hour fast every week, or OMAD (one meal a day), really just depends on your lifestyle and social calendar.

Why do you persist on me rather than providing alternative advice to the OP that will work just as fast and not be catabolic?

Old 03-20-2018, 11:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Lol .... want to lose weight? Don't eat for days!

Thank goodness I didn't follow such absurdity. As someone who lifts as a hobby, I find it hard to believe that you'd be strong and ripped doong what you're doing. Pics or it didn't happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss