Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB0925 View Post
Congratulations!! I just started this journey..I am trying to lose 20-25lbs.
Good luck! It will make a positive difference!

As of this morning, down 27.2 pounds! WOOHOOO!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:04 AM

Just took my weekly measurements and I've lost 2.25 more inches, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE GAINED AN INCH IN EACH CALF BECAUSE I'VE BEEN WORKING OUT! So that's a total of 52.25 inches GONE, baby!!!!!! In 12 weeks. That's an average of over 4 inches a week. That adds up. I have had to go buy a bunch of new clothes. And I've "only" lost 28 pounds but for me, it's the inches that really count!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:59 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just took my weekly measurements and I've lost 2.25 more inches, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE GAINED AN INCH IN EACH CALF BECAUSE I'VE BEEN WORKING OUT! So that's a total of 52.25 inches GONE, baby!!!!!! In 12 weeks. That's an average of over 4 inches a week. That adds up. I have had to go buy a bunch of new clothes. And I've "only" lost 28 pounds but for me, it's the inches that really count!
Great for you!!!
Same story here. Started a full blown Keto diet at the End of January. As of the first week in April I lost 30 lbs and knocked A1c back to 5.6

Old 04-26-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Great for you!!!
Same story here. Started a full blown Keto diet at the End of January. As of the first week in April I lost 30 lbs and knocked A1c back to 5.6
That is FANTASTIC!

The plan I'm on is sort of a keto diet as well. It's modified but it falls into that category I believe.

My A1C dropped to 5.1! Glucose is down to 88!

Old 04-28-2018, 09:20 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
You're an inspiration, Kathryn!

I've lost 10 lbs in almost two months, and my motivation was for much the same reasons - looming health issues, prediabetes, etc. I really don't want to become diabetic, especially because it can be avoided if I just make healthier choices. I still have another 20 to go, maybe a little bit more, but at least I'm on the right rack.

I'm using MyFitnessPal, because logging in what I eat every day holds me accountable, and it's easy to see where I need to tweak things a little. Besides, I like the reward that exercise gives me in the form of more calories to burn that day.

It's amazing how much of our social interaction is centered around food, and the peer pressure to "go off your diet just this once" is also real. (I've never understood that; why would you want to sabotage someone's good eating habits?!)

I'm walking more, and I feel stronger and better than I have in a long time. This week I walked a total of 18.2 miles. My work pants are flapping around my legs, so I need to dig into my closet and find the clothes I was wearing before I hit a high of 142 (and I'm only 5 feet tall!).

My challenge will be in the summer when it's too hot to walk after work, but then I'll keep to a very strict 1,200 calories a day, and plan for special occasions like birthday dinners at restaurants.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
You're an inspiration, Kathryn!

I've lost 10 lbs in almost two months, and my motivation was for much the same reasons - looming health issues, prediabetes, etc. I really don't want to become diabetic, especially because it can be avoided if I just make healthier choices. I still have another 20 to go, maybe a little bit more, but at least I'm on the right rack.

I'm using MyFitnessPal, because logging in what I eat every day holds me accountable, and it's easy to see where I need to tweak things a little. Besides, I like the reward that exercise gives me in the form of more calories to burn that day.

It's amazing how much of our social interaction is centered around food, and the peer pressure to "go off your diet just this once" is also real. (I've never understood that; why would you want to sabotage someone's good eating habits?!)

I'm walking more, and I feel stronger and better than I have in a long time. This week I walked a total of 18.2 miles. My work pants are flapping around my legs, so I need to dig into my closet and find the clothes I was wearing before I hit a high of 142 (and I'm only 5 feet tall!).

My challenge will be in the summer when it's too hot to walk after work, but then I'll keep to a very strict 1,200 calories a day, and plan for special occasions like birthday dinners at restaurants.
I use My Fitness Pal too, mostly to track my weight - it's a great app. I have some friends on it too so it helps to be accountable.

Sounds like what you are doing is really working great! Keep it up! Isn't it wonderful for clothes to be loose, or to have to buy new ones? LOL

Old 04-28-2018, 11:15 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Just saw this thread. Good for you, OP, hope it keeps working for you. I've been super low carb for over a year now and it's done wonders for me.
After shedding my extra weight/fat and feeling so many other benefits, I've not been inclined to start adding them back in. Not to mention that after so long without them, they've lost any attraction the ever held for me. I've been through all of the major holiday and celebratory feasts multiple times without any problems at all.

Everyone's different and if you feel the need to experiment, have at it! Figure out what works for you and don't let the naysayers get to you.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Just saw this thread. Good for you, OP, hope it keeps working for you. I've been super low carb for over a year now and it's done wonders for me.
After shedding my extra weight/fat and feeling so many other benefits, I've not been inclined to start adding them back in. Not to mention that after so long without them, they've lost any attraction the ever held for me. I've been through all of the major holiday and celebratory feasts multiple times without any problems at all.

Everyone's different and if you feel the need to experiment, have at it! Figure out what works for you and don't let the naysayers get to you.
Right on - now that they have been out of my diet for three months, I don't miss them at all and am totally not tempted by them. I mean, totally. I hosted a little party at my house a few nights ago, and even bought some cookies and a pound cake, cut the pound cake up, put it on a plate, etc and never once was tempted. I didn't eat a single carb that night even though people brought other carb laden stuff. I wasn't tempted in the least. In fact, I distinctly had an aversion to the carb stuff.

I lost another pound so I'm at nearly 30 pounds lost and I feel fantastic. Looking forward to vacation this next week. We're going to the beach so I am not too worried about gaining since I love me some seafood and there should be lots of healthy choices there!

Our vacation tradition is having a Bloody Mary at the airport, no matter what time we're there. Tito's vodka is gluten free - I'm just sayin'.

I had to go out and buy all new undies and lots of new clothes. Darn it.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:29 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,332 times
I also have found my BP and FBS creeping up and also need to lose around 10 pounds, which I hope will help my numbers. Reading over this thread and the one on carbs reminded me that I had effortlessly lost weight in the past by cutting out the "5 whites"---sugar, bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. So I am embarking on this regime again and have already lost a couple of pounds.

Several of my friends have lost weight by portion control and I thought that would work for me but it didn't. Even after cutting out my daily glass of wine and my 4 mini pieces of dark chocolate I continued to slowly gain.

Different strokes for different folks---so we'll see how it goes this time.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:16 AM

As of this morning, I've lost a total of 30 pounds! WOOHOOOOO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss