Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times

Advertisements

I've done similar to you. I hit 225, my biggest ever. Decided to make some permanent changes. I cut carbs and potions on the carbs I do eat. Once I got my system down, now Im shedding weight like Ive never done before. Lossing about 5 lbs. a week.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I've done similar to you. I hit 225, my biggest ever. Decided to make some permanent changes. I cut carbs and potions on the carbs I do eat. Once I got my system down, now Im shedding weight like Ive never done before. Lossing about 5 lbs. a week.
That's amazing! Congrats!

I'm losing about four pounds a week and sometimes I stall, but I've lost over 30 pounds since February 1 and that's WITH lots of traveling and eating out. It's really about changing one's lifestyle rather than "dieting" - I know people say that but I mean it.

It's like I was telling my daughter just today - I LIKE dairy products. Yogurt seriously makes me feel happy - I like making it, like eating it, like that it's in this world. Same with cheese (in small portions). But bread and pasta - I WANTED them, I swear it was like an addiction. They didn't make me feel "happy." I just couldn't imagine life without them, which is definitely a different mindset. Once I got rid of all that, and got it out of my system, I feel great and I swear to you I don't miss them at all. AT ALL. Heck I don't even want it anymore.

So there's that.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:36 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's amazing! Congrats!

I'm losing about four pounds a week and sometimes I stall, but I've lost over 30 pounds since February 1 and that's WITH lots of traveling and eating out. It's really about changing one's lifestyle rather than "dieting" - I know people say that but I mean it.

It's like I was telling my daughter just today - I LIKE dairy products. Yogurt seriously makes me feel happy - I like making it, like eating it, like that it's in this world. Same with cheese (in small portions). But bread and pasta - I WANTED them, I swear it was like an addiction. They didn't make me feel "happy." I just couldn't imagine life without them, which is definitely a different mindset. Once I got rid of all that, and got it out of my system, I feel great and I swear to you I don't miss them at all. AT ALL. Heck I don't even want it anymore.

So there's that.
well there's low carb pasta you know Dreamfields pasta is pretty good. I don't do low carb and I eat it, though my grain of choice lately has been rice.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
well there's low carb pasta you know Dreamfields pasta is pretty good. I don't do low carb and I eat it, though my grain of choice lately has been rice.
Yep, I haven't had any issues at all finding gluten free substitutes for wheat products, not that I've felt the need to substitute much at all (mostly cooking, such as gluten free panko). So far so good. I can eat a small amount of rice, or potatoes, or other carbs with no issues. Lots of good options out there.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:38 AM

Update - I've lost 31 pounds and 65 inches! Feeling fantastic!

I am totally in a groove, totally free of former addictions to "white foods." I have zero problem making choices that benefit me overall - and that includes sometimes giving myself permission to "cheat." Like with a martini or a couple of glasses of wine or a small piece of chocolate or a handful of popcorn, whatever. We have to learn how to LIVE, not how to DIET.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:30 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,048,631 times
Well done KA! I found that after the first few days of going off white foods that it was easy to resist them.

I occasionally cheat but am losing 2 pounds a week which is a rate that I'm comfortable with.

After attending an out of town wedding last weekend I was sure that I would gain a pound or two but my weight held steady.

I've lost 8 pounds, 10 more to go.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Well done KA! I found that after the first few days of going off white foods that it was easy to resist them.

I occasionally cheat but am losing 2 pounds a week which is a rate that I'm comfortable with.

After attending an out of town wedding last weekend I was sure that I would gain a pound or two but my weight held steady.

I've lost 8 pounds, 10 more to go.
That is awesome!

What's amazing to me is how easy it is to break the addictions. I mean, just a few days and VOILA! Done.

I very occasionally eat something "white" but I do it knowing that it's not something my body needs or even particularly likes and that really takes the shine off it for me!

Old 05-24-2018, 11:00 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
For me, the low carb substitutes just make it harder. It's too tempting to go back to the regular carby foods. It's easier to just cross noodles and bread off my list of food altogether. I like taking 15 minutes to eat another salad or pork chop more than the 30 secs it takes to eat low carb anything. I've lost 10 lbs in 5 weeks, including a 5 day stall in wk 2 when I had a mini pig out on sour dough bread.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:02 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
Kathryn thanks for starting this thread. It's just what I needed. I am doing the same for the same reasons. BS and BP both up a bit and weight stuck at too high. Right now I'm only 8 days in and down 3 lbs. So I'm at the very beginning and struggling. Y'all make it sound so easy.

I find I feel bingey most often when I am angry at something or someone. I thought it was boredom but oddly, not the case. Still craving things I can't have. My DH keeps bringing stuff into the house and he's making conversation about "how good this or that is". Makes me want to scream.

Been walking, biking, and today I was dragging tree trimmings / limbs out of the yard. I can feel a difference in my muscles. 2 days ago could only do half my bike ride because my leg muscles were sore so I know I'm working them a bit. Bad lab / dr. appointment - very motivating.

I'm impressed how quickly you all seem to lose. I've never lost at that rate. Just cut out sugar (except for one bad day) and a lot of carbs. Takes longer to eat, no grabbing on the go. Turkey sandwich with lettuce wrap harder to eat, 2 hands instead of one! Hope to get there. Need to. Bad BS runs in family and I don't want that.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:01 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
good on you, KA.

truth is weight loss should be something that's doable. Considering it's a lifestyle change (as it should be), it needs to be something that you can live with.

the key to my loss was finding something that I could live with that didn't drive me batty.

im not going to say it was easy or effortless, because it wasn't easy reconditioning myself since I had some pretty ingrained bad habits but other than that it wasn't impossibly hard. The real test, to me at least, is after the loss. it's been 18 months since I hit my goal (being out of the "overweight" category) and a year of staying in the 150 lb range. to keep myself on track I goodwilled all of the bigger clothes and have retained only a few size 12s. This has encouraged me to keep my weight down because I don't want to buy new clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss