Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 07:40 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Stomach fat comes from the liver. Liver fat comes from over-consumption of carbohydrates, particularly fructose, along with alcohol. To reduce liver fat, eat a calorie restricted diet that is also lower in carbohydrates, don't drink alcohol, limit fructose consumption, and take supplemental Choline.

I find it fascinating.. you look at dogs and cats... the more carbs you feed them the worse their health.. same thing is generally true with humans but because we LOVE carbs so much we rationalize them all away as being "healthy" but a look at any person's diet.. if they have any major diseases like type 2 diabetes or heart disease, they tend to be big carb eaters. Just like feeding your cat cheap dry food with corn/wheat as the number one ingredient will give them worse health, filling up your diet with pasta and sweets will do the same thing. No, agave and honey are not "healthy" substitutes.. it's still molecules of glucose and fructose.

Vegan types don't like to hear this, and many of them try to force feed vegan diets on their pets and children which in my opinion is abuse. However, within 15 years I believe most meat will be lab grown. That may in fact put the moral argument to rest and solve this once and for all. I'm looking forward to it.
I totally agree and you didn't mention grains specifically, a subject on which I've had discussions here before. IMO, grains whether they are refined or whole are not really as healthy as they are generally thought to be (for humans) but that's another discussion. This is especially true for pets. They just don't do well with grains. I just switched my dog to real food (meat based) which I cook and she is doing so much better.

I had a fatty liver at one time with triglycerides around 400. My last test they were 98. I completely eliminated grains from my diet. That said, I do still have my drinks on the weekend and like certain fruits as snacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 11:51 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Stomach fat comes from the liver. Liver fat comes from over-consumption of carbohydrates, particularly fructose, along with alcohol. To reduce liver fat, eat a calorie restricted diet that is also lower in carbohydrates, don't drink alcohol, limit fructose consumption, and take supplemental Choline.

I find it fascinating.. you look at dogs and cats... the more carbs you feed them the worse their health.. same thing is generally true with humans but because we LOVE carbs so much we rationalize them all away as being "healthy" but a look at any person's diet.. if they have any major diseases like type 2 diabetes or heart disease, they tend to be big carb eaters. Just like feeding your cat cheap dry food with corn/wheat as the number one ingredient will give them worse health, filling up your diet with pasta and sweets will do the same thing. No, agave and honey are not "healthy" substitutes.. it's still molecules of glucose and fructose.

Vegan types don't like to hear this, and many of them try to force feed vegan diets on their pets and children which in my opinion is abuse. However, within 15 years I believe most meat will be lab grown. That may in fact put the moral argument to rest and solve this once and for all. I'm looking forward to it.
Cats are carnivores. Not a great example. Dogs are considered omnivorous but clearly more carnivorous than us.

Not every person who consumes carbs has diseases or any sort of metabolic issue. I consume probably 150-180 carbs in a day and this is because I mostly eat 1500-1600 calories most days of the week. My liver numbers came back fine. I don't have a "fatty liver" and if I ever had one it was because I was overweight. I don't take any of those supplements either.

And you know what? the diet you describe -- no alcohol and few fruits -- is unnecessarily restrictive and definitely not something I would ever do. Hell, I'd just stay overweight. The problem with this is that most will not want to follow such a diet for life, not when there are totally viable alternatives.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:00 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Grains do not hinder my health in any way. Carbs - the all encompassing bad word of dieting does not take into account all the healthy foods that are primarily carbs. Baked goods should not be lumped together with whole grains that are not processed into oblivion when they are eaten.
Omitting food groups type of dieting has a high failure rate. It is impossible for most to give up 'carbs' for their lifetime. They will give them up to lose weight and when they reach their target weight they start eating them again.

Thats is why so many people will say they need to, 'go back to' eliminating carbs in order to lose weight once again.
There of course is a high failure rate with calories restriction.
The best approach to losing weight and keeping it off is the one that you will stick to after the goal has been achieved. Clearly it is not a one size fits all.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:48 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainareich View Post
How To Stop Rapid Weight Gain in Stomach Area?
First thing to do is determine why your weight gain is RAPID. For this, I say visit your doctor first before anything else. RAPID weight gain is probably due to some medical issue, or you just pigging out on junk food for days and days at a time. Visit your doctor first before soliciting advice over the internet for your RAPID weight gain.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:28 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Cats are carnivores. Not a great example. Dogs are considered omnivorous but clearly more carnivorous than us.

Not every person who consumes carbs has diseases or any sort of metabolic issue. I consume probably 150-180 carbs in a day and this is because I mostly eat 1500-1600 calories most days of the week. My liver numbers came back fine. I don't have a "fatty liver" and if I ever had one it was because I was overweight. I don't take any of those supplements either.

And you know what? the diet you describe -- no alcohol and few fruits -- is unnecessarily restrictive and definitely not something I would ever do. Hell, I'd just stay overweight. The problem with this is that most will not want to follow such a diet for life, not when there are totally viable alternatives.
Most of the people who really have problems are consuming 250-300 grams of carbs in a heavy sugar diet and getting stoned faced drunk at least once a week. Depending on your genetics you may be able to handle more or less abuse. The amount of carbs eaten in a short period of time (meal size) also matters. If you spread the carbs out over 3-5 meals versus eating a huge amount at once, you'll have less chance of storing them as liver fat. A dairy queen blizzard a day is not a recipe for health, nor is multiple regular sodas and a bunch of fruit juice.

My post was more related to reducing weight gain in the stomach area if you are getting it or already have it. If you are thin, exercise, or don't have stomach fat, and have normal blood sugars, no biggie.

An example meal for someone who is destined for future problems with metabolic syndrome and a fatty liver: Get drunk and order a large dominoes pizza and eat it all in one sitting. Yes plenty of young men are capable of doing this. That's just starch too... throw in a mountain dew or three, or some other sweets it's a recipe for disaster. It's no surprise so many people are overweight.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:11 AM

108 posts, read 56,614 times
While you can't control where fat accumulates, if you feel you are gaining it then try lowering calorie consumption a bit and throwing in some exercise. If you burn more calories than you eat, then you won't gain any weight! Play around with it a bit, test eating different amounts for a couple weeks until you find your "maintenance calories" (amount where you don't gain or lose any weight), then eat a couple hundred less than that and with some exercise you'll burn fat in no time!

Old 07-13-2018, 09:32 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Weight training and diet. Throw out the sodas and sports drinks, pick up the water and non-sugar green tea.

Cut out the carbs (if it tastes good, it's probably a carb)
This song gets a little old. Why do you automatically assume (and it's not just you, but a common assumption) that everyone is drinking soda and/or soft drinks?

I rarely have them, yet I still tend to accumulate belly fat before anywhere else.

Bread is one culprit, but it doesn't account for it alone. I'm not big on pasta, either, another bigtime assumption people enjoy making.

And vegetables are carbs, ya know.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-13-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 11:20 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I wasn't asking that, I doubt you have followed a modified paleo diet that is completely gluten free. I haven't counted calories for years and lost 40 pounds in the first year following such an approach. It is the approach of consuming wheat that necessitates the need to count calories as modern wheat is an appetite stimulant found in most processed food, frozen food, and fast food.

I agree...........I eat very low-carb and do not count calories. Eating this way, I am probably close to being the leanest I have ever been and I do not exercise very much.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:00 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I'm happy to see many of my fitness enthusiasts in this topic!

Bypassing the possibility the OP has a medical problem (I'm not medically qualified to diagnose), and as I think one previous post said, (while it may be a bit overly simplistic) calories in - calories out = weight gain or loss. The "caloric" view of weight gain, weight loss, and physical fitness is overly simplistic, but as a first cut you can't beat it.

I have zeroed in on MY culprit and it may be the same for many: too many carbohydrates and/or just too much food (including liquor) and not enough exercise (to burn off those calories you consumed).

I like to call this my "don't eat white stuff" low carb diet. White stuff is: rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, sugar, and sorry to say but alcohol has to be included in this group. (Beer is often referred to as liquid bread. Have a look, I don't see how anybody could deny this.) I want to make it clear that I am referring to glycogenic foods. For example, both potatoes and broccoli are carbohydrates, but you get a huge boost in your blood sugar if you eat potatoes, but not with broccoli. The difference is that the group I named are simple carbohydrates that are digested by enzymes in your stomach and go directly into your blood stream as sugar, provoking an insulin response which causes your body to store the sugar as fat. Broccoli on the other hand is a complex carbohydrate and requires longer digestion (and thus produces a less rise of blood sugar).

In my opinion the ease of storage of simple carbohydrates as fats is one of the leading factors in weight gain, or can be an important factor in weight loss if you can avoid it.

We have two metabolic pathways, one being glycogenic and the other being ketogenic. Keto is the pathway that proteins follow because they cannot be broken down by simple enzymes and must undergo processing in our liver. This pathway takes a much longer time to process and thus there are no big peaks in blood sugar level. I believe that is the spikes in blood sugar that are very significant in your weight. Eat glycogenic foods and your body is inspired to store it quickly (as fat) rather than face unacceptable spikes in blood sugar level. By avoiding these glycogenic carbs you can avoid the spikes, your body has time to burn the food before it stores it.

So my key to my decreasing weight (yes I am having slow but very acceptable weight losses) is that I avoid the "white stuff" or minimize it, recognizing that liquor is one of these substances I try to minimize liquor. (This works well with my dating since most women I meet either avoid or moderate alcohol.) I try to eat ketogeinc meals 1-2 times per week, just meat like a steak or roasted chicken, often with a non-glycemic vegetable (I like asparagus and broccoli).

And yes, just forget it unless you are willing to face a starvation diet (very unhealthy). You are going to have to get some physical exercise. Maybe some people can keep to a trim weight on diet alone (maybe). I'm not willing to sacrifice so much, so I both diet and exercise at the same time, and try to keep a balance. It seems to be working since each week I weigh less.

I'm happy to say that at my current weight loss (about 5 pounds/month) and target weight (lose 25 pounds) that it appears clear that I'll be my 50% percentile normal BMI before the end of the year. All I have to do now is keep doing what I'm doing.

I'm pretty sure when I reach mid-normal BMI that my weight will probably stabilize, I doubt if I'll have to eat more or exercise less to maintain my ideal weight.

So chalk me up is another person who follows low-carb doctrine, and don't forget that alcohol is one of them.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:36 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Cut the carbs, that is what works for me............YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss