Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:01 PM

33,079 posts, read 12,337,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's a great start and will keep insulin levels in good place. We get plenty of carbs in our vegetables....

Everyone falls off the low carb intake, I will eat some bran muffins with cream cheese as a desert type thing and that bran is a carb. I buy only gluten free crackers, but they are carbs and I eat maybe 6 daily. I don't buy any bread as it's not anything I really need. Or want anymore.

For me changing foods is my salvation as I can't exercise as I have before the joint mess I live with.

Nice to correct people isn't it?
Pot meet kettle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 09:46 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,789,580 times
Quote:
It's a great start and will keep insulin levels in good place. We get plenty of carbs in our vegetables....

Everyone falls off the low carb intake, I will eat some bran muffins with cream cheese as a desert type thing and that bran is a carb. I buy only gluten free crackers, but they are carbs and I eat maybe 6 daily. I don't buy any bread as it's not anything I really need. Or want anymore.

For me changing foods is my salvation as I can't exercise as I have before the joint mess I live with.

Nice to correct people isn't it?
I said its an individual journey. I am just pointing out that there is more than one way to reach the goal.
Good for you that you found what works for YOU.

Alos, I am not going to take any advice from a poster that cannot spell a simple word, hence the correction.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,658,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I said its an individual journey. I am just pointing out that there is more than one way to reach the goal.
Good for you that you found what works for YOU.

Alos, I am not going to take any advice from a poster that cannot spell a simple word, hence the correction.
Oh people make spelling mistakes all the time, we all knew what the poster meant...that's all. Life is not a perfect spelling game. I actually love the imperfections in human nature...but that's me with my let live philosophy.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 AM

102,132 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Once I really started to dread exercising, my choice was to either gain weight or really watch my diet. I went with watching my diet more carefully. Also, eating very low-carb seems to make it a lot easier to be satisfied with what I can eat.........carbs seem to drive both my cravings and appetite.
Carbs-only snacks, or a carb-heavy meal tend to cause your blood sugar to spike, then crash 2 hrs. later, causing you to have hunger pangs after the crash.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:30 AM

102,132 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
JOOC, why no bananas ?
They're super high in sugar, and have virtually no fiber to slow down the influence of the sugar on your system. But to comment on Steve's post, fruits like pears and apples also have a lot of sugar: fructose. People aiming to lose weight should avoid those, too. Berries have plenty of nutrients, with less sugar content, and some berries are high in fiber (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries), so they don't cause the same sugar load as a pear would.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Oh people make spelling mistakes all the time, we all knew what the poster meant...that's all. Life is not a perfect spelling game. I actually love the imperfections in human nature...but that's me with my let live philosophy.
Life is not a spelling game you are right. But to give wrong information while misspelling was a little much.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Within the last 1-2 months, I switched to a different protein bar and, in addition to it being a zero grams of sugar bar, it is gluten free as well. I wonder if being gluten free (no gluten elsewhere in my diet) has helped get past a plateau in my weight loss .

I'm drinking the exact same amount of coffee each day, but plan to try what you are doing re water volume when I reach my goal weight (when in 'losing mode' at various points in my life, a certain amount of coffee has always been more effective (for me personally) hunger wise than significantly increasing my water intake).
If you are not gluten intolerant then avoiding it is pointless. If you are diabetic or pre diabetic then watching your insulin is very important and you should eat foods that will keep you steady. If you are not then no need to micro manage yourself. Just focus on eating whole and minimally processed foods. Fruit is fine, some varieties are better than others. I love bananas. They are portable, nutrient dense, filling and are only around 100 calories.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:02 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're super high in sugar, and have virtually no fiber to slow down the influence of the sugar on your system. But to comment on Steve's post, fruits like pears and apples also have a lot of sugar: fructose. People aiming to lose weight should avoid those, too. Berries have plenty of nutrients, with less sugar content, and some berries are high in fiber (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries), so they don't cause the same sugar load as a pear would.
I eat an apple every day and have lost 35 pounds in the past 5 months. But that apple takes the place of chips or ice cream or something else less healthy. I agree that bananas are potentially more problematic but like apples, if they truly take the place of something less healthy, then they're a better choice than, say, chips.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,413,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I eat an apple every day and have lost 35 pounds in the past 5 months. But that apple takes the place of chips or ice cream or something else less healthy. I agree that bananas are potentially more problematic but like apples, if they truly take the place of something less healthy, then they're a better choice than, say, chips.
The fiber in apples is probably the most delicious way you're going to get it. They're a part of my daily diet.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:42 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Bingo.

I’d rather eat a banana that is high in potassium, b6 and has 3g of fiber than a candy bar, chips and other trash. This whole war on sugar is no different than the war on fat, to the point where wholesome, delicious fruit is forbidden (wtf?). Seriously folks there’s nothing wrong with liking things that are sweet. It’s one of many “tastes” one experiences. There is no concrete proof that a banana will cause fat gain. Every single thing that contains calories can contribute to weight gain there’s no magical substance that makes you gain just like there’s no magical substance that will make you lose either.

I’ll be damned if I have any restrictions as to what to eat again. It’s been two years since I’ve kissed obesity goodbye and I did it eating lots and lots of things. Life is too short. And yes I do work out, which most people who aren’t infirm should
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss