Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:55 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
One of the reasons I'm on this quest, is that my doctor kept trying to force a statin on me and I've heard too many horror stories about their side effects. I think that as you get older, a pill seems like a much easier solution than to effect a "major lifestyle change" in the way you eat.

Turning 65 last October, gave me added impetus to start losing weight and permanently change my eating habits. For the last couple of years, I half-heartedly did my semi-Atkins diet on and off, only to fall off the wagon and go back to excessive munching. I saw the doctor last October and told him I would make a really concerted effort to change my blood chemistry through exercise and diet rather than take a statin.

In October of 2017 my lab results showed:

Cholesterol - 210
Triglycerides - 107
HDL - 56
LDL - 133

In April of 2018 my lab results showed:

Cholesterol - 179
Triglycerides - 107
HDL - 60
LDL - 98

Doctors seem to want to push statins on you, once your cholesterol level hits 200. Just losing over 20 lbs changed my numbers to something my doc was pleased with! I plan to drop my cholesterol and lbs to 150!

One of the reasons I was slow off the mark to lose weight was that by North Carolina standards, I don't look too bad. When I walk through my local Walmart, I almost feel skinny. A few weeks back, I was buying some Atkins shakes that were on sale and the lady at the register said, "Are they for you?" I said yes, and she looked surprised.

I suppose if I was walking down the Santa Monica pier, past endless 20-something shirtless males on skateboards with washboard abs, (hi, jaminhealth!) I'd have felt "fatter" a lot sooner!
I would think many doctors and I don't know that as I take care as best I can and know when that scale gets too high, don't want to hurt a patient's feelings about their weight, so push the statins. Easy for them..and they keep the patients happy, I guess....I'm just guessing...but I have my thoughts on the medical world and the FDA and all they approve as being good for us.

The radio MD is brutally honest in trying to help patients with their joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 12:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I would think many doctors and I don't know that as I take care as best I can and know when that scale gets too high, don't want to hurt a patient's feelings about their weight, so push the statins. Easy for them..and they keep the patients happy, I guess....I'm just guessing...but I have my thoughts on the medical world and the FDA and all they approve as being good for us.

The radio MD is brutally honest in trying to help patients with their joints.
Doctors are too reluctant to tell patients of any age that they're "too fat". Nobody likes to be told that, but it might be the best medical advice to a patient. Spare their feelings and a doc might be sending them to an early grave!

I'll continue to take my "select group" of supplements, restrict carbs and calories, exercise more and ignore any naysayers!

Old 04-11-2018, 12:27 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
I'm lucky in that my doctor is not a pill pusher and very down to earth. he would never say that I was fat, but he would in a bedside manner relate to me the benefits of losing weight. Ultimately he knows that I am an adult and I'm probably well aware of my weight status. Chiding me into weight loss would never work.

What made me embark on my weight loss journey was the resultant health problems that came along with being very overweight. It was already too late for HBP as I had to get on medication for that, but losing weight and exercising single handedly stopped further progression of osteoarthritis. I no longer have to take NSAIDs, which have a bunch of side effects. As I've explained ad nauseum on this forum, being sedentary is absolutely not an option for me. Forget about trying to look good in a swimsuit, I just want to keep the meds to a minimum.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:36 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Doctors are too reluctant to tell patients of any age that they're "too fat". Nobody likes to be told that, but it might be the best medical advice to a patient. Spare their feelings and a doc might be sending them to an early grave!

I'll continue to take my "select group" of supplements, restrict carbs and calories, exercise more and ignore any naysayers!
Probably enough MD's are overweight themselves..I know when I was seeing so many endo MD's for thyroid help, I remember at least three were overweight MD's I saw...I believe I had seen 5 in 10 yrs...

I don't care what anyone says, too many carbs too much weight and spikes in insulin.
Do Whole Wheat Carbohydrates Cause Insulin Spikes? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Old 04-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm lucky in that my doctor is not a pill pusher and very down to earth. he would never say that I was fat, but he would in a bedside manner relate to me the benefits of losing weight. Ultimately he knows that I am an adult and I'm probably well aware of my weight status. Chiding me into weight loss would never work.

What made me embark on my weight loss journey was the resultant health problems that came along with being very overweight. It was already too late for HBP as I had to get on medication for that, but losing weight and exercising single handedly stopped further progression of osteoarthritis. I no longer have to take NSAIDs, which have a bunch of side effects. As I've explained ad nauseum on this forum, being sedentary is absolutely not an option for me. Forget about trying to look good in a swimsuit, I just want to keep the meds to a minimum.
riaelise - Being sedentary is not an option for anyone! Sitting is the new Smoking! Life, at some point, sends a "wake up issue" regarding your health, which reminds you "inaction" is not an option! In my case, in my 40s, I ignored my growing HBP, which at the time was 140/90. In 2008, I ended up in the Emergency Room and a hospital stay with a reading of 238/149. My cute guy days are long over. Now, I'm just trying to stay out of the clutches of the Grim Reaper for as long as possible, while enjoying an active old age.

It seemed I could lose 10 lbs in a weekend when I was in my late teens and 20s but now I have to take a more measured approach. Riaelise, you're my hero! You corrected your behavior in your 40s! It's much easier to maintain the earlier you start! I just wish I had more of a desire to exercise, but my bike riding, walking and tread mill time will have to suffice! Come to think of it, none of my grandparents ever rode a bike. I have to be somewhat better off than them ...at least I hope I am!

Old 04-11-2018, 05:53 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I find weight, and comfort with the weight, a personal thing. It is all on me on what I expect to see in the mirror.

DH is always telling me I don't need to lose weight (he is in great shape), his co-workers (I worked out at his work) were giving him a hard time because I was always in the gym - asking why he was working me so hard when I don't need to lose weight, etc.

While I appreciate the positive reinforcement, it's about my comfort level, not theirs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-11-2018, 06:10 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,394,837 times
You may look amazing to them, but weight loss is about YOU and not them. Take the compliment but make yourself happy.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:14 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
In the last three months, I've dropped about 15 pounds. My gut is disappearing and my clothes are getting looser. I'm very happy about that! But some of my friends say, "you look fine ...you don't need to lose any more. I may look fine to them, but standing naked in front of a mirror, I still want to gag a bit!
I've come to the conclusion over the years that most of one's "friends" would prefer that you not look better than they do. If you don't like how you look, continue losing weight until you are happy with your own appearance, and chalk their comments up to a little bit of envy on their parts. At 5' 9/5", I would think that 150 would be a better weight for you than 186 anyway. And, by the way... congrats!

Old 04-11-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I've come to the conclusion over the years that most of one's "friends" would prefer that you not look better than they do. If you don't like how you look, continue losing weight until you are happy with your own appearance, and chalk their comments up to a little bit of envy on their parts. At 5' 9/5", I would think that 150 would be a better weight for you than 186 anyway. And, by the way... congrats!
Thanks for the support Katzpur! I'll be happy to get out of the 34" waist pants back into 32s in a month or so. I think I've finally found a diet ...more a permanent change in the way I eat that I can stick to permanently. Luckily, I have clothes from a few years back so the wardrobe is in good shape!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:20 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,255 times
Most people aren't going to just say, "yeah, you could totally stand to lose a few more pounds" lol I think saying you look fine/good is just a standard polite thing to say.

And you probably DO look fine, even if you aren't at your personal goal just yet. I know I look fine, but I still have personal fitness goals I am trying to reach.

But, I will say: My best friend has lost 40+ pounds and taken control of her health this past year. She's doing amazing and our friends who are bigger do make digs. They were so used to her being the biggest and now she's not. You can tell they hate it.. There are people like that, but not everybody.

Keep up the hard work!

Last edited by crd08; 04-12-2018 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss