Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 04:19 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainareich View Post
Gaining weight in my stomach area make me feel uncomfortable and unattractive, i believe the fat is pinchable kind and its just under my skin. It can also be dangerous?
Weight training and diet. Throw out the sodas and sports drinks, pick up the water and non-sugar green tea.

Cut out the carbs (if it tastes good, it's probably a carb)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 06:44 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Lol, how much you wanna bet on that? I'd like to start at $1 million please, but I'm good for up to $1 Trillion so long as you can prove you're good for it. I'll gladly get fat again for that kind of money. Easiest money I could ever earn....
I wasn't asking that, I doubt you have followed a modified paleo diet that is completely gluten free. I haven't counted calories for years and lost 40 pounds in the first year following such an approach. It is the approach of consuming wheat that necessitates the need to count calories as modern wheat is an appetite stimulant found in most processed food, frozen food, and fast food.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:26 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I wasn't asking that, I doubt you have followed a modified paleo diet that is completely gluten free. I haven't counted calories for years and lost 40 pounds in the first year following such an approach. It is the approach of consuming wheat that necessitates the need to count calories as modern wheat is an appetite stimulant found in most processed food, frozen food, and fast food.
I was completely gluten free for almost 2 years (hoping it would treat my psoriasis) and I lost no weight.

Good thing as I weighed 110 lbs, so I'm happy about that. Of course, I have never eaten a lot of junk food or anything, which is where I think eliminating wheat helps some people with poor eating habits.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-08-2018, 11:04 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I agree with the minimal white/processed carbs. Salad/roasted veggies and a lean protein, whether animal or non-animal, is the answer. Whenever I eat that way, the weight drops off, and seems a lot comes from my mid-section which is where I tend to accumulate most of my weight.

Ever heard of "beer belly"???

Guess what, beer is "liquid bread" made from grains -- and it puts weight on one's mid-section.

Personally, I've never heard of broccoli or lettuce belly!

Old 07-08-2018, 11:54 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I agree with the minimal white/processed carbs. Salad/roasted veggies and a lean protein, whether animal or non-animal, is the answer. Whenever I eat that way, the weight drops off, and seems a lot comes from my mid-section which is where I tend to accumulate most of my weight.

Ever heard of "beer belly"???

Guess what, beer is "liquid bread" made from grains -- and it puts weight on one's mid-section.

Personally, I've never heard of broccoli or lettuce belly!
You can drink beer and not gain weight if you drink it in moderation and watch your caloric intake. Lots of healthy eaters eat grains, albeit not in fast or pre-processed foods, but actual whole grains and they are no worse for wear.

The problem with telling people they should eliminate food groups is that the vast majority that do that end of failing and gaining the weight back. A saner approach is to focus on healthy, minimally processed foods.
One needs to be able to live with they way they eat after they lose the weight. Who wants to just eat veggies and animal protein for the rest of their lives?
Its an individual journey and what works for me or you may not work for anyone else.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You can drink beer and not gain weight if you drink it in moderation and watch your caloric intake. Lots of healthy eaters eat grains, albeit not in fast or pre-processed foods, but actual whole grains and they are no worse for wear.

The problem with telling people they should eliminate food groups is that the vast majority that do that end of failing and gaining the weight back. A saner approach is to focus on healthy, minimally processed foods.
One needs to be able to live with they way they eat after they lose the weight. Who wants to just eat veggies and animal protein for the rest of their lives?
Its an individual journey and what works for me or you may not work for anyone else.
Oh I completely agree -- and the lil Dolphin would never, ever tell anyone to eliminate an entire food group!!

But what some folks might not know is that vegetables and beans/legumes are carbohydrates, too!

Really no need for highly processed, white carbs with low nutrients and high calories when you can eat carbs that are nutrient-dense such as vegetables and beans/legumes, and whole grains such as quinoa, brown rice, lentils, barley, etc.

Potatoes are white carbs but are wholesome and filled with healthy nutrients as long as they are not French-fried or loaded with loads of butter and sour cream...

And a cold beer on a hot day is delicious...but just be aware of the calorie count and don't consume in addition to your daily caloric needs or you will pile on the pounds...

Old 07-09-2018, 08:18 AM

9,859 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

For many people, eliminating problem foods is exactly the best answer.

It's wonderful that you don't have any foods that cause you physical or weight issues. However, many people experience a wonderful change in their health and weight when they remove a food that is triggering cravings, causing bloating, sparking sensitivity/allergic reactions or packing on belly fat.

I say this as someone who has eaten 99% veggies and animal/seafood protein for many years. Very happy and healthy and don't miss the other foods at all.

BTW, I was a vegetarian for 10 years, that eating plan was not optimal for my health, I do better now that I've switched to eating the animal proteins and eliminating the grains.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:44 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
To be truthful, I have always pooh poohed the low carb, Atkins type diet. I love carbs. I always believed that a calorie is a calorie. I went for years not being able to lose more than 2-3 pounds on any diet I tried. I finally saw someone who was doing the low carb diet losing weight so I gave it a try. I lost 25 pounds in about 6 weeks and the belly fat that I carried for years went away. I have always thought that variety is the way to go in a diet, but the low carb worked for me.
Now I am able to lose a few pounds a month by having carbs, but go back to low carb days once in awhile. This jumpstarted weight loss and belly fat loss for me for the first time in a very long time. I am so glad I tried it.

While I was on the low carb diet, I felt as if I were 20 years old again. I just can't do low carb forever. I will use it occasionally.

Last edited by 4dognight; 07-09-2018 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-09-2018, 08:18 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
If I gain even five pounds, the first place I notice it is my gut.

Carbs seems to make my fat expand in that area at a record pace.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:15 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Stomach fat comes from the liver. Liver fat comes from over-consumption of carbohydrates, particularly fructose, along with alcohol. To reduce liver fat, eat a calorie restricted diet that is also lower in carbohydrates, don't drink alcohol, limit fructose consumption, and take supplemental Choline.

I find it fascinating.. you look at dogs and cats... the more carbs you feed them the worse their health.. same thing is generally true with humans but because we LOVE carbs so much we rationalize them all away as being "healthy" but a look at any person's diet.. if they have any major diseases like type 2 diabetes or heart disease, they tend to be big carb eaters. Just like feeding your cat cheap dry food with corn/wheat as the number one ingredient will give them worse health, filling up your diet with pasta and sweets will do the same thing. No, agave and honey are not "healthy" substitutes.. it's still molecules of glucose and fructose.

Vegan types don't like to hear this, and many of them try to force feed vegan diets on their pets and children which in my opinion is abuse. However, within 15 years I believe most meat will be lab grown. That may in fact put the moral argument to rest and solve this once and for all. I'm looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss