Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:20 PM

820 posts, read 971,881 times

Advertisements

I recently measured both my height and weight at home and found that I am 5'11" and weigh exactly 125 lbs. I do eat nutritiously but never count calories, and my diet is fairly balanced between protein and fruit and chips, cookies, etc. However, my parents are obsessively worried about my weight and even wanted to have me hospitalized last winter and think I have an eating disorder, which I don't. My friend's dad even commented to him after I left his house the other day that I looked "emaciated" and my relatives have said the same thing after family parties. I know they mean no insult and they only want what's best for me, and I'm honestly not offended, but I'm wondering if anyone has input whether or not it's a big deal for me to remain at or around this weight my whole life or if it really is unhealthy. I am not even trying to gain or lose weight, I just go with the flow and I still stay at the same weight. Serious replies only, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 10:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
How old are you? What does your doctor think?

On the face of it it does seem very thin.

My son , (mid 20s) is 6' tall and weighs 145-150 and he is very slim - a runner and cyclist. can't imagine what losing 20 lbs would look like on him. I might be concerned too.

My advice would be to get a complete physical, and see what your doctor says. It may be you're perfectly healthy, just naturally very thin.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How old are you? What does your doctor think?

On the face of it it does seem very thin.

My son , (mid 20s) is 6' tall and weighs 145-150 and he is very slim - a runner and cyclist. can't imagine what losing 20 lbs would look like on him. I might be concerned too.

My advice would be to get a complete physical, and see what your doctor says. It may be you're perfectly healthy, just naturally very thin.
I’m 21. I should’ve wrote that but wasn’t sure if it made a difference. Haven’t really talked at length to the doctor, and a nutritionist I went to really asked me what I thought moreso than give her opinion but did seem to think I should be heavier.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I’m 21. I should’ve wrote that but wasn’t sure if it made a difference. Haven’t really talked at length to the doctor, and a nutritionist I went to really asked me what I thought moreso than give her opinion but did seem to think I should be heavier.
Young men in their teens and early 20s are often still "filling out".

Why were you seeing a nutritionist?

You need to see a doctor who can do a complete physical, including blood work, to get a picture of your overall health.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:25 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,540,802 times
Do you have a lot of naturally thin people among your biological relatives? Have you been thin your entire life?

Based on BMI calculators, you are considered underweight at your current weight. But some people are genetically programmed to be on the small side. To reach your height, you must have had decent nutrition throughout childhood.

Since your weight is low you should be sure the calories you do consume have some nutritional value, as opposed to calories based solely on sugar.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 PM

854 posts, read 1,702,315 times
I agree that you should see your doctor. You might have a problem with your thyroid. My wife's friend does, and she cannot gain weight no matter what she eats.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Do you have a lot of naturally thin people among your biological relatives? Have you been thin your entire life?

Based on BMI calculators, you are considered underweight at your current weight. But some people are genetically programmed to be on the small side. To reach your height, you must have had decent nutrition throughout childhood.

Since your weight is low you should be sure the calories you do consume have some nutritional value, as opposed to calories based solely on sugar.
My cousin is 118 lbs and 16 years old, but a couple of inches shorter. My great grandfather was around my weight his whole life, but mainly because all he did was drink and hardly ate anything. I have been thin my entire life, but my parents argue that I was once heavier than this (like the 130s) but I truthfully don’t remember. I do eat very nutritiously also, but my parents think the answer is only eating junk. I don’t listen to this though and eat a balanced diet like I should.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:42 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
If you are so thin you appear unattractive to people or can see all your ribs, or look like you were just in a starving African country for 6 months, you are too thin. If you are simply thinner than the average american and they are jealous or scared that you might be too thin, that's not really saying much.

Looking at other pictures of people with a BMI of 17, yes I would say they look unattractive with a weight that low. What you should do now is start a basic weight training program and eat a slight calorie excess and you'll really start to look good. Here are my two basic workouts:

A

Trap Bar Deadlifts
Dumbbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Rows

B

Trapbar deadlifts (with form giving more emphasis on the legs to make it more squat like)
Pull Ups
Shoulder Press

Also the basic truth is as long as you don't overeat Fructose or Alcohol, you can pretty much eat anything you want and with a body fat percentage that low, it's not really going to hurt you in any way. Enjoy pizza, burgers, or whatever... especially if you do take up weight lifting, you will need a caloric surplus. Saturated fat is not bad for you in moderation, and carbs are fine for you especially starches if you don't have blood sugar problems.

Last edited by sholomar; 07-01-2018 at 09:35 AM..

Old 07-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,612 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Otherwise, are you healthy? Do you have strength and stamina, and do you rarely get sick?

Old 07-02-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Otherwise, are you healthy? Do you have strength and stamina, and do you rarely get sick?
I do have strength and stamina, and I hardly ever get sick (maybe 2 colds on average per year, and nothing more severe than that in about 3 years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss