Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 11:13 AM

227 posts, read 247,231 times

Advertisements

I posted this under “Food and Drink,” but this may be a better forum for my question...(Please delete if necessary as I don’t know which forum will give me the best advice).

I’m brand new to the smoothie world. I’m starting to change my eating habits and need ideas for great tasting smoothies for breakfast (it will act as a meal replacement). I’m also in the process of losing 30lbs, so these drinks must be super healthy. Can anyone suggest good smoothie recipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 11:21 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
100% veggie smoothie. This means ABSOLUTELY NO FRUIT in it.

I am personally not a fan of "smoothies" or "shakes" for people who need to LOSE weight. Because they are far from satiating many people end up "drinking" waaaaaaaay too many servings of food, losing all the fiber content, and STILL being hungry and therefore eating after or before the shake.

My go-to "smoothie":

Raw baby leaf spinach
Kale
4-5 blueberries
1/4 banana
Unsweetened plain almond milk
Tablespoon of raw unsalted organic almond butter (protien)

thats it.

The moment you start adding all kinds of fruit to your smooties is the moment when you start to defeat your purpose (if your purpose is weight loss). Try to go for 100% veggies instead of any fruit.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
All I can tell you is that I have lost over 30 lbs since February and I drink a smoothie made from some sort of fruit (usually) nearly every morning. This is what I put in mine most of the time and it's yummy yummy yummy:

1 mango
1 cup non fat Greek yogurt
A splash of non fat milk
Stevia or a bit of honey to taste (not a lot)
Turmeric
A sprinkling of walnuts

If I have spinach and/or blueberries on hand, I throw a bit of that in there.

I love it. I am not afraid to include a few fruits in my daily food intake - an apple, a couple of clementines, a mango, some strawberries or blueberries - not all of them every day but I eat at least one of the above every day, usually at breakfast time.

For me the main culprits seem to be gluten, white sugar, white flour in general, pasta, rice, potatoes (though I can eat a bit of baked potato without gaining any weight). I don't count calories but I do stick to non fat dairy products, low fat when it comes to preparation, lean meats, lots of veggies and some fruits. No processed foods. And I drink a whole lot of water!

I did a quick assessment though of the calorie count of the smoothie I just posted and it's like this:

8 oz non fat greek yogurt - 120
1 cup of mango - 100
Splash of non fat milk - 25
Tbsp of honey - 60
Walnuts - 1/8 cup - 100

Total - about 385 calories. That's not bad for breakfast. And it's super healthy. Any additional calories from tumeric or spinach or a few blueberries would be negligible.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:38 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
My basic smoothie's been

1 cup of yogurt for volume (90-100)
1 cup of blueberries/rasperries/strawberries (46-80 calories)
Some nuts if you want to put protein in there.

Berries are great because they offer lots of nutrition but are under 100 calories.

Breakfast is probably the only meal I drink. Lately I've started drinking Muscle Milk's 100 calorie shake. Does a decent job filling me up and only 100.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:53 PM

227 posts, read 247,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that I have lost over 30 lbs since February
That’s awesome! How did you accomplish that?

And thank you for those that have given me recipes to try

Old 06-05-2018, 05:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
My go-to breakfast smoothie:
1/2 banana
2C spinach/kale "power greens" I buy a big bag of it fresh at Costco and toss it in the freezer.
Handful of frozen "mixed berries"
Enough water to blend without being too thick or too thin.

Low in calories and not too bad on sugars.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:11 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
I posted this under “Food and Drink,” but this may be a better forum for my question...(Please delete if necessary as I don’t know which forum will give me the best advice).

I’m brand new to the smoothie world. I’m starting to change my eating habits and need ideas for great tasting smoothies for breakfast (it will act as a meal replacement). I’m also in the process of losing 30lbs, so these drinks must be super healthy. Can anyone suggest good smoothie recipes?
Just buy this, and put a scoop or two in a blender with some water and voila, you'll have a great tasting smoothing that is basically pure protein and will keep you full for quite some time.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutri...%2Bcasein&th=1

Old 06-06-2018, 12:14 AM

5 posts, read 3,380 times
Quote:

I did a quick assessment though of the calorie count of the smoothie I just posted and it's like this:

1 cup of mango - 100
Tbsp of honey - 60
Walnuts - 1/8 cup - 100

Hi I have been following this forum for a while and have just joined. This recipe gets my thumbs up

Old 06-06-2018, 07:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
That’s awesome! How did you accomplish that?

And thank you for those that have given me recipes to try
Thank you! Basically I cut out everything "white" for thirty days - all gluten, sugar, breads, potatoes, rice, that sort of thing. Low fat, only lean meats, and lots of green veggies (and I also allowed myself apples, oranges, and strawberries the first 30 days). I drank and still drink about 100 oz of water per day - I always drink a bottle of water before eating. I lost about 16 pounds in 30 days. Now I've gone on vacation twice (not watching what I ate or drank), and I've added back non fat dairy, some additional fruits, and found that I can add small amounts of rice or potatoes as well. I found out that I simply can't eat gluten in any form. Oddly, I also can't eat avocados. But I can eat up to 2 eggs a day, and also yogurt and some non fat dairy and a small amount of cheese. Now I'm losing a pound or two a week, which is fine with me as long as I continue to lose.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:07 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
1 mango
1 cup non fat Greek yogurt
A splash of non fat milk
Stevia or a bit of honey to taste (not a lot)
Turmeric
A sprinkling of walnuts

If I have spinach and/or blueberries on hand, I throw a bit of that in there.

1 cup of mango - 100
Tbsp of honey - 60
Walnuts - 1/8 cup - 100

Total - about 385 calories. That's not bad for breakfast. And it's super healthy. Any additional calories from tumeric or spinach or a few blueberries would be negligible.
This isnt too bad, but the OP is looking for "LOW SUGAR". When you consider that one small mango has approx 28g of sugar then you add, honey, and yogurt then the sugar count goes up a bit. Consider this, one mango has 28g of sugar compared to one can of coke which has 38g of sugar. That is a LOT. Bananas have even MORE sugar than mango, which is why for my shakes I only use 1/4 of the banana.

This is why I always say that shakes/smoothies should be primarily vegetables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss