Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:49 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's not as simple as "calories in, calories out" or counting calories for everyone. I mean if that works for you, great. But that doesn't work for everyone.
It is as simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 06:11 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
It is as simple as that.
No it isn't BUT instead of endlessly bickering back and forth as I've done in the past with other members we'll agree to disagree. There is more to it than simply calories. Yes, the forum might be named 'Diet and Weight Loss' but it is a sub forum of 'Health and Wellness' which to me at least is more important than just weight loss. Many people that blindly push the CICO theory fail to see or even mention that, and yes it's cliche but you are what you eat.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:02 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
No it isn't BUT instead of endlessly bickering back and forth as I've done in the past with other members we'll agree to disagree. There is more to it than simply calories. Yes, the forum might be named 'Diet and Weight Loss' but it is a sub forum of 'Health and Wellness' which to me at least is more important than just weight loss. Many people that blindly push the CICO theory fail to see or even mention that, and yes it's cliche but you are what you eat.
Because that is exactly what it is. However different foods may cause the body to react differently. Low carb is great for a lot of people for more than a few reasons. But the body still needs to burn more calories than consumed in order to lose weight.
If low carb were the holy grail of eating it would be adopted worldwide and those people in other counties that eat grains in their many different forms would have a really hard time.
It works here because we love junk food and junk food consists of a lot of simple carbs. If we had a culture of eating healthy to begin with we would not need the many different diets that have come and gone over the years.

How many other countries have shows like 'My 600 Pound Life'? A show that keeps on going because there are so many morbidly obese people in this country.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:44 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Heh not blindly dude. Health and wellness improved the moment I lost the weight. Nuff said.
And yes I am what I eat, which is a good thing

Old 04-03-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
How many other countries have shows like 'My 600 Pound Life'? A show that keeps on going because there are so many morbidly obese people in this country.
I was kind of expecting you two to come in an say something. The resident censors are back I see.

I've glanced at the show 'My 600 pound life' for about 3 seconds. I could not stand any more. There's another show 'The biggest loser'. They rarely if ever show the people after they are off the program. Why? because these calorie counting methods are flawed. They almost all gain weight back.

Quote:
It has to do with resting metabolism, which determines how many calories a person burns when at rest. When the show began, the contestants, though hugely overweight, had normal metabolisms for their size, meaning they were burning a normal number of calories for people of their weight. When it ended, their metabolisms had slowed radically and their bodies were not burning enough calories to maintain their thinner sizes.

Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.

What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight.

Mr. Cahill was one of the worst off. As he regained more than 100 pounds, his metabolism slowed so much that, just to maintain his current weight of 295 pounds, he now has to eat 800 calories a day less than a typical man his size. Anything more turns to fat.
After ‘The Biggest Loser,’ Their Bodies Fought to Regain Weight

Calorie counting does slow down metabolism. When you finish your 'diet' you must maintain a caloric deficit and exercise like crazy to maintain the weight or you will gain it back.

Low carb diets do not require counting calories. Even when consuming high calorie foods that are high in fat you can lose weight without exercise

So it's not just losing the weight that matters but keeping it off. So much for your 'Holy Grail' as you put it.

And you fail to show why consuming grains is beneficial. Every time that it comes up. I prefer vegetables over grains any day. You probably think because it's on one of your "food groups" which is part of the "food pyramid" which we were taught in elementary it's something we have to do no matter what? I got news for you. I don't listen to everything we are "supposed" to do. I repeat and I've said this before, is the US population in general in "perfect" health? based on these food groups? Quite the contrary. What the authorities are telling us we should eat is wrong for many people.

Last edited by gguerra; 04-03-2018 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 11:11 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I did do carb free before (<10, then <30), and I ate anything I wanted within those realms, and I did lose weight eating a very high calorie diet.

But weight loss is about all it accomplished - it tanked my general health. All my standard blood numbers went up, my auto immune problems flared up horribly. I would never do it again, it is not worth the weight loss.

I can't help but wonder if we are not going to see an increase in mortality and things like cancer in the up coming decades due to this diet type.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-03-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I did do carb free before (<10, then <30), and I ate anything I wanted within those realms, and I did lose weight eating a very high calorie diet.
There is no such thing as "carb free". All foods except meat and fat contain carbohydrates. It's the type and amount that matter and no Keto or LCHF or whatever do not have to be very high in calories. You don't have to eat loads of fat, it's the percentage that matters. Low carb (5%), moderate protein (20%) and fat (75%) as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can't help but wonder if we are not going to see an increase in mortality and things like cancer in the up coming decades due to this diet type.
Like the population is already in perfect health now? And what doesn't cause cancer? Living causes cancer.. Have you heard the latest one about coffee? I don't plan on stopping coffee.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:28 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as "carb free". All foods except meat and fat contain carbohydrates. It's the type and amount that matter and no Keto or LCHF or whatever do not have to be very high in calories. You don't have to eat loads of fat, it's the percentage that matters. Low carb (5%), moderate protein (20%) and fat (75%) as an example.

Like the population is already in perfect health now? And what doesn't cause cancer? Living causes cancer.. Have you heard the latest one about coffee? I don't plan on stopping coffee.

Yes, poor choice of words, you can see by me stating how many carbs I am talking about that I did not literally mean "free".

No, the population is not in good health (generally), and I don't think a keto diet will change that. I always feel better getting a lot of phytonutrients, micros, antioxidants and all the other stuff in veggies and whole grains, and my health markers reflect that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-03-2018, 11:39 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
I was kind of expecting you two to come in an say something. The resident censors are back I see.

I've glanced at the show 'My 600 pound life' for about 3 seconds. I could not stand any more. There's another show 'The biggest loser'. They rarely if ever show the people after they are off the program. Why? because these calorie counting methods are flawed. They almost all gain weight back.

Calorie counting does slow down metabolism. When you finish your 'diet' you must maintain a caloric deficit and exercise like crazy to maintain the weight or you will gain it back.

Low carb diets do not require counting calories. Even when consuming high calorie foods that are high in fat you can lose weight without exercise

So it's not just losing the weight that matters but keeping it off. So much for your 'Holy Grail' as you put it.

And you fail to show why consuming grains is beneficial. Every time that it comes up. I prefer vegetables over grains any day. You probably think because it's on one of your "food groups" which is part of the "food pyramid" which we were taught in elementary it's something we have to do no matter what? I got news for you. I don't listen to everything we are "supposed" to do. I repeat and I've said this before, is the US population in general in "perfect" health? based on these food groups? Quite the contrary. What the authorities are telling us we should eat is wrong for many people.
You crack me up with your "censorship" nonsense. You just like to hear yourself talk, bro. no one is censoring you, obviously.

I don't have to maintain a caloric deficit to keep the weight off.

I average 1700 calories over the course of a week because I don't need to eat any more. I'm used to being full on less food. I can eat up to 2100 without gaining weight btw. Some days I eat 1500, other days 1600..I eat til I'm satiated. When you're eating healthier food, you don't pig out so reaching 2100 would be a stretch for me. I do treat myself to a cheat day though, been doing that for two years.

And you're right, it's not all about losing weight. It's keeping it off. Been over a year of being free of 70 pounds of fat and still going strong. I'm in the best shape EVER. I'm not just lean, I'm fit, which I wasn't even in my 20s. This 42 year old woman picks heavy things up and feels GREAT. Stop the hating.

I've posted my health numbers debunking many things you mention. Yet you've never posted yours. I've been my most honest on this board, I have nothing to hide. No computer screen to hide behind.

And I "exercise like crazy" not because of weight loss, it's because I've become reborn and like fitness. I'm getting older by the day and I am not content just sitting on my butt with arthritic knees. God gave me the tools to do something with my body and i'm using them. It's not about weight at all...it's about how I FEEL. At this point, the weight is gone. It's about actually being a fit person. Advocating a sedentary lifestyle if a person is able to do more is folly. You'll weigh less, sure, but you're not going to be fit. You'll still huff and puff up a flight of stairs. I don't want to return to that.

PS - people who do low carb aren't "counting calories" but they fret over carb grams. If they overeat, they'll gain weight like anyone else. The only thing I'll say is that fat fills you up faster and you stop eating (and thereby you consume less calories, thus having a caloric deficit which results in weight loss), but that doesn't make eating lots of fat some type of dieting miracle.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:00 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:

You think people can go all their lives without eating bread, or other high carb foods? Maybe you can but the majority cant. Failure to stick with a low carb diet is extremely high.
The people on the Biggest Loser where pushed very hard with exercise and very low calorie meals. They were set up to fail.
And the whole you can lose without exercising is an unhealthy attraction. People should be encouraged to exercise whether they need to lose weight or not. Anyone can lose weight without exercising, its just not a smart idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss