Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 04:59 AM

7,225 posts, read 4,510,470 times

Advertisements

https://www.medicaldaily.com/healthy...ies-fat-307300

I stumbled upon this the other day. It makes so much sense.

But I can't find any serious studies done proving this. I have found numerous people on message boards attesting to the fact that chilled carbs make their blood sugar remain stable -- as opposed to spiking when they eat it, at least suggesting that the pasta is changed. But that doesn't necessarily translate into less calories.

If this were true I wouldn't be upset as I like the taste of leftovers.

Actually I also stumbled on to this which I had never heard before.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/v...ong2013-08-20/

It basically says that all calorie counts are a total crapshoot as calories are the potential in a food, based on estimates. But it can account on how you digest it, which is different for every human. And basically that heating food unlocks their bio availability so you can digest it more easily. If you chose a more raw diet less would be digested and you would take in less calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 08:08 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,434,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
https://www.medicaldaily.com/healthy...ies-fat-307300

I stumbled upon this the other day. It makes so much sense.

But I can't find any serious studies done proving this. I have found numerous people on message boards attesting to the fact that chilled carbs make their blood sugar remain stable -- as opposed to spiking when they eat it, at least suggesting that the pasta is changed. But that doesn't necessarily translate into less calories.

If this were true I wouldn't be upset as I like the taste of leftovers.

Actually I also stumbled on to this which I had never heard before.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/v...ong2013-08-20/

It basically says that all calorie counts are a total crapshoot as calories are the potential in a food, based on estimates. But it can account on how you digest it, which is different for every human. And basically that heating food unlocks their bio availability so you can digest it more easily. If you chose a more raw diet less would be digested and you would take in less calories.
I read the first one and it's interesting, however it only talks about blood glucose. Carbs are carbs and you still have to process them and they still turn to fat if you don't burn them off. They did not talk about that. The information is useful for a diabetic (like me).

Quote:
The findings revealed eating cold pasta did lead to a smaller spike in blood glucose and insulin than eating freshly cooked pasta. However, to the researchers' surprise, cooking, cooling, and then reheating the pasta had a significant effect on blood glucose. It reduced the rise in blood sugar levels by 50 percent. “This means less insulin, less blood glucose, less hunger, and more fiber,” van Tulleken wrote in a Daily Mail post.
I still won't eat the pasta but for diabetics that do love pasta this could be helpful.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:22 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,636,835 times
I don't think that would help you lose weight.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-19-2018, 05:19 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,490,853 times
Yeah, this sounds a little sketchy......once you start chewing that food, it is well on its way to being broken-down, cold or not.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:27 PM

23,084 posts, read 18,469,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think that would help you lose weight.
Unless they suggest that digesting cold food takes a few more calories than warm ones would. The body wants to warm the stuff up to your internal temperature. Like drinking cold water/ice versus warm water.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,789,580 times
More voodoo dieting. Its amazing what we will believe in order to lose weight with less effort.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Unless they suggest that digesting cold food takes a few more calories than warm ones would. The body wants to warm the stuff up to your internal temperature. Like drinking cold water/ice versus warm water.
The idea that drinking cold water must burn more calories developed from the belief that our bodies expend energy to warm up. It is true that your body will work to raise its temperature to 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, but it will only expend about eight calories to do this.Jan 28, 2017

Yeah, I was thinking it was along the same lines. But that's not going to cause anyone to lose weight.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:37 PM

7,225 posts, read 4,510,470 times
The thinking is, and there is scientific proof for some of this that chilling starches changes their make up into "resistant carbs" and resistant carbs are hard to digest. Thus you don't get all of the calories in the food and your body works harder to digest it. So say one serving of pasta is 210 calories but chilled you only get 170 calories and burn off another 10 calories attempting to digest it. Total 160. Warm just cooked pasta has only simple carbs which are easily and quickly digested, thus a large blood sugar increase.

The indirect evidence that chilling simple starches turns them into resistant starch is that people who are diabetic do not have blood sugar spike when eating chilled starches such as pasta, rice or potatoes. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.599d6533561c

I guess one reason I am wondering is that these claims were made in 2014 yet no one yet has done a study debunking it. Usually when something makes a big smash people are killing themselves to prove it wrong.

While 40 calories might not make a difference if you do it to all your foods that are simple starches it could make a large difference - 100 calories (as much as 15 minutes or so of exercise).

Also resistant starch itself is good for you. It improves your biome and has been implicated in keeping eaters colon cancer free.

I find it amazing that the heat thing as to caloric intake is questioned I thought that was common knowledge. I just wasn't willing to eat a raw food diet.

Here is another good write up.
Why Calorie Counts Are Wrong: Cooked Food Provides a Lot More Energy - The Crux

Last edited by Arya Stark; 06-19-2018 at 06:52 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 06:39 PM

23,084 posts, read 18,469,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It is true that your body will work to raise its temperature to 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, but it will only expend about eight calories to do this.Jan 28, 2017

Yeah, I was thinking it was along the same lines. But that's not going to cause anyone to lose weight.
Oh those first seven additional calories won't help but the EIGHTH one is a doozy!!

Old 06-19-2018, 06:56 PM

Does this mean I can eat more ice cream?!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss