Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 10:00 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times

Advertisements

If you feel good and your doctor has no concerns, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm trying to picture what a male your height and weight looks like. I'm not trying to be funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 10:18 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I recently measured both my height and weight at home and found that I am 5'11" and weigh exactly 125 lbs. I do eat nutritiously but never count calories, and my diet is fairly balanced between protein and fruit and chips, cookies, etc. However, my parents are obsessively worried about my weight and even wanted to have me hospitalized last winter and think I have an eating disorder, which I don't. My friend's dad even commented to him after I left his house the other day that I looked "emaciated" and my relatives have said the same thing after family parties. I know they mean no insult and they only want what's best for me, and I'm honestly not offended, but I'm wondering if anyone has input whether or not it's a big deal for me to remain at or around this weight my whole life or if it really is unhealthy. I am not even trying to gain or lose weight, I just go with the flow and I still stay at the same weight. Serious replies only, please.
I think you already know the answer to this question. Your weight would be underweight for a female at that height. I'm somebody who was also very skinny growing up. In high school I started lifting weight and trying to put on weight. I still lift and I'm now 6'4" and 225. Some people still think I look skinny, but not as many as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
If you feel good and your doctor has no concerns, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm trying to picture what a male your height and weight looks like. I'm not trying to be funny.
It doesn't sound like you really have any perspective to contribute to the OP's question. A 21 year old 5'11" male who weighs 125 lbs. would look very thin and frail.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:24 PM

820 posts, read 971,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think you already know the answer to this question. Your weight would be underweight for a female at that height. I'm somebody who was also very skinny growing up. In high school I started lifting weight and trying to put on weight. I still lift and I'm now 6'4" and 225. Some people still think I look skinny, but not as many as before.

It doesn't sound like you really have any perspective to contribute to the OP's question. A 21 year old 5'11" male who weighs 125 lbs. would look very thin and frail.
I have recently started working out (literally 3 days ago) just doing weights and stuff, so hopefully that helps me put on a few.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:31 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
IIs 125 lbs unhealthily skinny for a 5'11" man?.
It isnt necessarily unhealthy, but it is on the being underweight side. However, you have to take into account your fitness level. There are a few Super Featherweight boxers who are 5' 11" and 125 lbs.

How is you physical fitness for someone your age?

Old 07-10-2018, 01:45 PM

820 posts, read 971,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
It isnt necessarily unhealthy, but it is on the being underweight side. However, you have to take into account your fitness level. There are a few Super Featherweight boxers who are 5' 11" and 125 lbs.

How is you physical fitness for someone your age?
Not bad. I am out and about a lot so not sitting on the couch all day and just recently started going to the gym.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I'm 39 years old now and 6'0" 140lbs. When I was your age I was 10lbs lighter so 6'0" 130. I looked thin but never was unhealthy and my doctor said I was healthy and no issues. It really depends on the individual. Just get some input from your Dr. next time you see them. I don't think there's anything wrong with being thin unless you have medical issues.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:16 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
A complete physical is a very good idea, including blood work. This is especially important to do now that you are doing some weight training. You may indeed be very healthy, but should get this checked out, as you are thin for a 21 year old man at your present height. Adding muscle may require you to up your protein and carbohydrate intake, but that's between you and your doctor. Adding muscle should add to your weight, should that be of interest to you. Make sure that you are taking the best care of yourself.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:48 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
In addition to what others have already said (get a complete physical, etc.) you might want to try gaining some weight by eating a bit extra. I'm a woman but I was always skinny. People would make remarks. My parents would take me to doctors who said to just eat more ice cream or drink egg nog! When I was about your age I got sick and tired of the comments and sick and tired of being underweight. I started keeping track of everything I ate and every day I would eat a little bit extra at the end of the day just to have a few more calories than I had been getting. I added up the calories I was getting and made sure I was getting extra.

I also made myself drink a weight gaining shake. An extra 400 calories or even double that if I drank two shakes. It made a big difference. Extra calories made me finally gain some weight.

This?
https://www.iherb.com/pr/Naturade-We...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can google weight gain shakes and find something that you like. I gained weight by eating extra calories in food and drinking at least one weight gain shake every day. Try to find a product that doesn't have artificial junk in it and you will be better off nutritionally.

I don't know if being underweight is that unhealthy but I know how it is to have to put up with all the negative attention. Also, I used to worry about getting sick and possibly losing even more weight. It's hard to gain weight if you are naturally thin but give it at least six months of eating a bit extra plus drinking at least one shake per day and you should see a difference. Your parents would probably support you doing this too.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:59 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm 39 years old now and 6'0" 140lbs. When I was your age I was 10lbs lighter so 6'0" 130. I looked thin but never was unhealthy and my doctor said I was healthy and no issues. It really depends on the individual. Just get some input from your Dr. next time you see them. I don't think there's anything wrong with being thin unless you have medical issues.
This is my husband now at 63. In high school he was working out and weighed 155 at 6 ft. Now he's back down to 140, 'cause he's so sedentary. I admire his agility and ease in doing anything. Only thing I don't like is his matchstick arms, but eating more won't solve that; he'd have to work out. Can't see that happening.

Ex was 6'4" and skinny but stronger-looking. When he gained 15 lbs., it all went to his butt, thighs and a pot belly, so not a good look at all.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
When I met my H he was 6' 2" and 140lbs. Too thin. He was young and lean. Just like you. You will most likely fill out as you age. He sure did and it was not long till he was dieting just like everyone else. As you age, your metabolism slows down and add to that a sedentary job. There's your recipe for weight gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss