Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 04:02 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm sitting here right now enjoying a glass of wine. The only thing I cannot eat is wheat. I'm OK with that. Everything else works fine in moderation.

This isn't some fad thing, it's just my reality. I wish it wasn't the case in fact, because I like wheat products in general. But I've been able to find great substitutes for those few meals that call for pasta or bread.
It seems like there is this overarching belief that if people avoid grains or don't eat a lot of grains they are depriving themselves. I just don't agree. For most of my life I ate grains like breakfast cereal, crackers, pasta and rice just because that is what people supposedly do. Those foods are all heavily marketed to the public to increase consumption and bring in more revenue to the huge food corporations and the federal politicians and bureaucrats whom those company lobbyists target with contributions.

I "gave up" all those foods but I do not feel deprived in the least bit, in fact I feel like I am in my 20s again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 05:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
It seems like there is this overarching belief that if people avoid grains or don't eat a lot of grains they are depriving themselves. I just don't agree. For most of my life I ate grains like breakfast cereal, crackers, pasta and rice just because that is what people supposedly do. Those foods are all heavily marketed to the public to increase consumption and bring in more revenue to the huge food corporations and the federal politicians and bureaucrats whom those company lobbyists target with contributions.

I "gave up" all those foods but I do not feel deprived in the least bit, in fact I feel like I am in my 20s again.
Right -- I feel FANTASTIC off wheat/gluten. I do not miss it at all. I don't feel deprived. My blood work is absofreakingperfect. I feel and look better at 56 than I did at 50, which is fine by me! I am not interested in physical perfection, just good overall health, which I have and I'm grateful for. No prescription drugs, no health concerns, no "prediabetes" or creeping upwards blood pressure - it's all good.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:49 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post

I ate (and continue to eat) those things because I enjoy them. If I eliminate them, it would be deprivation. Beans and rice is a staple for me and if I can eat it and lose/maintain why not?i never eat anything because that is what others are doing. And I never eat something due to marketing pressure either. Give people credit here, we’re not a bunch of robots.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
For a month I tried walking to McDonalds and then to Burger King and finally to Hardees. I never lost any weight with all that walking and actually gained weight
That is really funny, on several levels. ;D

Old 07-24-2018, 08:52 AM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I ate (and continue to eat) those things because I enjoy them. If I eliminate them, it would be deprivation. Beans and rice is a staple for me and if I can eat it and lose/maintain why not?i never eat anything because that is what others are doing. And I never eat something due to marketing pressure either. Give people credit here, we’re not a bunch of robots.
Nobody is saying you can't eat the grains you like so much, all the power to you with what works for you.

Experimentation is the healthiest approach to diet. That includes both trying new foods and taking sabbaticals from pre-existing dietary choices. You seem to take issue any time someone simply suggests experimenting with the subtraction of grains as you challenge every single one. Just chill and let people express their happiness over whatever dietary approaches are working for them. That is why this forum exists to share diversity of experiences.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:01 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
As usual, I'm with you on this.

I realized years ago that demonizing a food category or specific ingredient was short-sighted. I also developed a distaste for prescriptive diets or strategies which created friction in my day-to-day life. Asking my wife to prepare one meal for herself and the kids and another for me was unfair. And skipping meals due to intermittent fasting or as a means to restrict calories made it difficult for me to participate in common social activities.

Over the past two years I embraced the basic science behind weight loss/management: consume more energy than your body needs to run itself and you gain weight via stored energy (fat). Consume less energy than your body needs to run itself and you lose weight. That's it, very simple and straightforward.

It's allowed me to choose foods that I enjoy but also rely on an improved understanding of how that impacts my body. I can enjoy pizza, ice cream and coffee with cream, but only in certain quantities. I love beans and nuts but also accept that despite being considered a healthy choice, they still deliver a calorie payload and that needs to be considered.

Which brings me to my final point, I consider "healthy" as a descriptor or label to be the new "fat free"; it's generally code for calorie-dense. I donate blood frequently and find it amazing what they offer in their canteen area post-donation. Granola bars are loaded in calories and are more than the gummy bears. My wife brought home special high-fiber sandwich flat breads which are more calories than regularly white bread. And so when I see "healthy" on the label I tend to keep moving along.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:04 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,763 times
Same deal here, eat what I like and agrees with me! We are all different and unique.... I can eat wheat, whole grains, oats, barley etc, etc, till it's coming out my ears and I feel great, take it away ? Ugh, "I feel awful!" Meats likewise makes me feel ugh!... I don't digest it right, so I consume a lot fruits, veggies and the same with fast foods and processed foods, I get physically sick to my stomach.. So I avoid it at all cost, yes I still eat pizza, etc I just make my own!..... Peace out~~

Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
To each his or her own - my gosh, whatever works for different body types and people and lifestyles! I don't understand why people get so up in arms about various foods - but I will tell you this - when I see people getting really defensive about certain food choices, I have to say it raises a red flag. Clearly there are many varieties of healthy diets around the world - live and let live. If cutting out or down on a certain food group works, and you're healthy and feel great and drop some pounds, and your lab work is good, more power to ya I say. If cutting back only on calories works for you and you lose weight, feel great, and your lab work is good, more power to ya too.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:39 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To each his or her own - my gosh, whatever works for different body types and people and lifestyles! I don't understand why people get so up in arms about various foods - but I will tell you this - when I see people getting really defensive about certain food choices, I have to say it raises a red flag. Clearly there are many varieties of healthy diets around the world - live and let live. If cutting out or down on a certain food group works, and you're healthy and feel great and drop some pounds, and your lab work is good, more power to ya I say. If cutting back only on calories works for you and you lose weight, feel great, and your lab work is good, more power to ya too.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Given the popularity of low carb diets and how people swear by them, you'd think most Americans would not be overweight.

Perhaps the truth is that low carb/no carb diets like Atkins don't work that well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss